Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Fiji Mermaid custom display case / lamp

Pages: 1 26 replies

Greetings !! Here's my latest creation, hot out of the studio. A few weeks back I purchased a Fiji Mermaid online from an artist that creates them out of resin. Once home, I needed to create a display case so i could display it safely in my tiki room as it is quite fragile. Regular store bought displays were too boring (the kind they use to display footballs and such purchased at local craft stores) so i borrowed an idea from an old concept I had awhile back to use for fishtanks in the tiki room. I simply created a "treasure chest" facade around a store bought plastic tank. I fabricated a lid that hides a small wattage green bulb to cast an eerie glow. Here are the results - I still need to add a little more "treasure" in the way of some fake gold coins and a few jewels and then it will really be complete.

enjoy !!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-11-03 04:10 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-11-03 04:31 ]

S

Looks great.

EJ

Nice work. That looks really good.

UT

WOW !! Old photos of that nasty thing have always creeped me out. You hit the nail on the head as your creation creeps me out just as much. Love the detail on the treasure chest and the green lighting really makes it pop. Thanks for posting the results of your hard work. Just awesome !!

C

:D

H

Original and well executed. I love it and would buy one. :)

That is so cool...and would look great in my home lounge. I may "borrow" this idea.

That's DISGUSTING ~ in a really cool way :D Great job, love the details on the chest.

H
Heath posted on Sun, Nov 3, 2013 9:25 AM

That's awesome!
You could also use this photo to make a lenticular much like the portraits in the Haunted Mansion.

thanks for the kind words, everyone !

Tipsy- that rocks
Well done

Jon

That looks great!

S

Marina would be on this like white on rice if you produced and sold them.

I posted a photo to her Facebook to show her.

This is really fantastic!

T

Great job David!
Keep makin and postin, have always liked your stuff.

That's awesome! VERY nice job.

Love it. What's the name of the guy who makes the mermaids?

i bought it on ebay - he's got a real nice 27" long one up there right now. just do an ebay search here in the states and you'll find him.

Is the the ghost of RUFUS !?

Nice job, Dave!

thanks everyone !! I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

HOLY CRAP! Awesome display making it five times as scary with that lighting! Really dig it! Bet I could scare the dickens out of my nieces and nephews with something like that.... hmmmm.... :D

S

Love this!

Really liked your mermaid display! So much so that I looked up that guy on ebay and bought one similar to yours. Will attempt to do something like it although probably not a chest. A bit more challenging than my skills I'm afraid. Might try mine appearing behind a ship's portal in the wall for a different look. I have a shadow box that might work for the enclosure.

PP

creeeeeeepy!!!!!

Tipsy, received my Fiji Mermaid today from that ebay seller and wanted to say thanks. Doubt I would have noticed it if not for your post and photos. Kind of fragile item but extremely well packed. Very happy. Now onto figuring out how I'll use my "portal" wall decor to display her.

you're welcome and good luck !! i like supporting artists whose work i enjoy. that guy makes some great creepy stuff. post pics when you are done !

That's a wonderful way to display the fragile art. Good job creating it, Wendy

Love
Dioramas
and Fijian Mermaids
ever since i was a Kid...
You NAILED it!
Great piece!

Pages: 1 26 replies