Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Unmade tiki mugs

Pages: 1 9 replies

I'm sure most of us here have sketched out a tiki mug design at some point (in varying states of inebriation), but were probably reluctant to post them publicly because we thought that one day a major mug manufacturer is going to recognize our talent and put it into production.

But if you look around at what actually gets made, it becomes apparent that it has little to do with originality or talent, and everything to do with name recognition. No matter how extraneous the concept is to Tiki, or how ridiculous the design is, there'll be somebody out there saying how great it is. After all, the "smart car" actually sells, doesn't it?

I've been sketching out ideas since becoming fascinated with this lifestyle thing, some sober and others satirical, while some are a mixture of both. I'll leave it for you to sort them out for yourself.

Please feel free to post your own (unmade) designs here: after all, it's probably not going to get made if it's languishing in a desk drawer, right?

The Father Inebrias decanter...

The Eden Ahbez tribute mug...

The Korla Pandit tribute...

Bryce, with the Teeth...

The Savage Skeptic mug. I actually used this design in my bookshop's bookmark design.

The Savage Stoic...

The Savage Cynic...

Tiki Totems series...

"Algy"...

The Slither Pitcher...

The Gumbi-Zombi, dammit...

Mimi the Cigar Wahini (cigar holder)...

At one point, a certain major manufacturer was considering a tribute decanter to a certain famous mermaid. Design alterations were implemented, but for some reason the project collapsed.

Major Mandrill...

The Preshuss Tiki Hedhunter...

Eb & Flo, the Outriggers...

Spitbite III...

The Humboldt Squid mug...

Mitchell the Alien Skull...

Elizabeth...

The Tiki Toes decanter...

The ChastiTiki condom & breath mint tray...

Cuellar...

The Shrunken Head of the Colonel mug...

[ Edited by: White Devil 2013-08-01 16:37 ]

Lots of great creativity there! I would think the difficulty with most of them would be loss of detail and other production difficulties (I can only imagine trying to create casts for some of those!). Maybe some actual mug makers would care to chime in?

I've never gotten around to doing a sketch (and it's not my original concept), but I've also wondered why no one's done a Skulls of Touganda series, from "The Phantom" movie.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 1, 2013 1:03 PM

You should make the very top part the lid. That's what GROG did in this joke mug design poking fun at Dave (Squid) Cohen.

I know you probably never saw that, but artsists come up with the same ideas. GROG has had some same mug design as a number of artists on here including MP, Squid, Tobunga,Wendy, etc. It's just a matter of who gets their's produced first. Besides, what's wrong with having several designs of the same mug idea. Mow many Moai mugs have been made and are yet to be made?

Grog, yours isn't as penis-y as mine. I was trying to get a penis mug made without the maker knowing that it was actually a penis mug.

D
DHTiki posted on Fri, Aug 2, 2013 8:33 AM

Really creative. I like them. I'd buy a Dozac! And a Humboldt devilfish, if it didn't look quite so penis-y...

white devil i am new to TC and would like to post some of my work in tiki gallery but can't figure out how to start a post can you help me thanks

Tikimanocean, do you see that li'l button down yonder what reads "new topic"? Hit that button and see what happens.

The Yankee Sipper & The Lincoln Memorial Cuspidor

Legend has it that a Union Navy ship was swept into unfamiliar waters after fleeing a skirmish with a Confederate vessel, straight into the path of a hurricane. Only when the crew stepped ashore did it become apparent just how far South they had drifted. After enduring a gesticular lecture on the moral perils of paganism and human indenture, the dark-skinned provincials reciprocated with an object lesson on the pragmatic perils of presumption and colonial high-handedness. An ironic, macabre study in blue and gray, The Yankee Sipper graces your beverage hold as a memorial to the corporeal consequences of immoderate aggression, obnoxious self-righteousness, and enslavement to a puritanical idealism.

The Lincoln Memorial Cuspidor may also be employed as a chamber-pot in instances of national emergency.

[ Edited by: White Devil 2013-08-02 10:21 ]

ok thank you !

Pages: 1 9 replies