Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

P
Pa1 posted on Fri, Feb 28, 2014 7:54 AM

For every person who said they didn't like something about Tiki Magazine, there have been ten others who have loved it. You just can't please everyone. We hope, in the past nine years, this magazine has inspired, educated and entertained you. I, personally, hope it made everyone feel that this thing we love called "Tiki" is so valid and cool, it is worthy of its own magazine, because it is. This first incarnation of Tiki Magazine has been totally Nick's vision of what he wanted to do and see, and a few of us were lucky enough to be invited to play in his sandbox. It's been absolutely wonderful. (Okay, maybe not at deadline time, but other than that... pretty damn wonderful.)

I get it. Tiki Magazine was / is an awesome feat! The former owners did an awesome job making it work. And everyone's opinion will vary.

At the same time, just want to voice my (completely personal) feelings about content, and that to me, tiki isn't so much hot-rod, rockabilly babes and general kitsch as tribal art, lush tropical landscapes, mid-century architecture and "escape to paradise."

I can do without the centerfold: unless, as SandraDee says, it's a matchbook collection. :) And, as a young male, that says a lot about how much I love tiki and the timeless feeling it evokes. If I want a tattoo mag, I have plenty of other options.

To me, tiki is a sacred vibe. An escape from loud barrooms. (Even though there's certainly nothing wrong with a sunset Mai Tai in a tiki bar.)

Although Tiki and "Parrot Head" / Margaritaville culture have some similarities, I'd hate to think the two are coming together in an unholy union of tasteless tropical debauchery with a retro-fitted set (on the Tiki side), and nothing (or little) more.

Tattoos, babes, and rockabilly: the world (and hipsters) can have 'em.

Tiki is timeless paradise.

[ Edited by: Pa1 2014-02-28 08:06 ]

On 2014-02-28 07:54, Pa1 wrote:

An escape from loud barrooms.

Man, I totally agree! A nice bar with the sound of rushing water, exotica music, pleasant bar staff... Must ditch work today!

T

When people would come in our restaurant and tell my mom "You know what you should do"
She would say "Buy the place and do whatever the heck you want to"
In a mean hissy tone, Man I miss that.

But Really if the new Tiki mag was limited to such a narrow view of Tiki then
others who like say Hot rods or other tiki stuff, well now yer pissing them off.
Plus you won't have as wide of a customer base.
Walt Disney World’s Enchanted Tiki Room had a talking parrot.
Bahookas plastic parrots sold for $50.00 bucks or more after they went out.
I'll bet there are more Jimmy Buffet fans than there are tiki nuts.
PS I'm not a "Parrot Head".

For the record my brand of tiki sounds a lot like yours Pa1.

I just hope the writers can find their way out of California every now and then
and do stories on tiki round the globe.

P
Pa1 posted on Fri, Feb 28, 2014 5:32 PM

On 2013-05-23 15:51, GROG wrote:
Each magazine is going to be a combination of Tikis and another subject. The first magazine of Tikis and More will be Tikis and Horse & Rider. The next issue will be Tikis and Aviation. The third issue is Tikis and Gaming. Some other subjects down the line include ... Civil War reenactment, Science Fiction, and Greek Mythology.

Ha! It's true you can't please everyone. I liked GROG's idea of Tiki and Civil War Enactment, etc. I guess, to me, tiki is a spell; and one too many "off" elements sort of break it for me. But everyone's definition of "tiki" is going to be necessarily subjective. Although, if one wanted to get purist about it, hot rod / tattoo / pink flamingo / Bettie Page kitsch culture aren't really ground zero of the old mid-century modern / island depictions. And others may say tiki is going to evolve, just like everything else. Etc. etc.

Like I said, just my meager two cents. And you get what you pay for. :)

[ Edited by: Pa1 2014-02-28 17:38 ]

On 2014-02-28 17:32, Pa1 wrote:
[ But everyone's definition of "tiki" is going to be necessarily subjective.

[ Edited by: Pa1 2014-02-28 17:38 ]

Here is where I need to point out Tiki is not subjective, it is rooted in a historical period
with a set aesthetic, everything else we include in today's version (which Sven has coined Tiki Style)
is a conglomeration of disparate styles, which did not exist together previously to today's Tiki revival.

But if you're true to recreating the Tiki phenomenon of the 1950s & 60s, you have to adhere to the established
Pop Cultural aesthetic of Tiki as it was defined back then.

Edited for Grog....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-28 20:38 ]

P
Pa1 posted on Fri, Feb 28, 2014 6:04 PM

Here is where I need to point out Tiki is not subjective, it is rooted in a historical period

Well, I guess you could say I was trying to be political. :)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:16 PM

On 2014-02-28 17:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Edited before Grog see's it!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-28 18:04 ]

Good try ATP, but you still missed one. You put "desperate" when you meant "disparate". ---The Spelling Police.

you go Grog!

On 2014-02-28 20:16, GROG wrote:

On 2014-02-28 17:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Edited before Grog see's it!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-28 18:04 ]

Good try ATP, but you still missed one. You put "desperate" when you meant "disparate". ---The Spelling Police.

DAMN! OK I will fix it....I am getting old now.

R

Besides getting a subscription, is there a place to get the magazine? I found it once or twice at a book store, but can't seem to find it anymore.

S

On 2014-03-07 08:53, richie6 wrote:
Besides getting a subscription, is there a place to get the magazine? I found it once or twice at a book store, but can't seem to find it anymore.

At this time/with the changing of ownership the magazine will only be available at Tonga Hut and Tiki Ti.

They hope to do distribution in the future but when is up in the air.

You will be able to view the magazine online in digital form or if you have a subscription receive a hard copy that way.

Dang, no Barnes and Noble. That how we get it in Hawaii and multi-copies if one has the money.

Please go to website and subscribe. I might expand to other locations for distribution but that will come later. The new edition is out and the next edition is scheduled for second week in May!!!

How do you get a digital subscription?

Thanks

EJ

On 2014-09-22 14:59, SizzlePixels wrote:
How do you get a digital subscription?

Thanks

I don't believe they are available yet.

E

Can anyone send me contact information for Tiki Magazine?
My Winter issue never arrived, which either means there's a delivery problem or I need to renew my subscription. I've left a couple messages through their website, but haven't heard anything back.
Thanks!
Eric

You can try Jeff at:

[email protected]

DC

On 2015-01-18 21:02, Tiki Magazine wrote:

On 2015-01-18 06:29, ebtiki wrote:
Can anyone send me contact information for Tiki Magazine?
My Winter issue never arrived, which either means there's a delivery problem or I need to renew my subscription. I've left a couple messages through their website, but haven't heard anything back.
Thanks!
Eric

Eric - Are you in Pine City, NY? If so, I received an email from you Friday morning and replied at 11:16 am same day (to a hotmail address.) Send me another email if that reply didn't make it to you!

Jeff
TM&M

E

Hi Jeff - PM sent!
e.

On 2015-01-20 12:15, ebtiki wrote:
Hi Jeff - PM sent!
e.

Reply sent!

TT

Looking forward to this next issue! By the way, an FYI, I now buy my Tiki magazine at a store called Creature Features in Burbank, CA on Magnolia Bl. It's a cool store, check it out!

Great cover shot on the Fall edition of Tiki Magazine and More. The contents aren't too bad either!

DC

T

ENJOYED the historical Stephen Crane article, keep them coming (-:

bump

The new edition of Tiki Magazine and More is coming out this week, should be a fun one if I don't say so myself.

Get our subscriptions here:

http://www.tikimagazine.com/

DC

On 2016-02-19 22:06, Dustycajun wrote:
The new edition of Tiki Magazine and More is coming out this week, should be a fun one if I don't say so myself.

Yes! Can't wait to see it. Also appreciated the holiday mini issue a while back.

T

LOOKING forward to the new issue (-:

My copy came in the mail yesterday. A big thank you to all the contributors! Looking forward to reading through it all.

I got this funny fortune in February. Then in March my Tiki Magazine article came out.
I don't know yet if my life has changed but the article by Psycho Tiki D and Tiki Hula
has certainly given me a lot of joy.

Thank you Jeff, Amy and Nick for this outstanding contribution to the Tiki Community.
We love this magazine and save every copy as if it were a fine work of art.

Here's to many more decades of tiki bliss, Wendy and Dan

T

As an older Tikiphile I can relate to the boomer historic Tiki vibe the magazine is taking. VERY good new issue (-:

Just picked up the latest issue Sat the 12th at one of my favorite stores in Burbank, Creature Features! They had just arrived on Friday the 11th. Love the magazine!

Pages: 1 2 79 replies