Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Ginger Liqueur

Pages: 1 16 replies

KD

OK someone gave me a bottle of DeKuyper Ginger Liqueur - any ideas how to use it? Can't recall seeing any recipes that call for this, though Falernum comes to mind as a poss substitute. Thoughts?

Have you tried looking it up in The Grogalizer? (I can't get to it from work, darn internet filters...)

K

Try this, I make it for my wife sometimes (I forgot the name, sorry):
1.5-2 oz vodka (pear flavor)
.5 oz ginger liqueur
.75 oz lime juice
.5 oz agave or simple syrup

Its a little on the sweet side I suppose, but like I said the wife enjoys it.

Here's a thread on another ginger liqueur~ Snap
You can also look up Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur

L

I like the Blooming Flower cocktail which uses ginger simple syrup. I can imagine ginger liqueur working as well...

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/31216855/Blooming-Flower

probably any ginger beer cocktails would work-- DarkNstormy, Suffering Bastard, Moscow Mule, etc...

i've used ginger liqueur before with mango and martinique rum for a pretty nice drink.

A

In my latest batch of falernum I grated the ginger (rather than thinly slicing it as the recipe stated) to make it a bit more fiery, its settled down a bit now but still has a extra ginger kick.

In the past (using a ginger cordial which is like a syrup) I've made:

• The QB Cooler (a tsp)

• Rum Old Fashioned's (in place of the syrup)

• Punch with spiced rum, apple juice & bitters.

• My 'Pirates Diaquiri' - 2 dark rum, 1 ginger, 1 lime
    I used Captain Morgan as a the rum, I think a more flavourful dark rum would be pointless as the the ginger should be fiery enough to make you say 'Arrr' like a pirate :) kind of a non fizzy /daiquiri Dark & Stormy

I quite like using ginger in drinks, its fun to have a little tingle of it in the summer & a proper amount in drinks as the weather starts to get cold.

Id sub ginger syrup or liqueur in place of falernum / pimento / syrup in any drink at least once. It cant hurt & it might give it a good kick! :)

The New Orleans Buck calls for orange juice, rum, soda, and ginger syrup or ginger beer. Bet that'd be good with ginger liqueur.

I use Domain de Canton Ginger Liquor whenever ginger simple syrup is an ingredient. I rarely need ginger simple syrup and Domain de Canton is shelf stable. The extra alcohol isn't usually a problem!

When I get really lazy I substitute Barenjager 1:1 for honey syrup. It makes for a great Donn Beach Navy Grog.

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-09-09 18:03 ]

KD

Thanks for cool ideas!

I'll also sub Canton for ginger syrup if I am too lazy to make the syrup pr my wife has decided I have taken up too much refrigerator space with all my syrups. I wonder if Stone's Ginger Wine would work well there also.

The Barenjager sub for honey is interesting an something I have never tried. I have a nice Apis mead I might have to try in a Navy Grog or Rum Barrel instead of honey mix.

When I do use honey syrup I "make it to order" by putting orange blossum honey 50:50 with water in a shot glass and heat it in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds, so it mixes easily. Using Barenjager is a lot less prep, mess and clean-up and I think it tastes better.

I've never had ginger wine but my guess is that it lacks the heavy syrup base of a liquor.

Where's Kahuna Kevin? He hijacks my thread about a completely different spirit, and then doesn't even show up here to hawk his "Drunkenstein's Bride"! I use Giffard's Ginger Liqueur which probably falls somewhere between Dekuypers and Domain de Canton on the quality spectrum. I'm interested in trying King's Ginger, but it's almost as expensive as the Canton. Here are my feeble attempts at ginger cocktails:

Ginger Grant
1.5 oz vanilla vodka
.5 oz ginger liqueur
2-3 dashes Peychaud's bitters
Stir over ice and strain into small cocktail glass.

Neptune's Trident
2 oz Barbados rum
1/2 oz ginger liqueur
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/4 oz simple syrup
Dash Angostura bitters
Shake with crushed ice and pour unstrained into rocks glass.

[ Edited by: Brandomoai 2013-09-10 20:24 ]

Brando, that Neptune's Trident looks really good. Use the 3 pronged card holder from a bouquet of flowers as a swizzle stick and skewer a fish cut from fruit on it :D

Picked up some Canton Ginger tonight because that's what I found in my area. It has some recipes attached, I'll post them soon.

On 2013-09-11 20:29, MadDogMike wrote:
Brando, that Neptune's Trident looks really good. Use the 3 pronged card holder from a bouquet of flowers as a swizzle stick and skewer a fish cut from fruit on it :D

Picked up some Canton Ginger tonight because that's what I found in my area. It has some recipes attached, I'll post them soon.

I like it! I couldn't find any trident swizzles, so I had to use the trident from my old Aquaman figure...

That looks like a trident to me. Unfortunately I have only seen them in clear so you have to put a garnish on them so no one loses an eye :lol:

Here are the recipes from the Canton Ginger liqueur bottle hanger;

The Bowery
2-1/2 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger liqueur
1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
2 dashes of Bitters
Shake, serve on the rocks
Garnish with lemon twist

Gold Rush
1-1/2 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger liqueur
1 oz Bourbon
1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
Shake, serve in a Martini glass
Garnish with cherry

Ginger Margarita
1 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger liqueur
1 oz Silver Tequila
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
Shake, serve on the rocks
Garnish with a lime wedge

Ginger Julep
2 sprigs of mint
2 oz bourbon
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
place mint in the bottom of a cocktail shaker, fill with crushed ice, and muddle with a wooden spoon for about 10 seconds to bruise mint
add remaining ingredients to the shaker, cover, and shake
strain into a julep glass filled with crushed ice
garnish with lemon wedge or mint

Dark & Stormier
1 oz Dark Aged Rum
Splash of Fresh Lime Juice
Fill a high-ball glass with ice fill 2/3 of the way with ginger beer.
Add the Dark Aged Rum and Lime Juice
Garnish with a lime
Opening Act

2 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger liqueur
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
Shake, serve in a high-ball
Garnish with mint leaves

White Orchid
2 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger liqueur
1 oz Citrus Vodka
1 oz White Cranberry Juice
Shake, serve in a chilled Martini glass

Tuscan Pear
1 part pear vodka
1/2 part Limoncello
1/2 part Domaine de Canton Ginger liqueur
3/4 part blood orange juice (or orange juice)
1/4 part simple syrup
add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously
strain into a rocks glass rimmed with sugar and filled with crushed ice
garnish (optional) with mint leaves or dried pear

Made a "Kon-Tini" last night from Grog Log Remixed with my ginger liqueur. It was a decent, light sweet drink

Pages: 1 16 replies