Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

August is National Rum Month

Pages: 1 19 replies

http://societeperrier.com/articles/7-boutique-global-rums-for-national-rum-month/

August is National Rum Month. It’s time to celebrate for 30 glorious days by enjoying classic rum cocktails like the Mojito, Piña Colada, Hurricane and Singapore Sling. In honor of the holiday, we’ve scoured the world for some of the best boutique rums to celebrate with.

1. CRUSOE Rum, California
    As the only distiller in Los Angeles since prohibition, Greenbar distillery in L.A.’s downtown art district is momentous. Makers of many organic spirits, including gin and vodka, the spirit to try this month is the Crusoe white and Crusoe spiced rum. Inspired by the legendary Robinson Crusoe, Greenbar makes their rum from molasses and sugar cane via micro oxygenation; a technique borrowed from neighboring California winemakers. For the spiced Crusoe Rum, spices like allspice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and vanilla are hand crushed and added to the blend as well as California orange zest equating to big flavor.

2. Banks "7 Golden Age" Rum, West Indies
    Named after noted explorer and botanist Sir Joseph Banks, Banks "7 Golden Age" Rum is a unique blend of 23 rums from distilleries located on the islands of Barbados, Guatemala, Guyana, Jamaica, Java, Panama and Trinidad. Each rum has been aged between one and seven years in used bourbon barrels.

3. Plantation 3 Stars, France
    The rum comes from the three "stars" of Caribbean rum: Barbados, Trinidad and Jamaica, but it's actually aged and bottle in France. It redefines white rum with its smooth quality and that's suitable for drinking it neat.

4. St. George California Agricole Rum, California
    St. George Spirits, in Northern California, is a raucously fun distillery to visit, not to mention makers of wonderful new rum to imbibe. St. George California Agricole Rum is just one of the dozens of spirits the distillery makes, but it’s special nevertheless. It’s made from fresh sugarcane grown in Southern California — not molasses — in the style of a rhum agricole or cachaça. They extract the fresh cane juice by running the stalks by hand through a sugarcane mill. The freshly pressed, uncooked cane juice is then fermented and distilled in small batches in a 500-liter copper pot still. The result is rum not for the faint of heart, but divine, nevertheless.

5. House Spirits Rum, Oregon
    You’re probably familiar with their Aviation Gin but how about their House Spirits rum? It’s hard to come by as it was a limited-edition release last year, but worth tracking it down. It’s double-pot-distilled and aged in Pinot Noir-barrels. If you like whiskey, you’re gonna love this rum.

6. Roggen's Rum, New York
    You seen those beautifully designed compact bottles of Hudson Whiskey grace the shelves of most high-end bars, but you probably wouldn't recognize their rum. Producing a limited run of Roggen's rum, Tuthilltown distillery celebrates the history of the Hudson River commerce and the early pioneers of the Hudson Valley. The aged rum, aptly named after the Roggen mercantile brothers of the area that migrated from Switzerland, is made from Louisiana blackstrap molasses and aged in a combination of new and former American oak whiskey casks.

7. Caliche Rum, Puerto Rico
    Yes, Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and the majority of the world’s rum is produced there. The Serralles distillery produces DonQ, Palo Viejo and Caliche. And since it’s been family owned and operated for 148 years, let’s just say they know a bit about making quality rum. White rums are usually not aged yet what sets Caliche apart is its blend of four different aged rums. Made from Caribbean molasses with hints of vanilla, oak and caramel make a great spirit to sip neat or mix in festive rum cocktail.

the base spirit in a Singapore Sling is gin, not rum.

Guatemala, Guyana, and Panama are not islands.

There is no cheese in Chinese food... :)

The Swahili language has no irregular verbs.

I have had NONE of the seven rums listed in that article and it makes me very sad. We get Banks 5 Island here and along with Oronoco it is probably the best white rum I have ever tasted, and I am eager to sample the 7 Golden Age. As far as I know no e of those other rums have made it to FL either.

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-08-09 04:58 ]

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-08-09 04:59 ]

i've seen the Caliche, been meaning to give it a try.

On 2013-08-08 20:43, thePorpoise wrote:
the base spirit in a Singapore Sling is gin, not rum.

I would have chosen different cocktails, but I didn't write the article. I should have left that off of the article I copy and pasted.

sorry, I wasnt teasing you, i looked at the original article per your link, only meant to poke fun at the author as her bio sounds pretentious.

good info re Caliche, i've seen it before and wondered about the interesting bottle, sounds like its worth a try.

Lol, I didn't take it badly.
The Greenbar Distillery (Crusoe) in LA makes other spirits and about every 6 weeks they have a tasting tour that you can pay to go on. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds interesting.

I may be a rebel. . . Rum Month for me is January through December yearly! I like the freedom of 12 full months of various rums! If I', not politically correct . . . TOUGH!

On 2013-08-09 09:32, tikilongbeach wrote:
Lol, I didn't take it badly.
The Greenbar Distillery (Crusoe) in LA makes other spirits and about every 6 weeks they have a tasting tour that you can pay to go on. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds interesting.

thanks to your linked article, i pulled the trigger on trying Caliche rum-- very smooth spanish style clear rum. worked very well in a Papa Doble, a Cuba Libre, and a Bajan Punch. the marketing materials overstate things a bit-- no, it wasnt like a dark rum in flavor, no it wasnt great to sip neat (altho better than cruzan or bacardi). but, it did make very smooth mixer in the cocktails i like for spanish style rum. price here pre-tax was $22.

and National Rum Day is Tomorrow!

A

On 2013-08-15 15:18, thePorpoise wrote:
and National Rum Day is Tomorrow!

I celebrated National Rum Day Eve far too much....

Interesting that the article now has replaced "Singapore Sling" with "Daiquiri".

On 2013-08-18 02:04, The Gnomon wrote:
Interesting that the article now has replaced "Singapore Sling" with "Daiquiri".

Some people learn from their mistakes and are able to take correction.

Storm

Caliche Rum had their ads is all over my facebook feed for about 3 days before I liked the page to stop them coming up. Now I get all their posts and pictures on my feed. Derh me. But the sad thing is, they must be doing something right. Because now all I want to do is try some of their glorious looking rum.

I'll admit I love a good rum, but man I crave this stuff. Is it any good?
Also is there a good cocktail to try it in? I mean obviously the classics, but is there one people use to really get the most out of it?
I love a good dark n stormy with Kraken, or Ron Barcelo Anejo in a Cuba Libre. Something about their flavours work well for me in those drinks. (they are better in the above drinks than the other way around - for me anyway).

:)

FS, see my post above re Caliche. I like it.

I’ve never cared for white/silver rum. I saw a bottle of Caliche at my local super tonight which intrigued me. The glass looked “hammered”, the label was attractive and the neck was wrapped with jute or sisal twine. After reading several reviews I’m gonna go back an grab a bottle. An aged white rum? Gotta try it! Check out their website-some interesting drink recipes on there.
Cheers

August is National Rum Day?

Remind me in July.

Thank you.

On 2013-12-15 09:19, GentleHangman wrote:
August is National Rum Day?

Remind me in July.

Thank you.

Hey GH,
I didn’t wanna start a nudder thread.
Anyway, it’s neva to early to start celebrating!
Cheers

Pages: 1 19 replies