Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Your favorite photos

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

I did a search and found nothing on this subject. I can easily edit/delete if I'm needlessly starting a new thread.
On a recent trip I took tons of pix. Most are of interest only to me. A few, imhbo, are worthy of sharing with my fellow tc’ers. Please share yours. Only guidlines that I would like to see followed; Photos must be yours.
Must somehow, however loosely, be connected to our mutual interest in “tiki”
Captions, if you got em.
I’ll kick this off with six of my fav’s-opinions/comments welcome

Front Lawn,Bishop Museum, Honolulu, November,2013

Waikiki, Halloween,November, 2013

Tiki and Banyan tree, International Marketplace, Honolulu, November, 2013

Hanalei Town,Kauai, November, 2013

Kamokila village, Wailua Valley, Kauai, November, 2013

Colocasia after a rain, the “jungle” area of my backyard,La Mirada,Ca, November, 2013

Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
Mahalo

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-21 17:52 ]

T

Nice idea.
I will play.
This is from a video I took of the Kahiki.
Took this shot of this light because I really wanted this light it's huge and made of
plastic with plastic beads inside that sparkle when lit.

Here is that same light in my house.
Gave some music and a dvd of the last days of kahiki I shot to the owners wife.
Later that day the workers at the egg roll factory told me to come and get this light.
They would not let me pay for the light. Thank you mrs. Tsao.

American airlines tiki with a Bosko tiki as well.
I put neon behind the AA tiki for a cool glow.

This would make a nice screen saver.
Don't often see a group of floats all lit up en mass.

8T

I love this photo so much I use it in my TC avatar. This 8FT tiki originally resided at the Kona Kai in Kansas City, MO
Carved by Oceanic Arts. Photographed by my buddy Silverline.

I once was lost.....but now I'm found.....

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2013-11-22 15:12 ]

Nice pix tikiskip-lamps ain’t bad either!?
8 ft., That is a nice photo. How did you come by that awesome tiki?
Mahalo to you Gentlemen.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-02 19:56 ]

Great photos everyone. I'm no photographer by a long shot but here are a couple of my favorites that I have taken. The first is a vintage tiki from the Mai Kai Lounge in Tecumseh Mi. from my expedition a few years ago. It's gone now.

This is a photo of a vintage velvet that hangs in my home bar the Hukilau Lounge.

M

Uncle trav any idea on what happen to the Mai Kai Lounge artifacts?

On 2013-11-23 07:51, mudbone wrote:
Uncle trav any idea on what happen to the Mai Kai Lounge artifacts?

Mudbone, I wish I did but I don't have a clue. To far from my house to check on it from time to time.

V

Great thread!

Here is a pic I snapped a few weeks ago at Haleiwa Joe's in Haiku Gardens. It screams "mysterious Polynesian jungle adventure" to me!

Very nice pix Uncle T and Van.
I’m gonna make it a point to visit Haleiwa Joes next years visit to Oahu Van. Didn’t now about either of “Joe’s” existence til I googled em cuz of your picture/post
Mahalo Gentlemen

Last week

Very nice. You're making us all jealous!

Some pics from a trip to the Islands of love (well according to Elvis)a few years ago.

Firstly, at the Hawaiana on Oahu, now long gone:

Another tiki in the gardens at the Sheraton Kauai:

Bar stools at the Tahiti Nui, Kauai:

Sunset at the Royal Hawaiian Surf Bar:

A view of the Royal Hawaiian from the Waikiki Circle Hotel (built in 1962 and in the opening shots of Blue Hawaii):

and finally, Mitzi the Tiki Cat in our garden at home:

Nice pix TH the forth! The bar-stools at Tahiti Nui remind me that Tiki Iniki has nuttin on Tahiti Nui. Luv dat place!
Mahalo
Btw H10, your photo skills ain’t too bad either. Glad you had a safe trip home.

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Dec 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Here's a couple of lovely ladies I had the pleasure of photographing at the Mai Kai:

[ Edited by: ThreeTikis 2016-01-31 17:22 ]

S

I need to go through all my pics from when i visited in August 2012 but here is one. Myself with two fantastic gentlemen who took me under their wings and showed me a great time while i was there.

Myself, Tiki Vato and the creator of this thread, nui 'umi 'umi.

You have excellent taste Robbie. Ha!

Honeymooning menehunes.

K
Kanu posted on Sun, Jan 12, 2014 10:56 AM

I've always liked this twilight photo that I took of Humphrey's Half Moon Inn.

Nice pix Kanu and Kiwi! Keep em coming folks
Cheers

The last tiki at Diamond Head Apt's. Lacey, WA.

Tikicoma, A great pic and a caption like your post leaves me wanting more-what’s the scoop on the Diamond-head apt’s and how did you get “involved”
Mahalo

San Francisco Tiki Crawl V (morning after)

LOL UB...only you could tie that craziness to the aloha spirit...love it!!!

I still have a fascination with the El Cortez Hotel in San Diego. Used to play on the walkway and get rides up and down in the glass elevator. My tie in here is to cocktails...as a kid had my first Shirley Temple in the Sky Room in a fancy stemmed cocktail glass with a maraschino cherry garnish. I have been enamored of fancy schmancy cocktails ever since.

El Cortez Apartment Hotel was a landmark hotel in San Diego, California. Built from 1926 to 1927, the El Cortez was the tallest building in San Diego when it opened. It sits atop a hill at the north end of Downtown San Diego, where it dominated the city skyline for many years. From its opening in 1927 through the 1950s, it was the most glamorous apartment-hotel in San Diego. The large "El Cortez" sign, which is illuminated at night, was added in 1937 and could be seen for miles. In the 1950s, the world's first outside glass elevator and the first motorized moving sidewalk were built at the El Cortez. During the late 1960s and 1970s, the El Cortez fell on harder times. The El Cortez closed as a hotel in 1978 when it was purchased by evangelist Morris Cerullo to serve as an evangelism school. Cerullo sold the property in 1981, and the El Cortez was threatened with demolition until the San Diego Historic Site Board designated it as a historic site in 1990. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Many of the original elements remain in place, though substantial interior modifications have been made. The building is the 28th tallest building in San Diego, based on its height of 310 ft (94 m).

Vamp,
That “skybar” is killa!
Can’t help but notice the El Cortez whenever we're in San Diego. Mahalo for the history you provided.
Btw, I have circled the E C out of curiosity and i don’t recall what looks to be in your pix a pedestrian bridge.

Sadly the "travelator" was removed and the glass elevator no longer exists. I was thrilled when they did not tear down the building. My parents owned an apartment house on Cedar street which was about a block and a half behind the El Cortez, so we used to check out the place whenever we were on that property getting an apartment ready for rent. I still remember the gorgeous art deco carpeting in the lobby...it was breath taking. In the 60's me and my sister and a couple of friends went to an event in one of the conference rooms put on by Yardley...Twiggy walked the run way and we got free make up (including "Slicker" lipstick). But the most fun thing was my family got dressed up and went to the Sky Room and I got that Shirley Temple...it was magical.

Awesome Vamp! What sweet memories you must have.
Mahalo for sharing both your memories and the pix.

Didn't the El Cortez get converted to condos? They did keep the external part of the building vintage. I drive past it all the time, but I haven't actually been in it...

It is condos now, at least partially. I actually saw an episode of one of those house hunting TV shows recently where the buyer looked at a condo there (but actually bought in North Park.)

The historic El Cortez, designed by Walker & Eisen Architects, has become a treasured landmark in Downtown San Diego since its completion in 1927. Built on the site of Ulysses S. Grant, Jr.’s former home, El Cortez originally opened with 85 apartment suites and 32 hotel rooms. After enduring the Great Depression, failed business ventures, and neglect, El Cortez was resurrected on July 25, 1990 when the City of San Diego’s Historic Site Board designated it as “historic.”

The J. Peter Block Companies worked to restore the historical elements in order to bring the El Cortez to modern standards. The amenities now include two sun terraces, a refitted 1950′s pool, indoor spa, and a gym. A terrace and the Don Room are available for private functions.

One-bedrooms range from approximately 664 to 820 square feet, and the two-bedrooms range from 880 to 1523 square feet. Most residences have high ceilings and characteristics reminiscent of Spanish Renaissance Revival Architecture.

Completed: 1927
Building High Rise: 16 floors with 85 units.
Floor Plans: One, two, three and four bedroom condos from 780 sq ft to 2,450 sq ft
HOA Dues: From $600+ per month

This is one of my favorite pictures as it shows my Tiki that used to live at the now defunct Trader Vics in San Francisco.

On 2014-01-21 00:20, VampiressRN wrote:
This is one of my favorite pictures as it shows my Tiki that used to live at the now defunct Trader Vics in San Francisco.

How big izzat cool dude Vamp?
Btw, nice pix!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-01-23 23:33 ]

Rear entrance to “Minnie’s, Modesto California. Definitely worth a visit.

Front entrance Pix taken January, 2014

The“Hali Kalani,” Apt’s, Whittier Ca

H

On 2014-02-14 07:42, hiltiki wrote:

Nice line-up Hilda! Not your usual suspects. Interesting pic-keep em coming
Cheers

Sure sign of Spring- Puffers coming out of TikiVato’s and Rosemary’s garden. Note; “tikitanker “aka Nui 'Umi 'Umi

[ Edited by: tikitanker2 2014-02-25 16:52 ]

[ Edited by: tikitanker2 2014-02-26 01:02 ]

This is what happens when your kids don't find all the easter eggs. You've been warned!

Here at last! Heavy Rain in L A. Mahalo Lono!
Had to tarp my outdoor bar. Thatch was so dry water would flow right through.
Cheers

8T

On 2014-01-01 13:51, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
As you drive towards the Bali Hai on Shelter Island Dr. you’re flanked at times by “barricades” that my wife says reminds her of tiki’s.
Well, one was a casualty of the new year. When I first saw him he was lying on the walk surronded by debris. The pictures show him cleaned up a bit

Glad you are getting rain. Did your little friend there in the 2nd photo follow you home???

Good eye 8ft! He lives close by but he’s in bad health. Almost cracked in half and termite ridden. I got him from the street maint .guys as he was about to get a ride to the “trash heap”. My initial plan was to use him as a template/model for a new one but finding wood of that dimension is near impossible. My bro in law said he would glue some lumber together for me but he is not in good health either so we’ll see.
Cheers

8T

Thanks, I guess it's the urban archaeologist in me. As far as finding wood to make one. Brother, that's easy. Get an old used railroad tie and cut it to the desired length. The rest is just sawing and drilling. But be careful because some ties have metal supports in them. Be brave and try it!

Mahalo 8ft!

Spring in SoCal.
Cheers

Family photo. 2012.
Polynesian Cultural Center

Pages: 1 2 75 replies