Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

tiki central mug exchange

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies

Don't know if this was discussed, but anyone thought about a tiki central mug exchange? The purpose would basically be to allow folks from other parts of the country or globe, access to tiki mugs that they might not be able to get otherwise. For example, three dots and a dash has their first new mug release party next week and the mug will only be available at the bar. Some folks on the west coast would like to get one and there are folks here in the midwest and east coast that would like to get a mug from a place out west that they might not be able to get to anytime soon. It's basically a way for tikiphiles to access mugs in exchange for sending the person who gets them a mug one that they would want. It's not a trade situation. People would be expected to pay for the mug and shipping cost as some mugs vary in price and shipping varies depending on location. Many times there have been mug release parties for new bars out west and though there's no way to jump on a plane and head out there at a moments notice (did that all the time in the 90's, those days are over), I would still have liked to score a mug. So if this hasn't been discussed before, maybe we can use this thread for folks to list what mugs they would like (i.e. three dots and a dash mug) and maybe someone that lives in that area and goes to the event can hook them up and vice versa. I realize some places have limits on the amount of mugs you can buy at one time, but some don't. - and it doesn't have to be limited to mugs, could be anyb promo items like shirts, necklaces, eta. The point being, access to cool stuff you might not otherwise be able to get until you overpay on ebay for it.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-08-29 05:01 ]

Sounds like a good idea Tipsy. A good way to beef up the collection or bar ware. Sounds fun as well. Unfortunately I'm out of the exchange loop due to the lack of bars here but I think a bunch of folks would enjoy an exchange.

I like it! Next trip to Kowloon, I'll stock up.

i'll try to stock up on three dots and a dash mugs and swag. i'll post here when i have something ready to go.

uncle trav, it's not limited to bars. you might be able to get to a tiki event that i or someone else cannot. i know mugs can be pricey but sometimes not. keep this thread as a place to let others know you might be going to a particular event. maybe someone will call on you to pick something up for them from the event. Also, the exchange doesn't have to be a 2 way street. if you tell me you want a mug or something from somewhere out here, i can try to get it for you. just pay for the mug and shipping. i don't need anything in return. it's just a way to do other members a favor and sometime aquire something for myself that i might not be able to get before it sells out or something.

I like this idea as well. I soooooo want something from Trader Sam's as they didn't release their own mugs until after we were there last year. Not sure what I could provide in our area (Columbus, Ohio), the Grass Skirt has a cool old-fashioned tumbler style glass that is etched with their logo. They keep saying they're going to have a custom mug at some point.

alot of places sell their mugs on their websites, but not all and not every mug or promo item. I try to support the places and artists by buying directly from their site as opposed to ebay, where they can be marked up for profit, which is fine, but if i can get them cheaper too thats always good.

Also, some places have limited runs, colors or quantities. for example, i don't know how many three dots will have or if there are limits as to how many can be purchased at a time...

http://www.tikicentral.com/search.php?term=mug+swap&submit=Search&srch=both&frm=all&usr=&srt=newest
There's been a few, but they've been called swaps. (Not a direct swap, one person back to another, but rather a secret Santa kinda of thing that makes a big chain of mug swapping).
looks like they were started by leleliz, and I've handled the last couple.
I've been meaning to start another, but you know...life gets in the way of so many things.
So, if you're interested in joining up with the rest of us I'll get the ball rolling on a Fall 2013 one :)
Check out the links to see what kind of goodies have changed hands.

Would love to have an open edition cAl Sunken Cove Tiki or that plastic Dole from Disney - I can offer an Atlanta Vic's and a plastic Deadhead .... Beuler ...

HT

Maybe we can set up a thread under the Marketplace. Call it something different, instead of swap, or trade, as that would require you to have locations near you.

Tiki Mug Retrieval Service?

I don't know, but I would LOVE to get my hands on a pair of the three dots mugs.

S

My only problem with this is that people are going to get really sick of me posting here always asking for something. :D

HT

On 2013-09-01 04:08, swizzle wrote:
My only problem with this is that people are going to get really sick of me posting here always asking for something. :D

If there were anything worth getting near me, I would send anything you needed, buddy. And heck, the next time I'm anywhere near a bar with good mugs, I'll let you know ahead of time!

S

Thanks Hale. That sounds good to me and is greatly appreciated.

The only Tiki bar here is the LuWoW. They have their own bucket mug and i think they sell the mugs to its sister bars over on the other side of the country, Hula Bula Bar and Devilles Pad. Kustom Lane gallery also has their own mug, but that's it. Unfortunately that is all that i can offer and just a warning that once boxed a single mug will cost $30AUS to post with the price going up from there according to weight.

HT

Well, there's also some guy that makes an awesome Tiki Bob/Coconut mug. Okay, NOW we've covered all of Australia.

S

On 2013-09-03 06:56, Hale Tiki wrote:
Well, there's also some guy that makes an awesome Tiki Bob/Coconut mug. Okay, NOW we've covered all of Australia.

:D

Great idea! I'm down to participate. As Hale probably remembers, I live in close proximity to Trader Sam's and am happy to pick up mugs there for anyone who wants them. :wink:
What's this about a Tiki Bob/coconut mug? That sounds cool!

LoungeShark, what do you want? As long as you don't need it asap, I'm happy to pick up some mugs and ship to you. Shipping can get a bit pricey if you want all three of the existing mugs, but as long as you don't mind, it's still cheaper than RT airfare!

On 2013-08-30 07:59, LoungeShark wrote:
I like this idea as well. I soooooo want something from Trader Sam's as they didn't release their own mugs until after we were there last year. Not sure what I could provide in our area (Columbus, Ohio), the Grass Skirt has a cool old-fashioned tumbler style glass that is etched with their logo. They keep saying they're going to have a custom mug at some point.

Triple post! I would LOVE to have one of the Three Dots and a Dash mugs if someone is nearby!

HT

On 2013-09-10 22:35, finky099 wrote:
Triple post! I would LOVE to have one of the Three Dots and a Dash mugs if someone is nearby!

I might be able to wrangle that up this month. I'll know on Friday.

F

Thanks, Hale. I appreciate that! Let me know when you need something else from SoCal. I'm goign to be in NYC at the end of next week and then SF two weeks later if there's any requests from Otto's or Smuggler's. According to their website, Otto's may be out of their signature shrunken head mugs, tho.

K

Head's up that they're currently out of their original krakatoa and shrunken zombie head mugs. For the krakatoa they're using their prior Tiki Farm mugs (Ku, Lono, and Tongo.) That leaves the only available mugs as the Uh Oa bowl, and Shipwreck barrel (second edition/green and brown glaze.) I didn't get any word as to when they will be returning, but don't worry they will.

Thanks for the heads up, Keith!

F

I'm going to be at Smuggler's Cove this weekend. Anybody need anything? When I was there in march, they still had some of Crazy Al's anniversary mugs. Don't know if they will still (ironically, they were OUT of their signature "Barrel" mug, which worked out fine b/c we might not have otherwise known they still had the anniversary mugs.)

EJ

I will take an anniversary mug if you can ship. Just let me know. Thanks.

I'll take a crazy al mug if they got one.

F

Jefe & Tipsy, If they have any, will acquire and ship to you gents. Will report back Sunday or Monday.

On 2013-09-11 17:30, finky099 wrote:
According to their website, Otto's may be out of their signature shrunken head mugs, tho.

i was at otto's two days ago and they still have 10 year anv. mugs available as well as a new shipment of otto's mugs with a new green on black glaze. unfortunately the shrunken head mugs are now $30 w/ drink or $25 w/o. i used to stock up on the old ones when they were $15 w/drink. you can always get them from their website while they are in stock.

EJ

On 2013-10-02 12:29, finky099 wrote:
Jefe & Tipsy, If they have any, will acquire and ship to you gents. Will report back Sunday or Monday.

Thanks!! I really appreciate it.

F

Tipsy/Jefe, Got the mugs this weekend. Just sent you guys PMs.

E

I love this idea, but live in a tiki wasteland.
What I can do is post here when I have an upcoming trip that includes a stop at a place with mugs - I'd be happy to pick up mugs for anyone interested.
Cheers!

On 2013-10-08 23:38, ebtiki wrote:
I love this idea, but live in a tiki wasteland.
What I can do is post here when I have an upcoming trip that includes a stop at a place with mugs - I'd be happy to pick up mugs for anyone interested.
Cheers!

thanks ! that is the spirit in which this post was intended. glad to see the positive responses to this.

F

Exchange/swap request: Anyone going to Chicago in the near future? I'm dying to get some of those swizzles from Three Dots & a Dash. Happy to exchange for items from Trader Sam's (or cash!) :)

EDIT: Wish granted- thank you, Tiki Centralites!

[ Edited by: finky099 2013-10-22 00:29 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-10-17 12:57 ]

Would still love to have an open edition cAl Sunken Cove Tiki or that plastic Dole from Disney - right now I can only offer an Atlanta Vic's or a plastic Deadhead if anyone wants...OK, I'll stop now.

Forbidden Island in Alameda, CA released their new menu designed by Doug Horne last month.

You can buy a menu at the bar for $7.00.

If you would like one I could sell you one for $10 which includes first class shipping.

Just PM me and we can exchange info.

Oh and if you live in LA I have no problem selling one to you for $7.00 and just giving to you when I see you.

Let me know!

F

Holler, I might be able to assist. Just sent you a PM.

On 2013-10-24 11:17, Holler Waller wrote:
Would still love to have an open edition cAl Sunken Cove Tiki or that plastic Dole from Disney - right now I can only offer an Atlanta Vic's or a plastic Deadhead if anyone wants...OK, I'll stop now.

F

Sorry for the double post. Internet went kaplooey for a moment.

[ Edited by: finky099 2013-10-25 15:49 ]

Great R-99 ~ thanks for the thoughts

Foundation room = new mugs are in !!!! If anyone is headed that way, i'd like one. I'll do the same
. next time i am headed up that way, i'll let you all know and i'll pick some up. there's a new color every 500 mugs.

F

That's a cool glaze. Reminds me of the one they used on the current version of the trader Sam's Shipwreck barrel. Did TF do this for Foundation, too?

The Foundation mugs are made by Minneapolis artist Carolyn Kopecky at One Hundred 80 Degrees Studio... she did most
of the mugs (and the incredibly awesome bowls) for the Twin Cities' fabulous Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge as well.

You can actually buy the barrels direct from the Foundation by sending them a check; I would check in
with them first via their Facebook page, however, just to make sure they're not totally overrun with orders:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Foundation-Tiki-Bar/321942317456

The Foundation is truly one of the finest modern era mom & pop Tiki bars going anywhere, both in terms
of drink quality and atmosphere-- get there if you can; it's a MUST VISIT if you're in the Chicago/Milwaukee
area!

--Pete

E

I'm also interested in a mug from Foundation, if anyone's headed there - we saw a prototype of the mug in August, but were sworn to secrecy.

And I agree with Pete (Ragbag) - it's a wonderful bar:

(Full disclosure: two of those are water)

e.

a check ?? who takes checks these days ?? they need to get a paypal account.

I'd love a Foundation mug and definitely the Three Dots and a Dash mugs (I Love the sea urchin!)

I'm in SoCal and have Disneyland passes so I could pick up the Dole tumblers or the 50th anniversary Kevin Kidney/Jody Daily mugs from inside the park. Also anything from Trader Sam's or the Bali Hai - we're at one or the other of those places almost every weekend. :)

I think Wang's still has the green Derek Yaniger mug down here in San Diego. At least they did a couple weeks ago. I could pick that up for someone as well.

Just let me know who has orders and I'd be more than happy to oblige.

...or you can just ask yer brother, brother!

We're going to Three Dots this weekend, most likely.

We'll be back at the Foundation in a couple weeks, too.

We gotcha...

-Pete

Hey thanks brother!

We're heading into Trader Sam's after work one day this week. I know you didn't get a chance to hit them when u were out here last - any mug requests I could fill for you there to return the favor?

F

Late notice, yes. But, if anyone in the TC ohana needs anything from Sam's, I'm going tonight. PM me by 6:30 PST and I'll do my best.

Sorry, any cocktails purchased cannot be shipped and will be immediately consumed. :wink:

Ryan

Anybody on the left coast have access to any of these mugs...?

--Tonga Hut Drooling Bastard mug
--Damon's new mug (Monkeys and all)
--Don the Beachcomber barrel
--Don the Beachcomber modern "Long Neck" version mug

...?

We got access to all the Midwest's finest. Plus I have a solid amount of
vintage mugs available for trade.

Holler this-a-way...

--Pete

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies