Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut's Festival of Lights Parade float in Palm Springs: We Won Best Big Rig!!!

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

The float came together beautifully, and looked incredible! We were very well received by the throngs of spectators, and...

WE WON BEST BIG RIG!!! How cool is that?!?!

MUCHO MAHALOS to everybody who helped out with the float!
Manuel, Claudia, Murph, Rob, Krisdrama, David, Gina, Christine, Tonga Tom, Sherriyaki, Tiki-ESP, Karen, Agent Banks, Marty, Steve, John-O, Gee Davee, PolyPop, Big Kahuna, Caroline & Dog... this project couldn't have happened without your help!

Already working on plans for next year's float!

Check out this link for more parade info:
http://psfestivaloflights.com/

Tonga Hut is entering a float in the Palm Springs Festival of Lights Parade on Saturday, December 7th.
It's a fun way of introducing the Hut to the Palm Springs community and to herald the opening of the second location of the Tonga Hut in downtown Palm Springs.

Murph mentioned the idea to me and I did some drawings of how I thought the float could look... I'm excited to say my design will be brought to illuminated life for the parade!

Here are the drawings for the float concept:

There will also be people walking along side the float, with illuminated tiki head masks:

Mahalo!
Yer Pal,
Eric October

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2013-12-09 19:01 ]

Now this will be cool!

Great idea. Good luck with.

WOW!!! Fantastic!!...Can't wait for the parade and "Tonga hut' opening!..TikiMouse and I are chomping at the bit waiting for the new opening! We will try to come down to help on the float too.. YAY!!

Great design Eric, that would be fun to help build. Unfortunately I will be in Mexico that weekend :( I'm still in float building mode, just finished one for our local parade last week

Eric, that is a really great design! It looks worthy enough for the Rose Bowl Parade.

Such a cool concept!

I wish I could help with the building.

Can't wait to see how it comes together--yay Tonga Hut! #1 tiki establishment in LA hands down!

T

UPDATED INFO for 11/17:
Work party meeting again on Sunday, November 17th starting at 10am. We will be mostly stringing up the lights on the flowers, leaves and trees.

We finished up around 4pm on Saturday, so we may go as long on Sunday, but at this stage, flowers and leaves can be taken home to be completed too, so if you can only come for a few hours, earlier in the day is probably better.

And a huge MAHALO to everybody that came out today! We really got lots done, figured out our plan of attack for the next few steps, and had lots of fun!

[ Edited by: tobunga 2013-11-16 18:32 ]

JB

Thanks for the pictures! So bummed I wasn't able and won't be able to come and help :(

You are so creative Eric--Tonga Hut is lucky to have your skills!

T

UPDATE:

This weekend we'll be meeting on Sunday the 24th, starting at 10am.

We're in pretty good shape so far, but need to finish up a few things... stop by and lend a hand if yer available!

Update Update!!!
Meeting up for float building this Sunday Dec 1st, 10am-???
See you there!

M
Murph posted on Sun, Dec 1, 2013 8:52 PM

The Christmas Moai lives! and the lighted signs are ready for next weekends parade!

M
Murph posted on Sun, Dec 1, 2013 8:57 PM

Join us this weekend in Palm Springs!

Thanks for posting that Murph!

Jeff btd

T

Looking forward to this! I've heard one of the tikis from the OG Tonga Hut is making an appearance :)

T

Today is the big day!

Check out this link for more parade info:
http://psfestivaloflights.com/

And if you want to catch the parade from the exotic luxury of Tong Hut Palm Springs, visit http://www.tongahut.com for info and tickets.

[ Edited by: tobunga 2013-12-07 02:32 ]

T

Hey Everybody!

Here are some photos of the float, in progress, during the parade, and some behind the scenes shots...

The first few are from the staging area, where we were assembling the final touches on the float.

Tikiyaki arrived for their sound check.

Night was fast approaching, and the lights went on...

Here's the volcano!

Here's the sign:

And a wide shot of the whole float:

Some close ups and behind the scenes:

Side lights:

Masks in a line:

Close up of the lights!

Inside the mouth of the volcano (one of my favorite shots... looks like a nebula in outer space!:

Mahalos!
Eric

Great job to everyone & congrats on winning best float!

T

Great job!
Love the Moai.

AMAZING !! AMAZING! AMAZING!! GREAT FLOAT,GREAT TIME...Eric you are the best!.... TikiMouse and I had a blast watching the parade,and that grand float from the patio of THPS .... the place looked beautiful! Danny and crew did an outstanding job! It was worth the two hour drive (in the rain)to party w/everyone...Mahalos to the Murphys and Amy for making the night really special. Special Mahalo to Marie for coming up w/some tastey 'mock-tails'....looking forward to the 'real' menu soon...perhaps New Year's Eve? .......'there's always rum just around the corner'

AF

CONGRATS TO THE TONGA HUT! And to all involved in the award winning effort!!!

If only Amy could make room in the Hut to keep it forever. Eric you are so talented. We are looking forward to the day we can make it to Palm Springs and to also see the MadDogMike display. So much creativity in the Tiki Ohana. I just can't stop smiling. Thank you, Wendy

PS we missed you at Tiki Marketplace

Beautiful! Eric, I still didn't figure out what the Moai is made of?

And congratulations to everyone who designed and executed

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-12-09 15:21 ]

T

Hey Mike!

The moai is made of white foam board, held together with pins and glue! That may sound a bit insubstantial, but it was surprisingly sturdy.

It's pretty much the largest thing I've ever constructed from foam board. Fortunately it was light enough that one person could carry it.

It was lit from inside by a clamp light with a green bulb.... the seams were the most translucent, so the edges glowed and made the whole thing look like an ice sculpture!

M

Can't thank all the volunteers enough for the awesome job they did on their award winning float!

It was an enchanted evening (even without the booze!): The float was truly a work of art, Tikiyaki 5-0 was as great as ever, and the venue captures the magic of mid-century tiki. I'm looking forward to the grand opening . . . and many future nights at both locations!

Wow...fabulous...Tiki peeps always do such a great job. FUN!!!! Love the Moai.

Pages: 1 27 replies