Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?

Pages: 1 35 replies

I have a tradition called Tiki Friday. After a hard week's work I light my two tiki torches in the backyard and listen to music while I drink my favorite beverage: Wild Turkey Bourbon. Is anyone else here a bourbon fan? I like a lot of different kinds of booze like Myers's rum, Plymouth gin, most tequillas, and lots of different beers...even dry red wines but I'm not a huge fan of fancy mixed drinks; especially if they are overly sweet. I used to make Manhattans but I eventually realized I like straight bourbon (with two ice cubes) just as much. Can tiki coexist with bourbon and beer? Those are my go to Tiki Friday drinks. Is anyone else here a bourbon and beer guy like me?

Crappy Kool-Aid and booze drinks that most people think of when you say 'Tiki Drink' are really nothing like a properly made classic Donn Beach and TRader Vic cocktails. Most of them have depth and balance and not just sickly sweetness.

But I like my whisky/whiskey as well, and of course I won't pass up a good beer. I usually prefer rye to bourbon (certainly in a Manhattan), but I quite like sipping a nice bourbon as well.

If you want to try a good (and strong) tiki drink that uses bourbon, try a Tropical Itch. Most recipes include dark Jamaican and overproof rums, bourbon, passionfruit juice, orange Curacao and bitters. Had Ohana's version pf this last week at Disney's Polynesian Hotel last week (they call it the Backscratcher) and it was pretty good.

Interesting. I'll have to try that. I was visiting the Polynesian two weeks ago...I wish I knew about that drink then.

So what exactly is Tiki about your Fridays? The torches?

'Fancy' and 'overly sweet' are two of the most common fallacies about true tiki cocktails. Do yourself a favor and actually mix one up (using better rums than Myers). I bet you'll be leaving that bottle of wild turkey on the bottom shelf next Friday...

I doubt it but I'll try some suggestions.

Trader Sam's serves a rather potent Shipwreck on the Rocks which is bourbon based. When you order it the lights dim, thunder, rain and lightening effects go off and a large ship in a bottle sinks. It's quite impressive.

On 2013-07-28 13:18, tikilongbeach wrote:
Trader Sam's serves a rather potent Shipwreck on the Rocks which is bourbon based. When you order it the lights dim, thunder, rain and lightening effects go off and a large ship in a bottle sinks. It's quite impressive.

Too bad they don't have a Trader Sam's in WDW. I live in Florida.

Here's a youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJGZZdaUkEs

I like a nice "Old Fashioned" as much as a good Mai Tai
but it is all about the quality booze.

On 2013-07-28 13:28, tikilongbeach wrote:
Here's a youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJGZZdaUkEs

That was really cool! Thanks for sharing it.

On 2013-07-28 13:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I like a nice "Old Fashioned" as much as a good Mai Tai
but it is all about the quality booze.

I'm 45 so I've been drinking for a while. I've tried all kinds of booze and I agree with you about quality to a point. I've tried some premium bourbons and I was disappointed; I didn't like them any better the WT101 and they were about twice as expensive. For me there is a ratio of price to enjoyment and Wild Turkey perfectly fits that formula. I don't really want to like a super premium liquor because I can't afford it anyway. Happy Buddah also mentioned I'd need a better rum than Myers...I'm not interested in buying above price point.

[ Edited by: Freaky Torch 2013-07-28 13:41 ]

[ Edited by: Freaky Torch 2013-07-28 13:42 ]

You have not had a good "Tiki" drink like a good Mai Tai
until you have had it with real good rum

it is the difference of a McDonald's Hamburger to an aged Steak
one might argue it's all beef? but that person probably has no taste.

I myself think the quality & taste of the new whiskey's to be very good.

where are you located in FLA, Freaky Torch?

I like steak a lot but I've never had an aged steak. Yet I also like a McDonald's hamburger from time to time. I don't believe you have to spend top dollar to enjoy a drink. If that is required then it's not for me anyway. Bringing it back to bourbon, I've had cheap ones like Old Crow or Ten High and I don't enjoy them as much as I do Wild Turkey. Yet I've spent more than WT money on so called "good" bourbon and enjoyed them less than the WT. My point is, I know what I like. I also know what I'm willing to spend. Fruit juice in my drinks is not really what I like, no matter how good the liquor is. Simply put, I like to taste the booze in my booze.

On 2013-07-28 14:08, thePorpoise wrote:
where are you located in FLA, Freaky Torch?

Fort Liquordale~

D

This is a puzzler...

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself in to liking Tiki drinks. Why? I have plenty of friends who'd rather drink bourbon or Scotch or a Martini than any Tiki drink. Drinking something you don't like is a sign of pretension or incipient mental illness. You said you already know what you like -- so drink that. I don't know why anyone would want to do otherwise.

But I think you wandered into the wrong forum, since this one is for discussing Tiki drinks.

On 2013-07-28 14:46, djmont wrote:
This is a puzzler...

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself in to liking Tiki drinks. Why? I have plenty of friends who'd rather drink bourbon or Scotch or a Martini than any Tiki drink. Drinking something you don't like is a sign of pretension or incipient mental illness. You said you already know what you like -- so drink that. I don't know why anyone would want to do otherwise.

But I think you wandered into the wrong forum, since this one is for discussing Tiki drinks.

I'm not trying to talk myself into anything.
I started this thread with the question "Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?"
and "Can tiki coexist with bourbon and beer? " I guess I got my answer.

On 2013-07-28 14:16, Freaky Torch wrote:
I like steak a lot but I've never had an aged steak. Yet I also like a McDonald's hamburger from time to time. I don't believe you have to spend top dollar to enjoy a drink. If that is required then it's not for me anyway. Bringing it back to bourbon, I've had cheap ones like Old Crow or Ten High and I don't enjoy them as much as I do Wild Turkey. Yet I've spent more than WT money on so called "good" bourbon and enjoyed them less than the WT. My point is, I know what I like. I also know what I'm willing to spend. Fruit juice in my drinks is not really what I like, no matter how good the liquor is. Simply put, I like to taste the booze in my booze.

I am guessing you have not had real (as in classic) Tiki drinks, they are more liquor centric
and less juice flavored then you think.

And like I said earlier, I like a good "Old Fashioned" as much as a good Mai Tai
and both require a decent quality whiskey or rum, both were served in the classic Tiki bars
of years past.

You have not had a great steak until you have had one of aged beef, expensive...yes
but anything of quality is.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-28 15:10 ]

You have not had a great steak until you have had one of aged beef, expensive...yes
but anything of quality is.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-28 15:10 ]

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

there's a "what brands of beer are tiki" thread here somewhere.

here are three tiki drinks calling for bourbon; if you like a whiskey sour then you'll enjoy these (you can google the recipes or search them here at TC):

--the Eastern Sour (a Trader Vic's creation);

--the Western Sour (from Crane's Kon-Tiki);

--the Port Light (another Trader Vic's drink).

On 2013-07-28 15:28, thePorpoise wrote:
there's a "what brands of beer are tiki" thread here somewhere.

here are three tiki drinks calling for bourbon; if you like a whiskey sour then you'll enjoy these (you can google the recipes or search them here at TC):

--the Eastern Sour (a Trader Vic's creation);

--the Western Sour (from Crane's Kon-Tiki);

--the Port Light (another Trader Vic's drink).

Thank you!

Here's a relevant article I just found on the subject:
http://www.letstiki.com/home/2011/4/13/the-sour-challenge-eastern-sour-vs-western-sour.html

[ Edited by: Freaky Torch 2013-07-28 15:37 ]

D

With most consumer goods, there's a demonstrable relationship between price and quality. But it's not an absolute ratio. There are certainly bargains to be had with almost anything. That being said, it is generally the case that the best of anything is among the more expensive examples of it. It's an inevitable consequence of a market-based system. Of course, everyone's taste is different. There are surely some people who truly do prefer McDonald's to Peter Luger's. And more power to them! I imagine it's a blissful way to live.

Well said! I can definitely agree with that.

That's the spirit! Glad you're willing to try some recipes out. You can't go wrong w/ the classicics; I know you'll find something you love.

As far as cost & rum are concerned, better does not always mean more expensive. Coruba is better than Myers', and it's cheaper. Cruzan is far superior to Bacardi, and it's cheaper. Appleton v/x is probably my all-around favorite rum, and it's $16 a bottle...

By the way, I'm not against bourbon or beer. Especially beer. Beer=good.

On 2013-07-28 16:27, happy buddha wrote:
That's the spirit! Glad you're willing to try some recipes out. You can't go wrong w/ the classicics; I know you'll find something you love.

As far as cost & rum are concerned, better does not always mean more expensive. Coruba is better than Myers', and it's cheaper. Cruzan is far superior to Bacardi, and it's cheaper. Appleton v/x is probably my all-around favorite rum, and it's $16 a bottle...

By the way, I'm not against bourbon or beer. Especially beer. Beer=good.

Coruba is better than Myers', and it's cheaper.

Now you're talkin' my language. Coruba will be the next rum I buy.

Wow, that was a warm welcome for a not unreasonable question, and all without any of the various smartypants responders mentioning the Honi Honi, which as far I know can be found on every Trader Vic's menu. Oh, well.

Good for you, Freaky Torch, for hanging in there. It may well be a waste of time, though. The straightbourbon fourms seem a bit nicer and there are rum drinkers there, too. This forum is a great source of info although sometimes the condescension toward newcomers gets a bit thick. Lurking may be a better solution. That way you get the info without the attitude.

On 2013-07-28 17:07, Cargo Cult wrote:
Wow, that was a warm welcome for a not unreasonable question, and all without any of the various smartypants responders mentioning the Honi Honi, which as far I know can be found on every Trader Vic's menu. Oh, well.

Good for you, Freaky Torch, for hanging in there. It may well be a waste of time, though. The straightbourbon fourms seem a bit nicer and there are rum drinkers there, too. This forum is a great source of info although sometimes the condescension toward newcomers gets a bit thick. Lurking may be a better solution. That way you get the info without the attitude.

Thanks for the kudos but no one was rude and I enjoy the back-and-forth. I was just genuinely wondering if anyone was a bourbon fan like I am.

Who gave him attitude? I thought it was a pretty interesting discussion.

Let us know how you like the Coruba, freaky torch

I will! :drink: :tiki:

On 2013-07-28 15:52, djmont wrote:
With most consumer goods, there's a demonstrable relationship between price and quality. But it's not an absolute ratio. There are certainly bargains to be had with almost anything. That being said, it is generally the case that the best of anything is among the more expensive examples of it. It's an inevitable consequence of a market-based system. Of course, everyone's taste is different. There are surely some people who truly do prefer McDonald's to Peter Luger's. And more power to them! I imagine it's a blissful way to live.

:lol: :lol: :lol: and a :drink:

The Mai Tai has been one of my favorite drinks for decades. I also like bourbon, but I don't really care for the Honi Honi (same recipe as M.T., except sub bourbon for rum). A couple years ago I experimented, paring back the ingredients, and settled on a simpler drink with bourbon that I like a lot. I called it a "Beau Tai" - pretty much a variation of a whiskey sour:

Beau Tai
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice (1 medium lime)
1/2 ounce simple syrup (to taste; I use less)
2 ounces bourbon
Dash of Fee Brothers Old fashioned Aromatic Bitters

Dash bitters into empty old fashioned glass. Shake other ingredients with ice, pour into glass.

In a pinch, sub Angostura bitters, I suppose. But the Fee Bros. has a more prominent cinnamon taste that really enhances the appeal for me. When I describe and offer this drink to my bourbon-drinking friends, they've always seemed apprehensive. And then they ask for another, and the recipe. They say they never would have thought lime and cinnamon could do anything but hurt good bourbon.

On 2013-07-28 17:59, Limbo Lizard wrote:
The Mai Tai has been one of my favorite drinks for decades. I also like bourbon, but I don't really care for the Honi Honi (same recipe as M.T., except sub bourbon for rum). A couple years ago I experimented, paring back the ingredients, and settled on a simpler drink with bourbon that I like a lot. I called it a "Beau Tai" - pretty much a variation of a whiskey sour:

Beau Tai
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice (1 medium lime)
1/2 ounce simple syrup (to taste; I use less)
2 ounces bourbon
Dash of Fee Brothers Old fashioned Aromatic Bitters

Dash bitters into empty old fashioned glass. Shake other ingredients with ice, pour into glass.

In a pinch, sub Angostura bitters, I suppose. But the Fee Bros. has a more prominent cinnamon taste that really enhances the appeal for me. When I describe and offer this drink to my bourbon-drinking friends, they've always seemed apprehensive. And then they ask for another, and the recipe. They say they never would have thought lime and cinnamon could do anything but hurt good bourbon.

That sounds like another recipe I'm going to have to try. Thanks for your input.

Another burbon and rye Mai Tai riff along the lines of the Honi Honi is Smuggler Cove's Bluegrass Mai Tai. Excellent drink.

1 oz Bourbon (Wild Turkey 81)
1 oz Bonded Rye (Rittenhouse 100)
1/2 oz Grand Marnier
1/2 oz Orgeat
1 oz Lemon Juice

You could probably flip the standard proof bourbon for your WT 101 and go with a standard proof rye instead and still make a great drink.

I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion that Coruba is orders of magnitude better than Meyers. I consider Coruba to be one of the absolutely essential mixing rums, but I could happily live the rest of my life without ever tasting Meyers again.

I believe Hawaiian master bartender Harry Yee's "Tropical Itch" had bourbon, along with dark Jamaican and 151 Demerara.

By the way, I think we need MORE posting on this list, and we should encourage discussion, even if it occasionally involves wildly off-topic insanity like beer or bourbon.

The second post in this thread mentioned the Tropical Itch.

*On 2013-07-28 12:16, Freaky Torch wrote:
*Can tiki coexist with bourbon and beer?

On 2013-07-28 12:16, Freaky Torch wrote:
I have a tradition called Tiki Friday. After a hard week's work After a hard week's work I light my two tiki torches in the backyard and listen to music while I drink...

It sounds like it does :) Have whatever you fancy!

I have a buddy who loves whiskey - Ive been making him different drinks & I think he has enjoyed:

Cocktail night one = Manhattan, Horses Neck, Rum Boston Sour & Rum Old Fashioned.
Cocktail night two = Hemmingway Diaquiri, Dark & Stormy, Falernum Swizzle, Mai Tai, Sazerac, Ron Zacapa 23
Cocktail night three = Beer, my Rum Punch, Cuba Libre, Navy Grog, Three Dots, Rye Old Fashioned, Appleton 12

He also tried a load more, most went down well :) that sort of progression might suit you?

I love Old Fashioned & Sazeracs :) but Im not a fan of tiki whiskey drinks.

Pages: 1 35 replies