Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

May I make a suggestion?

Pages: 1 18 replies

TikiCentral is arguably the best resource on the web for all things tiki. But the information on any topic is spread across usually hundreds of posts over many years. For a new person to tiki (which you should all be encouraging), this makes getting started a bit difficult. I'd love to see some sticky posts with information on:

• Necessities to stock your bar (at three price points)
  • A brief history of tiki culture
  • A continuously updated post with the top ten tiki destinations or something similar (they come and go so often!)

This would help the new users a LOT. Myself included, and I've been a member here for a couple of years! The info on stocking your bar is a big one, as there's an overwhelming amount of information here and so much of it is outdated. Imagine the sadness a new tiki drink enthusiast faces when he buys Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix based on the posts here, only to read in another post that they'd since changed the recipe and it was now a faded memory of its heyday and was possibly the worst way to be introduced to a Mai Tai. IT HAPPENED TO ME. The tragedy could have been avoided!

HT

Hahaha. Lesson 1, never buy pre-mixed products!
I've asked for sticky posts in the past, to no avail. There's a moderator or two around here, perhaps suggest contacting them directly. Personally, I wouldn't mind writing some long, authoritative how-to's/informational posts combed from the many posts here. The introductions post under general tiki, for example, is one that needs to be a sticky, as most new member miss it.

I keep thinking some kind of wikipedia-style guide would be awesome. Separate articles for locations, people, drinks, etc. would go a long way towards keeping people from asking the same questions over and over.

I suggested this very same idea a few years back........I was laughed at.

Well, maybe if Exeter made the suggestion...

H

I'm the Administrator here and I too have asked Hanford for the ability to create sticky posts, more than once. Here's the deal, at this point they just don't exist on this board. The topics that look like sticky posts are actually posts that have had the date spoofed (by Hanford) as a future date so that they stay on top. In addition, those topics have to be locked because any response to it would put in a legitimate date which would soon unseat it from the top. I would LOVE to have sticky posts, unfortunately it would require some possibly extensive coding and time from Hanford which means it probably won't happen anytime soon.

In the meantime be judicious in using the search engine and when you find one of those key threads (if still relevant), maybe give it a bump. Additionally, post the link here (in this very thread) along with the name of the topic. Better yet, post it using proper url hyperlinking BB code so the link ends up looking like this:

I need a list for a fully stocked bar (Tiki and the Usual)
The "Starter" Home Bar and Rum
Bar-warming gifts
outfitting a home bar

If you don't know how to do the url hyperlinking bb code, just hit the edit button to see how the coding looks, or visit the TC Help page here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#bbcode

Maybe if we can come up with enough of these "key" threads I can do something with them in the form of a "directory". Actually a TC Directory Forum is something that is already partially in the works but this one is not dependent on Hanford's time but on my own time.

Mahalo!

-Haka

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2013-04-30 17:48 ]

S

It's called the 'search button'. Up in the top right hand corner.

I understand that there are hundreds of different posts and topics in this forum but it's most likely been covered at some point. I read a post a while ago, i really wish i had bookmarked it, where a particular topic that had a thread that was started several years ago was raised again. That thread re-appeared because someone spent some time looking for it.

The hard part is finding it. Now the members who have been around for a while are more likely to remember certain topics already been talked about so for them finding it will be easier than for new/er members but, they will still have to use the search function and the key there is using the right word.

As an example, if you are searching for anything related to Moai you might not find it under any thread using that word, it could be under Rapa Nui or Easter Island and then you have to open up every link until you find what it is you are looking for. I think a lot of people can't be bothered doing that and then just start a new thread, making things even harder to find.

Another issue is spelling. Again, if you use the search button to find a thread on 'pendants' there is also another thread where they are called 'pendents'. So without looking at all the variations you wont find what you are looking for, but it's most likely here somewhere.

So what Swizzle is really saying is this:
Shut up & just get drunk :lol:

P.S. I now understand why Swizzle is so very serious all the time
his dad is "Yahoo Serious"

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-04-30 19:35 ]

On 2013-04-30 11:03, Hale Tiki wrote:

I thought "Exeter" would be taken more seriously.......

HT

On 2013-04-30 19:28, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2013-04-30 11:03, Hale Tiki wrote:

I thought "Exeter" would be taken more seriously.......

Exactly. Perhaps if Exeter commands it...

S
Swanky posted on Wed, May 1, 2013 1:14 PM

If anyone took the time, they could perhaps do that. I have a blog and I occasionally post there so that it exists as a document to be found when hunting. No reason another rperson could not do th esame, or even add things to Wikipedia itself.

I have long thought every known location should be here so that anyone with info stumbling around can find it and share there.

On 2013-05-01 13:14, Swanky wrote:
If anyone took the time, they could perhaps do that. I have a blog and I occasionally post there so that it exists as a document to be found when hunting. No reason another rperson could not do th esame, or even add things to Wikipedia itself.

I have long thought every known location should be here so that anyone with info stumbling around can find it and share there.

Swanky, ether your really drunk or just not so hot in the grammar department :lol:
which is a good reason to defer this to someone else.
Can I have whatever your drinking?

I'm just saying.......

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 1, 2013 6:00 PM

On 2013-05-01 17:28, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Swanky, ether your really drunk or just not so hot in the grammar department :lol:
which is a good reason to defer this to someone else.
Can I have whatever your drinking?

:)

• Now that would have been a good time for a double post :) :)

Grog is right, that is why I am not the one for the job either!

Grog you did not correct my use of the word ether (either)
Your slacking buddy.....Nice use of "Exeter" though. :lol:

My suggestions usually draw a laugh-fest too. But everyone was so adamant about the Home Bar forum that it did become reality and is a great success (despite old posts with broken links)...I still go there first when I hit the board.

I like having a section referring new folks to very helpful posts on the board, and you could even reiterate the search option as the first option for looking up information. What if someone maintained a set of links that were categorized into items already suggested "how to stock a bar" etc. Could something like that be located in the "About" section.

Thanks for the laughs, nothing here to see, this is not the post you are looking for, move on!!!

H

On 2013-05-01 21:36, VampiressRN wrote:
... What if someone maintained a set of links that were categorized into items already suggested "how to stock a bar" etc. ...

That is exactly what I meant when I earlier said a TC Directory is in the works. A list of key topics which can be a great "go to" resource.

BTW TikiTacky just created one which is perfect for just such a directory:
The essentials for stocking a tiki bar

Can we have it in a Hologram display?

HT

snicker

your ether.

Pages: 1 18 replies