Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Almond liqueur in a Mai Tai?

Pages: 1 3 replies

Has anyone tried using almond liqueur in a Mai Tai? My local liquor store is out of orgeat but they had this, so I'd like to give it a try.

Using Amaretto in a faux Mai Tai is a standard old school bartender trick and I have been served such incarnations on several occassions and some have actually been drinkable. The walk up bar outside of the old Adventurer's Club at WDW Pleasure Island did a Mai Tai with Amaretto that tickled some of the same taste buds as an orgeat Mai Tai, though their interpretation was a Hawaiian style with pineapple juice and maybe orange juice as well. It may be nostalgia more than anything but I miss that drink.

I've had a few fruit juice mai tais with almond liqueur in (call it 'Hawaiian' style) & they were mostly good fun.

I use amaretto in fogg cutters in place of sherry (after comparison & not being bothered). In a T.Vic mai tai it's your call, give it a go :)

Sub away!

D

I would say: if you can't get orgeat, a good Amaretto (I like Luxardo and DiSaronno) is better than nothing. But orgeat isn't that hard to make, if you can't find any.

Pages: 1 3 replies