Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Taking kids to Trader Vic's Emeryville

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

We're going to be in the Bay Area later this summer and I'm hoping to go to Trader Vic's. (I've never been before.)

Does anyone have opinions on taking kids to the restaurant/bar? Obviously I'd prefer not to, but that may not be possible. They're 4 and 7 and we keep them in line. :)

Thoughts?

That is very thoughtful of you to ask, I am sure opinions will vary. Trader Vics is a wonderful place to share the Tiki/Polynesian Food experience with your children. After all, lot's of us were introduced to places like this in our youth and that is why we have an appreciation for them. It is good to hear that you have well behaved children as in the restaurant setting some unruly kids can be a turn off to diners (I am forever griping about that). I think they will have a wonderful time and there is so much to see in the restaurant, plus it is right on the bay and they will also get exposure to different types of foods.

Most Tiki events in general are child friendly. Some late night antics can be a little too much, but the daytime events usually include child oriented activities.

Have fun on your visit...take pictures and post. :tiki:

What Vamp said! although I prefer to leave them home with
a good old set of "Lawn Darts" let natural selection do it's thing......

take them for lunch or a late sunday brunch when it won't be as crowded and maybe one of the managers will even show them around if they aren't busy. i would avoid happy hour or weekend nights.

D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, all. I'm hoping we can get someone to watch them so my wife and I can go solo. But if not, I think maybe we'll try it.

I figure it's important to instill a love for Tiki in the next generation! :)

Please don't take this the wrong way as I've raised children to adulthood and have had to deal with all the challenges that entails. I agree that lunch is the time to bring children. The food is less expensive and it is less of a couples crowd. Be aware that regardless of when you go you may have to avert their eyes from the giant "naked" Marquesian Tikis with their humongous genitalia hanging out, the red tiki "mooning" the restaurant patrons and the Leetag black velvet paintings of naked wahinies.

I frequently go to Trader Vic's Emeryville (around once a week, every now and then twice a week), sometimes for dinner in the restaurant with my wife and sometimes for drinks and food in the lounge. The atmosphere in the restaurant in the evening is very romantic for couples and thankfully children are rarely there in the evening. This isn't an Applebees or Elephant Bar Restaurant after all! You get to enjoy the sunset and the nuances of the lighting outdoors on the bay and marina as the evening progresses and the moody atmosphere of the restaurant décor at night. The atmosphere (and my mini vacation and escape from reality) is spoiled if children are whiney or running loose in the restaurant, or if the parents are constantly admonishing them to behave.

Be aware that TV Emeryville is not open on Monday and that lunch is served 11:30 - 2:30 only Tuesday through Friday. On those days you can drop in anytime after they open at 11:30 until closing for drinks and I believe a limited lounge menu may be available between 2:30 and when the restaurant opens at 5:00 PM. They do not serve lunch on the weekend. Here is an example lunch menu: http://www.tradervicsemeryville.com/lunch/ .

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-06-28 21:09 ]

D

Good thoughts. Thanks for the input!

I'm sure you've seen the TV Emeryville thread in Locating Tiki but may not have seen recent updates which give an idea of what to look for: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5198&forum=2&start=0 . I think it will be easier to wander around the entire facility after lunch in the afternoon as the other dining areas will not be in use. It's great that you will be visiting as I think it is a wonderful place (as you can tell by my patronage!), the corporate HQ and still family owned, exuding nearly 80 years of exotic drink and dining legacy. For instance, the pot belly stove between the two Chinese Ovens is the original Hinky Dinks stove that Trader Vic moved from his flat above his parent's little Mom and Pop corner grocery store at 6500 San Pablo. "The Office" is the most interesting room. Be sure to check out the memorabilia on its walls. Of course all this will will make a deeper impression if done after imbibing a Tiki Puka Puka and a Queens Park Swizzle (off menu drink) or 1944 Mai Tai! Your wife will likely volunteer to be the designated driver!

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-06-29 08:28 ]

D

On 2013-06-29 08:20, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
Your wife will likely volunteer to be the designated driver!

You don't know my wife! :)

Pages: 1 8 replies