Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Popoki Lounge

Pages: 1 35 replies

M

After a few years of having an outdoor, 2 season tiki patio on the roof of our old (small) sunroom, TikiKitty and I have decided that the cold, Ohio winters are no fun! We have been very busy building an addition to our house for the past few months to hold our own full blown tiki bar. The Popoki Lounge. (Hawaiian for cat...you'll see why) This has been about a year or more in the planning. As anyone from the northeast can tell you, there ain't much tiki to be had around these parts and the cold, snowy winters make outdoor spaces not very practical!!! We've decided to bring it inside. We hired a contractor to do the shell of the addition, electrical and underground ductwork. Then, we took over for the "Tiki-fying" of the place. It's about 20'x14". It's still a work in progress, but what tiki bar is ever completely done? I'll start with some early construction pics.

The old sunroom with former rooftop tiki patio right before demo

While waiting for construction, we had the Saddest Tiki Party Ever.... (I think it was about 45 degrees that night)

Foundation wall for new addition. Mugs need a home!

Who knew a tiki bar comes in such a small bundle?!?!?

Wall framing done...cats approve, I think.

Drywall up, doors and windows too

Here's where I'll cut it and start a new post with the interior decorations.

Mahalo everyone!

[ Edited by: Masher88 2013-07-07 13:07 ]

[ Edited by: Masher88 2013-07-07 13:08 ]

[ Edited by: Masher88 2013-07-07 13:09 ]

M

So, after the original shell construction phase (which only took about 5-6 weeks thanks to our awesome builder)...onto the Polynesian Bar Phase.

Painted all the walls brown. Reed and matting tend to show through if stark white is behind it.

Started putting up lauhala matting. It's a pain to work with. It came in rolls that wanted to roll back up like when bugs bunny tries to unroll blueprints! I used contact cement and staples.

Reed fencing for the bottom. Staples through the wiring holds it on the wall pretty well.

Finished "accent" tapa wall with burnt 1/2 round bamboo installed. You can also see the routed and stained baseboardtrim I did all around the room

Bar framing..I had no idea what to do!! It's a full wet bar with a small sink near the wall return...which I haven't ran water lines to yet.

1/2" Plywood for the front and 3/4" for the top. Now, It looks like a bar!

Framing the thatched roof overhang above the bar. Very tricky.

So, that about does it for the construction phase. I have tons more pics of construction, but that isn't why we are all here! :wink: I'll start a new post with the Tiki-fied room!

M

Here's where years of accumulating stuff gets a home. I don't have many night time mood lighting shots...they look terrible on my phone camera. I'll have to wait til someone with a "real" camera comes for a drink!! Besides, we are still working out the lighting.

Waterfall and puffer fish lamp

behind the bar

another behind the bar shot

Don't forget to tip your bartender!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 7, 2013 2:34 PM

Wow, that looks great. Congratulations on the new tiki bar.

M

On 2013-07-07 14:34, GROG wrote:
Wow, that looks great. Congratulations on the new tiki bar.

Thank you! We have yet to officially christen the bar with a party. Too much work makes Masher a dull tiki....

Looking great, Masher!

An indoor space is a great idea in Ohio! It would be a great idea here in NJ but we make due with our outdoor bar & hut.

Awesome job! That is going to be a great space.

That looks great. I have that same leopard print throughout my house...love it. You did a great job with the walls and ceiling.

M

Mahalo all! I'm writing this while sipping a cocktail at our bar. I'm having trouble with lighting the mugs on the shelving behind the bar. I'm not sure what to go with. Those tiny LED strip lights are like $70! The frugal part of me screams "hell no!" with that price. Any suggestions or bite the bullet and get the strip lights

EJ

On 2013-07-07 18:11, Masher88 wrote:
Mahalo all! I'm writing this while sipping a cocktail at our bar. I'm having trouble with lighting the mugs on the shelving behind the bar. I'm not sure what to go with. Those tiny LED strip lights are like $70! The frugal part of me screams "hell no!" with that price. Any suggestions or bite the bullet and get the strip lights

Check Ikea. These might work?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192073/

K

LOL! Those pre-construction party shots are hilarious!!

Great job on the room, no more long faces I trust?

Fantastic job !!

Good work all round. Glad the cats approve. Does the bar have a name - I know your post indicates that but were you going to have that displayed (unless I missed it)?

[ Edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-07-07 19:29 ]

Killer job M88!
Cheers, David, La Mirada,Ca

On 2013-07-07 19:27, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Good work all round. Glad the cats approve. Does the bar have a name - I know your post indicates that but were you going to have that displayed (unless I missed it)?

[ Edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-07-07 19:29 ]

Hi! This is Tiki-Kitty (Mrs Masher). The bar is named The Popoki Lounge. We do have a sign for it (will post a picture soon). We are trying to figure out a good way to light is without making it look like an 'Eat At Joe's' kinda thing. We will probably go with a well hidden spot light.
Mahalo!

Aloha! This is Tiki-Kitty (aka Mrs Masher). Here is a shot of the bar (with well deserved cocktail). I am the one responsible to decorating that area (I am a bartender in the outside world, too). I still have a LOT of work to do behind the bar and look forward to sharing those pictures with all of you!
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki-kitty 2013-07-08 06:52 ]

P
porco posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2013 8:58 AM

On 2013-07-07 18:11, Masher88 wrote:

i saw in another thread where someone used christmas lights to light up a mug collection...can't seem to find it now, but it looked great. i have a pretty good stash of clear, c9 strings if you're interested (and i'm in cleveland as well).
your room looks fantastic, great work and use of materials!

[ Edited by: porco 2013-07-08 09:00 ]

H

I like the way the spotted cat wall works behind the bar- NICE !!!

I use these on my mug shelves and they work pretty well, plus they don't need an electrical outlet and are pretty affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Lights-Operated-Silver-Wire/dp/B004DZI1J0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1373324024&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+operated+led+light

Great build out BTW. Really nice space.

M

Thanks for all the lighting ideas. I'll have to try out the X-mas lights. I'm pretty sure we have some in the attic or something!

On 2013-07-08 15:56, SoCal Savage wrote:
I use these on my mug shelves and they work pretty well, plus they don't need an electrical outlet and are pretty affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Lights-Operated-Silver-Wire/dp/B004DZI1J0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1373324024&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+operated+led+light

These look like a great option! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

On 2013-07-11 06:26, Tiki-kitty wrote:

On 2013-07-08 15:56, SoCal Savage wrote:

These look like a great option! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

My pleasure. I'll have to get pics of my bar/lounge up here one of these days.

Nice work! We found the LED strip lighting on Amazon for only $40. It's not very long, but it changes colors and has a remote control!

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2013-07-11 20:02 ]

M

I finally figured out the lights. I used a 2x4 and a 1x4 and made a sort of valence. Then took scraps of bamboo slats and stapled them to the front of it. Then I bought under cabinet puck lights and used DJ light gels to change the bright white colors.
Sorry for the cell phone pic, it's all I can do now.

It looks great, you did a good job with the lighting. I love the bamboo grid on your ceiling, I want that for mine eventually...it looks great!!!

On 2013-07-14 16:54, VampiressRN wrote:
It looks great, you did a good job with the lighting. I love the bamboo grid on your ceiling, I want that for mine eventually...it looks great!!!

Thanks! Lashing all the bamboo crossings with jute is taking forever! I do about 3 or so a day. Almost done, but I ran out of rope. I screwed the 1" poles to the ceiling making sure to hit studs going perpendicular to the way the studs run.. I used a nut that I painted black between the ceiling and the bamboo as a spacer (screw running through it) so the bamboo wouldn't be flat against the ceiling. Always predrill bamboo!! This way I can tie rope around it. Then I tied crossing 2" and 1" bamboo perpendicular to the first bamboo using tie wire for strength. Then I went back and did the lashing. This way, I can hang stuff off the bamboo without worrying that the rope won't hold and I won't have to try to use drywall anchors everywhere I want to put a light or whatever

More pictures of the Popoki Lounge. I managed to get some Hello Kitty in there! Masher is thrilled :wink:

I love the 3rd photo down on pg 2. I'm into natural colors and that tiki in the corner photo has a great brown/tan palette. Color lights are for night or a windowless lounge which you also incorporated nicely. Of course I dig the Debra Paget in a sarong framed colored still. From Fox's 1951 BIRD OF PARADISE. We are all waiting for an official DVD or Blu-ray release. Great movie. Great room Masher & Tiki kitty.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-26 14:49 ]

M

Thanks CreativeNative! Yeah, we have large un-windowed wall that we light up with different colors to show off masks and other things. Here's a pic of the coloring on the "big guy" tiki. The grain of the wood is unique. I should polish him up to make it stand out better.

This is Stringbean- one of our Popoki who doesn't mind wearing a lei!

P

Nice work. Lots of good planning and a lot of hard work and I know you enjoy it. I get up to Cleveland on occasion as it's my home town. Generally in the late fall. Should I visit this year, I'd love to swing by and play you a few tunes on the uke and basically destroy your liquor collection. (not really - I always leave more than I take.)

Either way - much aloha and enjoy that space where once was held the Saddest Tiki Party In History.

M

Thanks, Pablus! We see you play every year at Ohana. You are such a great Uke player and singer! We enjoy watching you every time. Abso-freaking-lutely come over and have a few cocktails at the Lounge if you are up this way. Drop us a PM when you are in town! Also, be on the look out for a new tiki bar opening in town called Porco on W. 25th street when you come up. Aloha and Mahalo!

M

H

there you go this is better

PP

wow, a true Cinderella story!!! from Tiki Rags to rich's !!!!! love it guys!!!!

M

Thanks, Hiltiki! I wasn't sure how it ended up sideways! Too many Mai Tais?

Pages: 1 35 replies