Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Concentrate

Pages: 1 40 replies

Vic's has it for sale at the moment. Anybody ever try it? If it's half as good as the Navy Grog concentrate, I'm already sold..

D

I believe it takes the place of the orgeat, rock candy syrup and orange curacao. So I guess it might be an okay shortcut... But doing it from scratch isn't much harder.

S

I was going to order some today, but what's the deal with the $25 shipping charge??

D

You just use rum and the concentrate, which is how they make it in the restaurant if you don't order it "Old Way"

I am not 100% sure if you add lime to it or not when doing it with the mix

D

If it does include the "lime" than I bet it's kinda nasty. And chemically.

They emphasize (on Facebook) that it's made with cane sugar - a move back in the right direction!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-22 10:09 ]

It's god awful.

On 2013-08-21 19:51, skeeter wrote:
I was going to order some today, but what's the deal with the $25 shipping charge??

Their shipping has been very expensive and inefficient, for years. A story, to illustrate:
I used to order Orgeat (during a time when all brands had disappeared from all local stores) and Javanese Dressing. I tried to order several things, to average the shipping cost-per-item down, but it still about doubled the price. You used to have to call to order (Gail Barber - funny I remember her name), and they'd call back with a quote, after they figured out the shipping. Once, I was told my order of 4 Orgeat, 6 Javanese and a tub of HBR Batter would require 3 boxes, at quite a huge cost. I asked if they couldn't do it for less, so she talked to shipping again, and they thought they could get it down to 2 boxes. I reluctantly agreed and took the hit.
So, when the 2 boxes arrived, one was a box with dividers to fit 12 750 ml bottles, and my 10 bottles were in it, with plenty of room to spare - especially since the 6 dressing bottles were so short. Then, alone in the second box was the little plastic tub of batter! And they started out thinking they'd need THREE boxes?!

Just ordered some. You can easily make a great Mai Tai without it using curacao, rock candy syrup, etc. But the first true Mai Tai I ever had was at the now-defunct Trader Vic's Dallas, and since I didn't know to order it "the old way," what I got was rum and concentrate. As a result, I'm a bit nostalgic for that taste, though a hand-crafted Mai Tai is tastier and more authentic.

Also, unless they've changed the formula (which would defeat my whole reason for buying some, so I hope they haven't), the lime is not included in the concentrate.

D

I was tempted to get some, just to experiment with. But it's a little pricey if it turns out I don't like it.

D

What the hell, I ordered some. :)

I wanted some other things, and the concentrate didn't bump up the shipping.

As unimpressed as I was with the "Grog" concentrate . . . I think I'll pass. A regular Mai Tai from scratch isn't at all difficult.

D

On 2013-08-22 17:23, GentleHangman wrote:
As unimpressed as I was with the "Grog" concentrate . . . I think I'll pass. A regular Mai Tai from scratch isn't at all difficult.

Unless I can get fresh Marsh Grapefruit (super rare in AZ) I cannot get a homemade Navy Grog to really sing like the concentrate they use at TV - bottled ocean spray just misses something

Wish it was the grog on sale not the mai tai - but I agree the mai tai is easy enough to make and better tasting by putting the components together

Regarding white grapefruit: I have the same problem here; I can only get it in large containers (Ocean Spray, etc.) and it goes off before I can use it up. Amazon to the rescue! I order 48 5.5oz cans of Ocean Spray 100% white grapefruit juice for about $34. with free shipping. That's about 71 cents a can. I've been doing it this way for a couple of years now and it works well for me.

I had the same problem with the large bottles of Ocean Spray white grapefruit that I could never use up before it went bad. I finally got smart this summer and froze half of a new bottle to keep it fresh and that did the trick.

I have never seen little cans of Ocean Spray. We only get a crappy brand called Blue Bird (I think) that usually pours brown and oxidized and is pretty horrible.

There is maybe one month in the late fall where I can find fresh local white grapefruit. I pretty much live for that time.

D

How are the little cans of Ocean Spray? Are you satisfied with the taste?

Because that sounds like a great option.

Dapuma1, it sounds like GentleHangMan has a few bottles of Grog Concentrate that he could sell to you!

T

I got a bottle of the Mai Tai concentrate at CostPlus. It was kinda chemically - nowhere near as good as the from-scratch Mai Tais I had in Kauai

D

hmm, I like the idea of the little cans, because after a few days the small amount of bottled tartness goes away and it is even less appealing

Do you think the AZ heat will damage the juice (i.e. should I wait until it drops below 100)

Yes if you are willing to sell a few bottles of the Grog Concentrate I would love to take them off your hands :)

D

The stuff they sell at CostPlus is a different animal. It's the regular retail version of the Mai Tai mix and it's putrid. The store under discussion is the Mai Tai concentrate, which is used by the TV restaurants and only occasionally offered to the public.

Just received delivery on the concentrate.
Didn't come with a recipe!?!
Anyone know how to use this stuff?

An oz each lime, concentrate, lite & dk rum? Just a guess

The 5.5oz cans of Ocean Spray 100% white grapefruit juice are excellent! It's the exact same juice they have in their larger bottles but in an easier to use size. I get them from Amazon for around $34 for 48 cans. Shipping is free.
I keep them in my pantry room setting one or two cans in the fridge which I replace as they are used.
I hope this helps.

D

I ordered some of the grapefruit juice in the little cans from Amazon. Thanks for the tip!

Anything bought in a retail store (other than Trader Vic's) has been the dreaded "mix." The concentrate is basically a replacement for orgeat and orange curacao with some cane sugar. The explanation given to me by the long serving head bartender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's, Joel, is that while it does simplify making the drink, the main reason the concentrate was developed was to ensure the needed ingredients are available to TVs around the world. It gives them a higher degree of consistency. Their goal is to ensure that a Trader Vic's Mai Tai is the same no matter which Trader Vic's you go to around the world. Joel also added that he will make your Mai Tais from scratch all night long if you ask. It is no bother to him to add the extra two pours to make you a Mai Tai the old way.

Rixzantis, unless they've changed the label, the recommended recipe should be right there on the bottle. I'm uploading a photo of my bottle, in case they have.

I like to make my own "Mai Tai Mix". I mix up a 12 oz, batch of orange curacao, orgeat and turbanado sugar syrup following the original proportions, and keep it in the fridge.
To make a Mai Tai I use 1 oz. of fresh lime, 1 oz of my "Mix", and two ounces of what ever rum combination I'm in the mood for. My favorite rums to use are: Appleton 12 year old and El DCorado 12 year old; Eldorado dark and Zaya; and Kohala Bay and El Dorado 12 year old. I enjoy making the original recipes for the Jet Pilot, 1934 Zombie, the Hukilau etc. but when I'm tired or lazy or tired and lazy. . . I just reach for my Mai Tai Mix and all is well with the world!

D

It's a good idea. Laziness often overtakes me as well. :)

Thanks Doctor Coruba!
The new bottles do not have the recipe on them.
Just doesn't seem like much liquid with that recipe.
I tried one last night:
1 oz. Lime
1/2 oz. concentrate
1-1/2 oz. Myers
1 oz. Smith & Cross
Lots of crushed ice.
Tasted good!

Maybe need to do some more experimentation.....
With most of the Beachbum's recipes, I cut back on the lime.
With this combo it was not too citrus-y

D

For the record, the ingredients as listed are:

Cane sugar, Water, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate

It's that damn Potassium Sorbate . . . gets me every time!

Wow, I just noticed something awesome. The Mai Tai bar mix has switched from HFCS to Cane Sugar! And yes, I am talking about the Mai Tai Concentrate not the Mai Tai Mix found at BevMo.

I got this bottle from the Emeryville location within the last year:

That's a major upgrade in my mind! Interesting that the Grog Mix I got recently from tradervics.com was still HFCS.

-Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2013-08-30 18:23 ]

My bad, looks like Limbo Lizard already alluded to the above.

On 2013-08-22 10:05, Limbo Lizard wrote:
They emphasize (on Facebook) that it's made with cane sugar - a move back in the right direction!

D

On 2013-08-26 10:12, GentleHangman wrote:
I like to make my own "Mai Tai Mix". I mix up a 12 oz, batch of orange curacao, orgeat and turbanado sugar syrup following the original proportions, and keep it in the fridge.
To make a Mai Tai I use 1 oz. of fresh lime, 1 oz of my "Mix", and two ounces of what ever rum combination I'm in the mood for. My favorite rums to use are: Appleton 12 year old and El DCorado 12 year old; Eldorado dark and Zaya; and Kohala Bay and El Dorado 12 year old. I enjoy making the original recipes for the Jet Pilot, 1934 Zombie, the Hukilau etc. but when I'm tired or lazy or tired and lazy. . . I just reach for my Mai Tai Mix and all is well with the world!

not the V/X and the VSOP as the Bum recommends?

D

Appleton 12 and El Dorado 12 is one of my favorite combinations as well. Appleton 12 and Clement VSOP -- the often recommended combination -- is also excellent. Sometimes I'll go with the Barbacourt 8 Year and a Jamaican.

Also make sure you try it with Clement Creole Shrub instead of the Orange Curacao. It's a nice variation that I make occasionally. (Not my idea, by the way. I think it's a pretty common substitution.)

For Curacao, I'll use Senior, Pierre Ferrand, Marie Brizard, Grand Marnier -- whatever's handy. Grand Marnier is a little sweeter, though, so if I use it, I cut out the simple syrup. I've found they all work very nicely.

D

On 2013-08-31 04:30, djmont wrote:
Appleton 12 and El Dorado 12 is one of my favorite combinations as well. Appleton 12 and Clement VSOP -- the often recommended combination -- is also excellent. Sometimes I'll go with the Barbacourt 8 Year and a Jamaican.

Also make sure you try it with Clement Creole Shrub instead of the Orange Curacao. It's a nice variation that I make occasionally. (Not my idea, by the way. I think it's a pretty common substitution.)

For Curacao, I'll use Senior, Pierre Ferrand, Marie Brizard, Grand Marnier -- whatever's handy. Grand Marnier is a little sweeter, though, so if I use it, I cut out the simple syrup. I've found they all work very nicely.

I have not tried it with the Appleton 12 and the VSOP, however I do have the 12 so I will give that a shot, I have subbed out the V/X for Smith and Cross and that was pretty tasty - I always use Senior Curacao of Curacao and the VSOP

ED12 is one of my fav's as I use it in my Navy Grog's - will give it a shot with the 12 for a Mai Tai sometime, normally I cut the lime down to half ounce, skip the simple and up the Orgeat (Small Hands) to half an ounce

D
djmont posted on Sun, Sep 1, 2013 2:11 PM

I made drinks with the concentrate tonight. You know what? They're pretty good!

I tasted the concentrate on its own. It tastes like what you'd think: sweet syrup, with orgeat and orange notes.

As shortcuts go, this is a pretty good one.

Actually . . . my up-scale rum blend using my home-made Mai Tai Mix is Appleton 12 with St. James Hors D' Age! But, as St James is becoming scarcer and scarcer I've had to make adjustments. . . I even like it with Appleton 21 year old all by itself! But . . . perhaps, that's just me! I just don't feel the need to purchase a "Mix" or "Concentrate" when I can make the drink as it was originally intended without the need of a degree in mixology (thanks to the Bum), . . in the case of the Mai Tai, how difficult is it really?
It's only five ingredients: Lime juice, Orange Curacao, Orgeat, simple syrup and your rum blend of choice. Sure, in a restaurant setting they might be pressed for time if such is the case, the use of a mix or concentrate may be a time saver. I don't seem to have that problem when I'm behind the bar at my house - even when I'm serving guests - I've trained them to be patient . . . if they want the "Real thing", they'll wait and watch as I make it . . . if they're in a hurry . . . they can drink elsewhere.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GENT

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2013-09-01 15:39 ]

D
djmont posted on Sun, Sep 1, 2013 3:43 PM

You're right -- there is no need for it. And I always have the ingredients on hand to make it from scratch.

But I like trying new things. I think the concentrate will prove especially useful for Mai Tai #3 of the night. :)

Be sure to shake the bottle of Mai Tai concentrate well before using. The ingredients will settle if left standing too long and it won't taste right.

Got mine late last week and have been making mai tais with it over the long weekend. I agree that it's in no way essential, but it's a pretty good shortcut, in my opinion. Much better than any other mai tai mix out there (unless you make your own).

I tried TV's Grog concentrate . . . I'll admit . . . it was passable (Had to double the amount of the concentrate fpor it to work properly); just OK. I have Hurricane Hayward's recipe for the Navy Grog, and the Yeoman's Grog . . . the latter being my preference. Hands down Hayward's recreations beat the TV concentrate hands down! I still have 1 1/2 bottles of the TV concentrate left, and I'll use them up when I'm in one of my 'lazy' moods.

Pages: 1 40 replies