Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Favorite Pool Drink

Pages: 1 21 replies

So, I plan to lay by my pool and do nothing this weekend but relax and have a few drinks. What's your go to tiki drink for lounging by the pool? Refreshing and easy to make.

What is your definition of easy? And what level of quality ingredients must be on hand - basic? Advanced? Blended ok? Shaken? Or only poured, strained and stirred? More info on the target audience would also help.

I've had success with Derby Daiquiries in foam cups poolside. Went over well with non-tiki guests. Must use full-flavored orange juice.

Any level of ingredients is ok. Prefer higher end ingredients to lower end. Prefer shaken rather than blended, but I have a vitamix so blended is ok as well. I'm not preparing drinks for a crowd, just me and another.

Derby Daquiri sounds pretty delicious and refreshing.

Vitamix? Cosmonauts!!!

Painkillers are nice in a batch. Planters Punch (4:3:2:1) with soda water for the weak (no shakin') is my go to for lowering blood pressure and getting sunburned. Use Smith and Cross for some oomph.

For minimal mixing effort lounging in a pool, I typically do Rum and Coconut Water, J Wray and Ting, or La Palomas. So, Caribbean and/or Mexican as opposed to authentic Tiki because they are easy and very refreshing on hot summer days.

You really need us to help you decide these things? :)
I'm just saying......what do "you" like?

Most of the summer I've been rotating these 4:
12/12 Mai Tais
Suffering Bastards
Hurricane Heyward's special planters punch
Navy Grogs w/ the Vic's concentrate

I highly recommend any of those for poolside consumption. :)

Q

Nothing is simpler, or more refreshing, to me than an original daquiri. Plus it's easy to play around with if you want to use different rums or a different sweetner. All you need is rum, limes and fine sugar or simple syrup.

Having said that, the Derby Daiquiri is mighty tasty as well.

Cheers and aloha!

So far you have three votes for the Derby Daiquiri plus a number of other excellent suggestions. Planter's Punch is good too, and this thread gave me several new ideas to try.

Cheers to you, sir! You may also consider using extra-extra-extra dark rum as sunscreen. It may not work, but what the hell! :)

I definitely have Beachbum Berry Remixed.

Also, I love Paloma's by the pool. My favorite spirit is bourbon or gin. But I really want to experiment more with good rum.
It's the one spirit I feel I have neglected. Hence my purchase of the Bums book and me signing up here. :)

So I think the derby daiquiri is what's on deck. Favorite rum to go in it? I'm not afraid of higher end stuff.

K
kkocka posted on Thu, Aug 8, 2013 5:57 PM

If we're talkin poolside, I'm usually go just for a rum and coke. I try to think of hotel pools and usually they can barely handle that right. Maybe a mai tai depending on the hotel and hotel bar, unless maybe you consider The Disneyland Hotel, in which case you have the entire Trader Sam's menu to select from.

Had to do a Derby Daiquiri test run. Not bad!

I thought this was going to be about billiards.

however, the best poolside tiki drink aint a rum drink. it's the Kama'aina.

I used Bacardi light. I think I need a rum that is a teeny bit more complex.

H

On 2013-08-08 18:19, blueeyedtiki wrote:

The next step up would be Cruzan Aged Light Rum. As far as light rums go, much better than Bacardi and less expensive to boot!

Most people on TC have learned to avoid Bacardi. Bacardi is mostly just marketing hype. Bacardi 8 and Bacardi Solera are okay but it's best to avoid the rest of their line.

I put Cruzan in the "sucks" category now, with Bacardi, since Jim Beam took over.

not sure how much nuance one will discern anyhow though from a lime-orange juice (and possibly simple syrup) compound.

On 2013-08-08 20:25, Hakalugi wrote:

The next step up would be Cruzan Aged Light Rum. As far as light rums go, much better than Bacardi and less expensive to boot!

Most people on TC have learned to avoid Bacardi. Bacardi is mostly just marketing hype. Bacardi 8 and Bacardi Solera are okay but it's best to avoid the rest of their line.

Amen, Brother! I mean I concur.....

Don Q Silver is also good. Haven't had any problem with Cruzan, but it sounds like I need to do some taste testing.

I agree with Hakalugi and I have also parted company with most Bacardi products even though I live 20 minutes away from the bottling plant and have met a handful of very nice people who work there. It's one of our local products here in Jacksonville, Florida. For what it's worth, please know that they are a very good corporate citizen and very family-oriented. Also, 98% of the US Bacardi products are bottled here. Also, the Bacardi plant is located less than one mile from the InBev/Anheuser-Busch brewery where the majority of production (95% or more) is for the Florida market.

I suspect that the production of beer and the bottling of rum would make us one of the bigger booze-producing cities in the nation. Just a guess... So there's a research project for you if you're so inclined. I'm not gonna research that, instead I'll have a cocktail.

Getting back to poolside I like to make up a pitcher full of Bajan rum punch. Easy-peasey! Just be careful if you decide to use the diving board!
Cheers

Hi..

My favorite pool recipe is Swimming Pool. Here is the recipe for it.

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz White Rum
3/4 oz Vodka
1/4 oz Blue CuraƧao
2 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Coconut Cream
1/4 oz Heavy Milk Cream

Method: Prepare in shaker
Glass: Tulip
Recipe:

Shake all ingresdients (except the Curacao) with ice.
Pour into a tulip glass or a goblet.
Carefully float the Curacao on top.
Serve with a straw.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - spam link removed :roll: - 2014-02-03 13:13 ]

I'm not sure if a drink with two (!) types of cream is really the best to serve around a swimming pool. I know here in Florida, it would be problematic.

And who makes this rum named "vodka"?

Pages: 1 21 replies