Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cherry Juice

Pages: 1 17 replies

A

In order to make one cocktail that called for cherry juice, I bought a large bottle of cherry juice (couldn't find any small ones). I'd like to use it up on different drinks, but it doesn't appear to be a very common ingredient in tiki cocktails. Grogalizer doesn't even list it. Anyone know of cocktail recipes that call for it?

I have made attempts to make decent drinks out of cherry juice, but I have never had any luck. I think the key is very small amounts :)

Tiki Ti has a classic drink - Laka Nuki - that tastes to me exactly like cherries. I do not know how they did it, but I could not replicate it.

Good luck and let us know if you find any recipes!

edit - I have tried Cherry Brandy too, but still have not been able to make anything tasty with it...

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2013-05-13 13:19 ]

Tastes like cough syrup. Bad juju.

The "Jungle Jetsetter cocktail" has cherry juice but try "Monin Cherry syrup" instead of the juice
in a mixed cocktail for a pleasant cherry flavor.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-13 17:00 ]

That could be where I went wrong. I will look for this instead and try again. Thanks ATP.

When I'm am not destroying peoples hopes & dreams
I do help them with the Cocktails.....

A

Well, I have recipes for Jungle Madness and Jungle Bird cocktails, but not Jungle Jetsetter. I suppose it's a recipe you only get if you buy Tikiyaki merch.

Jungle Jetsetter

1 1/2 oz Fresh Lime juice
3/4 oz Maraschino cherry juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz orgeat
2 oz coconut rum - Malibu works best, but Cruzan is ok too

Shake with ice- I use 1/2 oz of Monin Cherry syrup instead of the Maraschino cherry juice
and an additional 1 oz of white rum (El Dorado or Cruzan) make it to your taste.

Please buy those Tikiyaki Orchestra CDs and support the Tiki music scene.....

Shark's Tooth calls for a teaspoon. Personally I often add a bit of cherry juice to drinks, esp when I brandy my own cherries

S

I am working on drinks using Tart Cherry juice, as I now drink it daily for my arthritis pain. But that is way different.

On 2013-05-14 09:01, Swanky wrote:
I am working on drinks using Tart Cherry juice, as I now drink it daily for my arthritis pain. But that is way different.

THIS. is dedication.

Try subbing it for grenadine and see what happens.

I've made cherry syrup before. I use it in a bastardized version of a Clover Club (gin, lemon, cherry syrup subbed for grenadine, egg white). Little goes a long way. I suggest reducing the juice and adding sugar if needed.

This conversation reminds me of the "Chocolate Covered Cherry" shot. There's no cherry in it, just two drops of grenadine. It sure comes out tasting like a choc covered cherry! This is a good one for guests who don't know about tiki drinks and who want to be "surprised" by something you pull from behind your bar.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Shot
1/2 oz Kahlua or similar coffee liqueur
1/2 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz white Creme de Cacao
1 or 2 drops grenadine

• makes one shot
  • some variations double the amounts above and shake with ice. Yield then is two large or three "standard" shots, or one cocktail in a martini glass

On 2013-05-14 11:31, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

ive done this many times when out of grenadine, have even used tad maraschino syrup. dont notice ton of difference. i think many commercial grenadines these days, and certainly many affordable pomegraniye bottled juices, have some cherry in it

Tart Cherry juice is good for the gout as well, I've heard

A

Thanks ATP for the recipe

D

On 2013-05-14 11:31, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

I've made cherry syrup before. I use it in a bastardized version of a Clover Club (gin, lemon, cherry syrup subbed for grenadine, egg white). Little goes a long way. I suggest reducing the juice and adding sugar if needed.

Pretty sure a Clover Club uses Raspberry Gum Syrup not grenadine or cherry juice

A

BTW - I did find another old tiki cocktail recipe that calls for cherry juice: the Tonga Tabu that used to be served at the Tonga Room in San Francisco.

Tonga Tabu
1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
½ oz Fresh Lime Juice
½ oz Cherry Juice
½ oz Papaya Syrup
½ oz Orange Curaçao
3 oz Cola
3 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum

Fill fish bowl glass with shaved ice, and decorate with cherries, sliced orange, and a gardenia blossom. Serves four people.

Pages: 1 17 replies