Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

It seems like a long time since the last issue came in the mail. The website says the current issue is Fall/Winter. On Facebook there is a comment noting the Winter issue was cancelled - not sure if that is correct. Anyone have any insight?

The new magazine was just released this Saturday at the International Tiki Marketplace so yours should be in the mail soon.

Here's what it looks like. Dawn Frasier did the cover.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-04-09 08:53 ]

I can hardly wait to get mine. Congrats to Dawn on the cover...it looks beautiful!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

New issue coming! Yoo hoo, waiter, another hot monkey dog with a delicate yet spicy mustard, sesame seed bun, tomato, onions and a more couple beers!

You can also send Tiki magazine an e-mail and ask when the issue will be mailed out. But it should be in the mail soon if not already.

On 2013-04-09 08:49, tikilongbeach wrote:
The new magazine was just released this Saturday at the International Tiki Marketplace so yours should be in the mail soon.

Here's what it looks like. Dawn Frasier did the cover.

People may be interested that the artist was interviewed in the below video
at 3:13

On 2013-04-07 23:35, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Lost In Paradise: International Tiki Marketplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-wOql78hc4

Got mine at Trader Morts and used the coupon inside, sweet...

Great interview with Chris and "cover girl" Dawn...you both did great. Wow...over 400 people, how exciting. Thanks for posting the link MT.

T

WOW!!! One of the best ever issues of Tiki Magazine for layout, content & photography. Sorry to hear that Nick Camara is stepping down as Editor/Publisher, but Amy Boylan/Tonga Hut taking over sounds exciting. Thortiki

I agree Thortiki. Very cool layout. All the best to Nick. Amy Taking over should be pretty cool :D.

Aloha Tiki Magazine Readers!

Thank you for your lovely comments about the latest issue. We are so glad you are enjoying it! Nick Camara and his crew are already working on the next issue, due out in August. (Yes, just in time for Tiki Oasis!) The August (Fall/Winter) 2013 issue will be the last issue with Nick at the helm, and we promise that it will be unforgettable and highly collectible, packed with interesting stories, inspiring pictures and rum-scented fun.

The talented Queen Kamehameha (Amy Boylan) will take over after that issue, and I know she has some wonderful things she will add to the magazine that you've known, loved and coveted since 2005. 2005? I KNOW! (Channeling Charles Phoenix.) Yes! Tiki Magazine has been around since 2005! Well done, I say!

Mahalo for being such loyal and supportive readers. I'm not kidding when I say that we do it for you. Putting out a professional, printed magazine in this day and age isn't always a walk on Waikiki, if you know what I mean. A LOT goes into it that most people don't know about. Nick, Jonpaul, Matt and I have been brainstorming, interviewing, typing and photographing all these years because we truly love Tiki. Just like you, we feel it deserves documentation and celebration -- and we believe, with all our hearts, in the aloha spirit. We hope you feel that with every issue you've gleefully read.

I won't speak for the boys, but for myself, I will say that I am a little misty-eyed to see the first era of Tiki Magazine come to a close, but so very happy that it is going to continue into its next incarnation. During the past few years, all of us in the Tiki community have been awe-struck with Amy's transformation of the Tonga Hut bar, the creation of her imaginative outdoor Tiki escape, "Mojave Oasis", as well as the great parties she has thrown. I'm sure she will do excellent things for Tiki Magazine, as well.

~ Kari Hendler
Assistant Editor, Tiki Magazine

[ Edited by: tangaroa-ru 2013-04-21 15:20 ]

"Tiki Magazine and More"?! What more do we need? Please don't turn it into another tattoo/hot rod rag.

Still getting mmisdirected request for the signed and numbered lithograph of the cover art. Its availabloe HERE.http://fallingcocos.bigcartel.com/product/tiki-magazine-spring-2013-cover-art

P
Pa1 posted on Sat, May 18, 2013 9:09 AM

On 2013-04-30 11:41, White Devil wrote:
"Tiki Magazine and More"?! What more do we need? Please don't turn it into another tattoo/hot rod rag.

Agreed! Spring 2013 was my first issue of Tiki Magazine, and I was so excited to get it.

But I was so disappointed how much it seemed like a hot rod mag; even the Dream Wahine seemed a little dumb to me. (And I'm a young male, if that says anything.).

The art, layout, quality of features: amazing.

But tattoo / hot rod culture; there are already lots of magazines for that. I'd rather it go in a cruise / vacation direction, if I must expand somewhere for revenue.

To me, tiki is tribal art, lush tropical landscapes, mid-century architecture and "escape to paradise," not pompadours, barroom rockabilly and pink-plastic flamingo kitsch!

My (meager) two cents!

[ Edited by: Pa1 2013-05-18 09:37 ]

To me, tiki is tribal art, lush tropical landscapes, mid-century architecture and "escape to paradise," not pompadours, barroom rockabilly and pink-plastic flamingo kitsch!

You nailed it.

On 2013-05-18 09:09, Pa1 wrote:

On 2013-04-30 11:41, White Devil wrote:

Agreed! Spring 2013 was my first issue of Tiki Magazine, and I was so excited to get it.

But I was so disappointed how much it seemed like a hot rod mag; even the Dream Wahine seemed a little dumb to me. (And I'm a young male, if that says anything.).

You realize that the Spring issue as well as the Summer issue were and won't be under Amy's ownership. Amy does not take over until Fall. So look forward to the "More" when the time comes :)

JB

More is better, don't let anyone tell you differently.

The centerfold photo in the Spring issue was jaw dropping! A close up of Jon Paul's matchbook collection!

DC

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 23, 2013 3:51 PM

Each magazine is going to be a combination of Tikis and another subject. The first magazine of Tikis and More will be Tikis and Horse & Rider. The next issue will be Tikis and Aviation. The third issue is Tikis and Gaming. Some other subjects down the line include Sports, Modern Warfare, Cryptozoology, Civil War reenactment, Science Fiction, and Greek Mythology. GROG really pushing for Interior Design in the Stone Age, but so far Amy has nixed that idea and is leaning more towards Medieval Weaponry. There's even going to be a special Princess Diana tribute issue that will be released on the anniversary of her death. That will be a bonus issue.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-05-23 15:58 ]

AF

"We want more...we want more. Like...you really like it, you want more."

WHAT?

T

I vote "Tiki and Nixon". (Think Trader Vic's))

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 23, 2013 5:13 PM

Somebody watches too much TV. This is why you should subscribe to Tiki Magazine.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-05-23 17:14 ]

T

Tikis on a stick... Tiki s'mores

AF

"You might wanna have more TIKI and your parents just don't let you, but you want more TIKI".

On 2013-05-23 17:13, GROG wrote:
Somebody watches too much TV. This is why you should subscribe to Tiki Magazine.

Yeah, I guess I do...so I'm hoping the first issue is TIKI Magazine & More TIKI Than Ever! It's not that complicated.

[ Edited by: A Frame 2013-05-23 18:02 ]

Oh, you silly, silly ohana. Thanks for the laughs today with some of your comments. The big picture is that everyone is just really happy that Tiki Magazine ("And More" --coming this Fall) will continue. You're happy. Nick's happy. Even I'm happy. Of COURSE Amy and her staff will make changes that reflect their tastes and writing styles. (Though I doubt they will match Grog's imagination.) People, listen up: That's what happens when someone buys another person's business. You're SUPPOSED to put your own stamp on the product and make it the way YOU see it, and hopefully even better! I cannot emphasize this strongly enough -- please don't start rumors. This transition of Tiki Magazine from one owner to another is much, much better than the magazine just ending, don't you think?

Nick has done an amazing job creating the first-ever, commercial magazine about Tiki and has kept it going for a whopping nine years. I met Nick a year before he started this magazine (2003) at one of the Aloha-Cruz shows. (Remember those?) Over a stack of Don Blanding books, he introduced himself as an ordinary schoolteacher who had this dream to do a glossy, big-time magazine about Tiki. With his own money and effort, he made this happen in only one year. He didn't think it was impossible. By issue #2, he was able to make Tiki Magazine go international. Within a few issues after that, the magazine's circulation went up to 17,000 and was in found in huge chain bookstores as well as cool boutiques and many Tiki bars. Every single issue sold out, which is why they are such collectibles now. All of that is a pretty amazing accomplishment. And now, Nick wants to spend more time on some other really important things in his life, such as his two children -- because owning AND being the Editor-In-Chief of a magazine takes a lot of your time-- even a sub-culture, biannual publication like Tiki Magazine. Believe me, you have no idea. Unless you have actually done this yourselves, in which case you know what I'm talking about.

For every person who said they didn't like something about Tiki Magazine, there have been ten others who have loved it. You just can't please everyone. We hope, in the past nine years, this magazine has inspired, educated and entertained you. I, personally, hope it made everyone feel that this thing we love called "Tiki" is so valid and cool, it is worthy of its own magazine, because it is. This first incarnation of Tiki Magazine has been totally Nick's vision of what he wanted to do and see, and a few of us were lucky enough to be invited to play in his sandbox. It's been absolutely wonderful. (Okay, maybe not at deadline time, but other than that... pretty damn wonderful.)

Whatever comes after the August issue (Nick's last) will be through the eyes of new people with new ideas. I encourage you to support them, as you have supported Nick and the rest of us all these years. If you like what you see, tell them. If you don't, tell them. Or start your own magazine. But most of all, have fun, be kind to each other and enjoy this amazing Tiki community. Put good things out there, make good art, write great stories, create new cocktails, play awesome music, be good people and spread the aloha spirit. I love you all.

[ Edited by: tangaroa-ru 2013-05-23 21:59 ]

If you like what you see, tell them. If you don't, tell them. Or start your own magazine. But most of all, have fun, be kind to each other and enjoy this amazing Tiki community. Put good things out there, make good art, write great stories, create new cocktails, be good people and spread the aloha spirit.

I love your face Kari!

Also...

SHOW OFF!

On 2013-05-23 15:45, Dustycajun wrote:
The centerfold photo in the Spring issue was jaw dropping! A close up of Jon Paul's matchbook collection!

DC

You are too easily turned on :wink:

AF

Well put Kari. TIKI Mag will carry on for years to come and I suppose one day my grandchildren will say "Where did Grandpa get all these stacks of TIKI Magazines from?

Kinda bummed though, was really looking forward to GROG's input on that "TIKI MAGAZINE & More All-Time Loincloth's of the Chippendale's Best Dancers of the 80's" issue. :lol:

I love Tiki Magazine. I have every issue. It was my distinct pleasure to meet Kari (and her Mom) at the Hukilau. She and Marina sat at my table in the Tahitian room while the Tikiyaki Orchestra played and I thought I was in heaven. If Kari is still attached as writer and photographer for the newest incarnation of the magazine then I have no doubts that I will be very pleased with future issues. Kari said, “But most of all, have fun, be kind to each other and enjoy this amazing Tiki community.” Well said!

J

On 2013-05-23 19:20, khan_tiki_mon wrote:

I love Tiki Magazine. I have every issue. It was my distinct pleasure to meet Kari (and her Mom) at the Hukilau. She and Marina sat at my table in the Tahitian room while the Tikiyaki Orchestra played and I thought I was in heaven. If Kari is still attached as writer and photographer for the newest incarnation of the magazine then I have no doubts that I will be very pleased with future issues. Kari said, “But most of all, have fun, be kind to each other and enjoy this amazing Tiki community.” Well said!

Hey I was at that table too, remember ?? !! I guess "Heaven" doesn't include me. :(

And yes, Kari's mom is a cool lady. She raised a good daughter. :)

I should be on the staff of Tiki Magazine. I have so many great Tiki ideas. :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-05-23 19:57 ]

That back cover rocks!!! :wink:

I didn't forget you JOHN-O. That was a great time. And yes, I could see you as a contributor to Tiki Magazine. You have come up with a lot of cool stuff here on TC that I know you spent some time researching. Are you going to be at Hukilau this year?

Ha Ha Ben!! That back cover does rock. :D

JOHN-O and Khan Tiki Mon in the Tahitian room at the Mai Kai enjoying a performance of the Tikiyaki Orchestra. I didn't forget you buddy.

J

On that note, Dawn Fraiser (aka Sophista-Tiki), who did the cover art for the latest Tiki Mag will be at Hukilau in a few weeks.

Here she is having a good time at last weekend's Tiki Caliente in Palm Springs...

On that note here is Khan Tiki Mon in a Sophista-Tiki original that will probably be making an appearance at Hukilau this year.

Since we're on the topic of Tiki magazine and Hukilau fashion together.

Marina and Khan Tiki Mon wearing matching Tiki Magazine T-shirts at Hukilau. T-shirt design by Thor.

There's even going to be a special Princess Diana tribute issue that will be released on the anniversary of her death. That will be a bonus issue.

I cannot wait. I hope we'll see a retrospective on the Tiki Farm collaborations with Precious Moments and other pop culture franchises, as well.

On 2013-05-23 19:20, khan_tiki_mon wrote:

Mahalo from my heart, Khan Tiki Mon!
I absolutely remember that night, and your charming self! That was so much fun! It was, indeed, a spectacular evening, and I hope our paths cross again in the near future. Sadly, no Hukilau for me this year, but I certainly will come back again for that event, and I'll make sure to plunk myself down at your table once more!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.