Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Fall 2013 Mug Swap

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

F

Forgot to mention something that intrigued me about the Mr. Bali Hai in the picture from my post above. The left and right sides of the nose bone on the mug I received from TikiTacky protrude a bit further from the sides of the mug than in other versions I've seen. It's a small thing, but the extra definition of those delicate pieces really make the bone more pronounced. I dig it!

On 2013-11-21 09:47, finky099 wrote:
TikiTacky, got my box and thank you for the great mug and HH chocolates! I always get some of these when I'm in Hawaii (but it's been almost 2 years since my last trip there.) Love the Mr. Bali Hai. One of those iconic mugs that is a welcome addition to my mug family.

Finky, one of the other items in your box contained an additional prize as well. Don't overlook it!

And glad you like the mug! I think it was one of Tiki Farm's better productions.

Chypes, how'd I miss all this great stuff, TT! So glad you said that. I saw these in the other package you sent and was trying to get a better look at that "Territory of Hawaii" map (I have a touch of cartophilia) - way cool! The Don's repro menu is fantastic and big thanks for the DtB matchbook, including the inside surprise.:)

Cheers and big mahalos!
Ryan

Glad I said something! Guess the bubble wrap was hiding it. :wink:

Oh, and the map you referred to was from a great cartographer and illustrator by the name of Ruth Taylor White. She put out a series of maps of all the states in a very collectible and rare book called "Gay Geography." She also did maps of the individual Hawaiian islands showing many of the attractions of the day. I also have a high-res scanned version of the Maui map, if send me your email in a private message I'll send you a link to the file (it's 160 MB). It's out of copyright.

Looks like some great boxes!
Holler Waller
TikiTacky
yours are on the way!
(So's mine!)

TikiTacky, that's great, thanks!
I've been trying to get some Covarrubias maps of the Pacific (at least, some for less than $200-$300), but so far no luck.

On 2013-11-21 12:13, TikiTacky wrote:
Oh, and the map you referred to was from a great cartographer and illustrator by the name of Ruth Taylor White. She put out a series of maps of all the states in a very collectible and rare book called "Gay Geography." She also did maps of the individual Hawaiian islands showing many of the attractions of the day. I also have a high-res scanned version of the Maui map, if send me your email in a private message I'll send you a link to the file (it's 160 MB). It's out of copyright.

[ Edited by: finky099 2013-11-21 23:22 ]

Why am I so lucky? Wendy/Danlovestikis had my name and look at what she sent me:

Thanks Wendy!

That's awesome! Love the shipping crate.

What are the two glasses? I can see the tikis on the black one, but can't read the text on the other.

Got my package today from Brenda's Tiki Hut. A veritable treasure trove of tiki!

First, a collection of coasters, swizzles, magnets, postcards, etc:

This is great! I've been trying to get a good collection of tiki swizzles together, and you not only got me started you pretty much finished me off. Don the Beachcomber, Smuggler's Cove, Trader Vic's, plus a variety of other marked and unmarked tikis. Also I get to try the Voodoo Rum, which isn't sold around here:

A fun Dynasty monkey mug, a classic Harvey's surfer mug, and some sort of coconut/feathered something that is hopefully not part of a voodoo curse:

A shirt with a great traditional pattern reminiscent of aloha shirts of yesteryear:

A very soft aloha shirt with hibiscus stars and fireworks, perfect for the fourth of July:

It was lot of fun going through it all to see what was in there. Great! Thanks, Brenda! :D

On 2013-11-22 10:35, TikiTacky wrote:
That's awesome! Love the shipping crate.

What are the two glasses? I can see the tikis on the black one, but can't read the text on the other.

In addition to the "artist's proof sculpture" by Wendy that she sent me, are a "danlovestikis" custom rocks glass, (with the tiki images), and the hurricane is printed with "Harrah's Hawaiian Christmas, December 8 thru 18, 1988". All too cool!

TikiTacky,

Cool stuff!
That is a miniature Hawaiian warrior helmet. Ikaika in Hawaiian. I thought the same thing when my Hawaiian in-laws gave me one for Christmas. After reading about them I bought a bigger one and happily made it part of my decor.

Here's a picture for reference. They're typically made from gourds, feathers and plant life.

Danlovestiki (Wendy) yours is on the way!

I also updated the list on the first page to tally where everyone's is.
Let me know if I missed anything.

Bongo Bungalow I'm so happy to see that your box got there safely. The Tiki Crate was for the 5th Anniversary of Forbidden Island. Yours is a 1 only in that glaze. The short glass has a drawing by Traveling Jones of my Gecko Tribute Mug called the Geckoma. It fuses the Frankoma War God with all the special traits of Gecko, his big pukka shell necklace, sole patch and drum base that he invented for the Martin Denny mug he made years ago. The tall mug we found in an antique store.

I'm so happy that you like them. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-23 20:21 ]

finky099 = Awesome

Full of TC Ohana ~

A mug full of Tiki and Disney -and- a Lego Tiki Dude too!!!!!!!!

Mahalos So Much

It's a bit difficult to come by those one stop only California mugs on Rocky Top

F

You bet, glad you liked it!

On 2013-11-23 15:45, Holler Waller wrote:
finky099 = Awesome

Full of TC Ohana ~

A mug full of Tiki and Disney -and- a Lego Tiki Dude too!!!!!!!!

Mahalos So Much

It's a bit difficult to come by those one stop only California mugs on Rocky Top

Got my box from ukutiki this evening. I'll have to post the full write-up tomorrow.

Thanks, ukutiki!

Got my mug swap - cheers Pikeys Dog!

Love the maori wowie mug, I haven't got that one & its definitely a mug that comes to mind when I think of 'classic tiki mug'.

Love the home mug coconut mug too & other bits too - when I googled 'moku hei hei' it came up with your post on TC looking for a translation for 'Enchanted Island' :)

The Beachcomber beer mat is great, I'd been thinking I'd like to get one - now I have one :)

I have enjoyed the whole mug swap process, cheers to Pittsburg Pauly - I hope my recipient enjoys my parcel too. I hope to participate in the next swap :)

Thank you very much Holler Waller for the Bosko mug and the chanting green tiki. We didn't have either of these and
we've collected Bosko for years. Up at Kon Tiki we went to our second Bosko lecture.

This is one mean looking tiki.

Now I'm the mean wife because I've hidden these away until Christmas. Dan will have to wait but what fun he'll have when he does get them.

Thank you so much David, Wendy

I believe we got ourselves a fantastic box from Moai Mike...

...and what else would be inside, but a MOAI from MIKE's birthday??

This is TOO COOL! Thanks much for sending along this awesome
artifact, hand-crafted by Bosko himself for your birthday!

We have over 200 tiki mugs, and (embarrassingly) not a single Bosko mug.

Thanks MUCH for rectifying that situation with this awesome
mug! We'll be sure to find it a place of honor amongst his new buddies.

--Pete

Here's the stuff I got from ukutiki:

Some coasters and a brochure of Koloa rum with some recipes in it:

A collection of tiki tunes, a coaster from Kona Brewing, and a sticker for something called Temptress:

More swizzles, plus a tiny little ukulele (since he knows I also play):

A fun Dynasty pirate mug and a colorful tiki candle:

A Sumo mug I hadn't seen before:

Thanks, ukutiki!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-12-01 12:23 ]

Wow! Looks like some really great stuff was sent out!
I updated the first entry, and I think everyone's has shipped by now (I'm pretty sure at least).

F

This is great. I love seeing everybody's tiki swap packages.
Thanks for organizing it, Pauly. I look forward to doing this again next year!

Got mine today! Mahalo AdorAdam ! It's really keen!

I will post a photo tomorrow!

A

On 2013-12-03 13:41, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Got mine today! Mahalo AdorAdam !

Hurray!

Look at that!
Art by Big Toe and more, swizzles, Don's coconut and Vegas ashtray (something old, something new), Tiki Ti 50th coconut, and Trader Vic's Tiki Liki! Amazing! I've been hunting for a Tiki Liki for awhile and had a crazy idea I might find one in August on my first trip to Hawaii(ha!)

So much goodness Andy is jealous, at least I think that's his jealous face, it's kind of hard to tell.

It's too too much and I love it all!
Mahalo tikilongbeach!

I'm glad you like it. Happy holidays to you!

Here's what AdOrAdam sent me:

I've been eyeing those Butlin's mugs for a long time now! AdOrAdam found it on my Ooga Mooga Wish List! Very cool.

The Churchill pot is in a bamboo-like style and will one day have mint growing in it.

Mahalo AOA!

U

Received a great package from Pikey's Dog.

A Pony Express Kane to keep company with my Pony Express Ku

A Moai Statue to add to my wife's 48 year old collection of Moais

And an empty but aromatic bottle of Havana Club Rum (My best man was from Havana)

And a whole bunch of go-withs.

Mahalo....Pikey's Dog...Cheerio

U

Received my swap box from Klockwork. Lots of good stuff including a Trader Sam's Shrunken Zombie Head mug....the first Trader Sam example in my collection. Also a lot of loot from various Tiki conventions. Really appreciated those items since not of lot of Tiki conventions here in Michigan. Plus coasters, swizzles, matches, Oasis pendant, loot bag, and big baby tiki sippy cup. Mahalo---Klockwork

Glad you like it Ukutiki! Hopefully it brings a little tiki sun into your cold Michigan winter.

So I'm a little late in posting my package, but I got a fantastic grip of swag from my home stomping grounds of Illinois! All courtesy of my lil' bro Ragbag Comics.

First off there are the mugs, Fong Fest shirts (art by Ragbag Comics), Fong Fest posters (art ALSO by Ragbag Comics) and a couple girlie Mags. Mugs included were A Three Dots and a Dash Sea Urchin, A Foundation Barrel and a Kon Tiki Ports Ku mug:

Then there are the massive amounts of swizzles from a variety of cool places, matchbooks and coasters:

The posters look great all framed and ready to be hung up in the bar (once it gets finished):

Thanks for everything!

No sign of mine yet...

:(

PD

One trade received - Thanks Pittsburgh Pauly - still awaiting the second swap though...

Anything on the horizon P Dog?

Unfortunately not - I think Pirates may have intercepted it somewhere in the Atlantic...

Well, that sucks! Did you ever get a tracking number from your trading partner?

No.

I've written it off to be honest.

8T

That's why I decided not to do any more of these trades. Although many of the photos shown are full of cool goodies, my own fortunes were less than what the rules implied. (No package, cracked mugs, wooden mug). Anyway, I know it's all about the aloha etc.......but too bad when some of the "ohana" just enter and receive, don't give. I still enjoy seeing the threads like this because it shows that there are some very generous and friendly swappers who participate and I like seeing all of the extras that folks toss in.

We've written it off as lost :(
But I have a back-up! I figured this could happen at some point, and Slacks Ferret has been kind enough to send along some things to include in it before I ship it off to the great unknown again, I mean.... to the UK.
Thanks for hanging in there Pikey

PD

Thanks for the update -

I fully believe that the trade was sent - just that I've been unfortunate in not receiving it.

There's probably a "package handler" drinking a tropical cocktail from a Tiki mug right now....

Pages: 1 2 87 replies