Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Bar Opening Soon In Ventura

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

Stopped by Ventiki, after the Ventura County Fair. The fair parking lot was already full when we arrived, so we were directed on to Sanjon, and parked right across from a Joe's Crab Shack. Walked over to the fair (a decent walk), did the fair, then took another decent walk over to Ventiki. Enjoyed a Mai Tai and Dr. Funk, with Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken with secret Tiki sauce, and Beef Estrobo (a savory beef-stew type dish with carrots) served over sticky rice. Afterwards, did another decent walk back to the car, but stopped in at Joe's Crab Shack and scored some of their special glass Tiki mugs for $2.50 A FAB day! The drinks and food were good. Inside the bar was full, and since it was a nice day, we sat outside. They had just opened, so the patio was empty when we arrived, but was pretty full by the time we left.
The staff were very friendly and helpful!

I snapped this one, as we walked towards Ventiki.

Wall mural on the patio.

This becomes a fire pit, that they light when it gets cold.

Dr. Funk (Inspired from Trader Vic's, Oakland, CA circa 1946), served in the Foo Man Choo mug.

Mai Tai (Inspired from Trader Vic's, Oakland, CA circa 1944).

Waterfall on the patio (under the stairs).

Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken with Secret Tiki Dipping Sauce.

Beef Estofado (Savory Beef Stew dish with Carrots), served over Sticky Rice.

Ho-Tep-Nefti
Tiki Goddess Extraordinaire

[ Edited by: Ho-Tep-Nefti 2013-08-01 09:41 ]

[ Edited by: Ho-Tep-Nefti 2013-08-01 09:49 ]

O

Von Tiki and I checked out Tsunami Hour earlier this week. Mai Tai and classic Tiki drinks, all pupus, 50% off 4pm to 6pm, Monday through Thursday.

Well now that they have been open for a bit, do we want to think about a Ventura County Meet up after the fair of course?

T

Mint in a mai tai? Didn't dig it

The coconut shrimp skewers are good, and the decor is completely awesome

K

On 2013-08-23 19:16, Tele295 wrote:
Mint in a mai tai? Didn't dig it

The coconut shrimp skewers are good, and the decor is completely awesome

Mint muddled, or just part of the garnish?

T

I thought it was just garnish, so even after I removed it, it had an overpowering minty taste

H

We had a wonderful afternoon at Ventiki. The drinks were perfect and the prices were inviting. I recommend this great new addition to the Tiki community to everyone near and far. The cuisine, the decor and the clientele were delightful.
Special tip of the hat to Scott, a great host and perfect mixologist!

Mint is not only the correct garnish in the classic Mai Tai, it gets slapped before it is put on top of the drink so that flavor is part of the taste experience.

I always put fresh mint in the Mai Tais that I make. I think a Mai Tai with mint is the perfect combination. I haven't tried a Mai Tai here yet, but generally even if you use a full mint plant as a garnish, it doesn't overpower the taste of the drink.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2013-09-05 23:31 ]

The Ventura County Star has a nice article on Ventiki (Life,section D, Sept. 1) titled "spirit of Tiki",written by Lisa Mckinnon. Sven,BongoFury, and other students of our beloved polypop culture may find it a bit lightweight-others might find it interesting.
I cannot provide a link as I am not a subscriber to the VCS. I'm hopeful that one of our Ventura Ohana can lend a hand.
Mahalo

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-05 23:24 ]

They released the new menu a few days ago...I'll have to see how it is.

T

They had Ventiki Whip (Dole Whip/rum float) over the weekend, but that is not a regular menu item at this time.

Pages: 1 2 59 replies