Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hot banana buttered rum

Pages: 1 2 replies

The recipe was in the Los Angeles Times.
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-0413-destination-cocktail-20130413,0,3039975.story

Hot banana buttered rum

15 minutes, plus chilling time. Serves 1

BANANA BUTTER

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/3 ripe banana, well-mashed
1/4 cup (2 ounces) brown sugar
Scant ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Small pinch grated nutmeg
Small pinch ground cloves
Very small pinch grated star anise
1/4 Fuji apple, finely grated

In the bowl of a food processor or mixer, combine the butter, banana, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, star anise and apple, blending until smooth. Place the mixture in plastic wrap and roll into a log. Refrigerate until firm. The log makes enough for more than one cocktail, and it will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to 1 week.

HOT BANANA BUTTERED RUM

Prepared banana butter log

2 ounces dark rum, preferably Diplomático
Star anise, for garnish

Cut a half-inch piece of the butter log and place into a coffee mug. Add the rum and fill the remainder of the mug with boiling water. Garnish with star anise.

NOTE: Adapted from a recipe from mixologist Andrew Parish at Le Ka. Parish recommends using the steamer attachment on an espresso maker to froth the drink before serving: "For me, presentation is everything, and this method definitely makes a difference."

When I read that Andrew Parish from Le Ka was quoted as saying, "For me, presentation is everything..." for a moment it made me wonder what he thought about other things like flavors, quality ingredients, etc. Of course he could have been misquoted. It made me grin when I read it. :)

On 2013-04-15 18:33, AceExplorer wrote:
When I read that Andrew Parish from Le Ka was quoted as saying, "For me, presentation is everything..." for a moment it made me wonder what he thought about other things like flavors, quality ingredients, etc. Of course he could have been misquoted. It made me grin when I read it. :)

It's another way of saying "you eat with your eyes first", but I know what you mean. :)

Pages: 1 2 replies