Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Your favorite photos

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

On 2014-04-01 22:27, christiki295 wrote:
Family photo. 2012.
Polynesian Cultural Center

CT295 How tall are those Moai? Where is that center at?
Nice pic!

I was playing some Hawaiian music on the patio with a friend this weekend.
Took this shot of my 1940 Epiphone lap-steel sitting on my peacock chair, also from the 40's!

This guy was sitting next to us, but didn't join in.

Rix. I don’t know which is cooler .The guitar or the tiki? Is there a story behind either one? Nice pix too!
Mahalo

I’ve been busy grooming the plants that I intend to enter into L A international Fern Society’s annual fern and exotic plant show. The show is held at the L A County Arboretum ( Arcadia, California) The days this year are July 26-27.
Back in the day it seems that the tiki palaces used lotsa plastic “exotic” plants. I use one of my other collecting passions (live ferns and tropicals) in and around my tiki lounge and find it a good fit.
The following pix don’t necessarily reflect how I display/use my plant collection in my lounge, for example I placed the fern on top of the tiki’s head so that I could see any fronds that needed to be clipped. My wife liked the sorta humorous result and I decided to waste some of my unlimited film stash and post some pix.
Cheers

Tiki bought in a bar, Shelter Island, Ca W/“Rabbitsfoot" fern.

W/ “Leather” fern

Tree fern W/resin tiki from Tuesday Morning store in La Habra, Ca

Timber Bamboo planted in the spring of 2013. Already too big for the show-hopefully it’ll get as tall as what they use to have at Hi-Times liquor in Costa Mesa. Mugs shown for scale

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-07-10 22:29 ]

At the Airport on the Big Island.

Looking through photos of our trip to Oahu and the Big Island for this guy, I am again amazed at the beauty of those places. Not tiki, but if you'll indulge me, here're a few in the spirit of Aloha. All from 2009.

Very nice pix Bam! Keep em coming.I particularly liked the Anole and the Hibiscus and the pink outrigger and the......
Mahalo

Thanks. But, you really shouldn't encourage me...

While not expressly tiki, there is certainly a tie-in with the history of the Royal Hawaiian (of which I've included numerous photos), both on account of Trader Vic's association and its use as R&R for the Navy during WWII, who are largely responsible for bringing elements of the South Seas back to vitalize the Polynesian Pop/Tiki aesthetic/culture we all dig. I really think I've gone overboard, but hopefully not too obnoxiously so. Again, all from September, 2009:

And to bring it back for some OTC, from February, 2014 at the Polynesian at WDW:

Bam,
Your pix capture the magic and allure of the Islands.
I’m tryng to book a trip there asap!
Mahalo!

Temps in the high 80’s. Sipping a 1944 Mai Tai. Rain coming down pretty good on my Jungle garden. Dats as close to “tropical “ as you can get in SoCal.
Cheers

Hawaii and Disneyland

img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/79188/53fffcd7.jpg[/img]

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kraig 2014-08-28 21:12 ]

On 2014-08-28 21:09, Kahuna Kraig wrote:
Hawaii and Disneyland

img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/79188/53fffcd7.jpg[/img]

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kraig 2014-08-28 21:12 ]

KK, Izzat a sunrise or a sunset? Beautiful pic!
Mahalo

M

Looking West would be sunset.

Velly clever UB.
Mahalo!

On 2014-08-29 22:20, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Velly clever UB.
Mahalo!

Not my photo

Sorry to indulge, like a forcing you to watch slides of a family vacation. I have too many fav tiki photos. I apologize ahead of time. Great thread by the way.

I'll group my fav photos.

FIRST REAL TIKI
from Bishop Museum

I think the following is significant because it is like a forerunner to today's and mid-centaury tiki bowls. This item as well as another there are from the kingdom era (around 140 years ago, after the worship of tiki was sort of abolished by the ali'i moi. It ended up sort of dinnerware, not really ancient.

from Puuhonua O Hônaunau National Historical Park on the Big Island of Hawaii. Disclaimer: the Park will and has replaced these ki`i or tiki when worn down by the elements. They are authentic in design but not ancient.

GOOD TIKI
Moai from the book, "The Statues That Walk" and documentary, "Mystery of Easter Island". Kualoa Valley, O'ahu.

Outside Polynesian Cultural Center

Outside Bishop Museum

Inside Hilo Hatties

Outside the entrance of Trader Vic's Atlanta

BAD TIKI

MY TIKI
My little SUV stickers put on before I discovered TC and the movement

My little ivory Ku from my mom's collection

My recently acquired framed tiki

Some of my Marquesan Salt and Pepper shakers

A rare painting I did over 30 years ago. The only one I kept-foreshadowing :)

Lastly my all time favorite photo a recent experiment in lighting-cool foreground, warm background

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-08-30 15:18 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-08-30 15:19 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-08-30 15:25 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 30, 2014 6:36 PM

Tom "Thor" Thordarson painting severed heads on Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid's dress at Tiki Oaisis 2014. It's a horrible job, but somebody's gotta do it. :)

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-08-30 18:38 ]

Nice pix CN.
Yours was ok Grogman but we would rather look at tikis. Hah!
Mahalo to both of you.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 30, 2014 9:05 PM

There's video from the above as well:

http://youtu.be/O581YSTZJaw

Okay so the first one is Tiki. AND since GroG get away with posting mermnaid... well...

Kaanapali Beach Resort Tiki

GroG at Tiki Oasis.. :D

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2014 8:13 AM

On 2014-08-30 21:50, Beachbumz wrote:

GroG at Tiki Oasis.. :D

You're either sick or you have great taste. GROG go with latter. :D

On 2014-08-30 15:14, creativenative wrote:
Sorry to indulge, like a forcing you to watch slides of a family vacation. I have too many fav tiki photos. I apologize ahead of time. Great thread by the way.

I'll group my fav photos.

FIRST REAL TIKI
from Bishop Museum

I think the following is significant because it is like a forerunner to today's and mid-centaury tiki bowls. This item as well as another there are from the kingdom era (around 140 years ago, after the worship of tiki was sort of abolished by the ali'i moi. It ended up sort of dinnerware, not really ancient.

from Puuhonua O Hônaunau National Historical Park on the Big Island of Hawaii. Disclaimer: the Park will and has replaced these ki`i or tiki when worn down by the elements. They are authentic in design but not ancient.

Nice merging the mid-Century Tiki with that from the ancient Hawaiians.

Everyone in L A knows that our movie celeb 6th Street Bridge is scheduled fo demo. CeCe and I Took some pix yesterday hoping that the demo had not commenced. The equipment is there and it’s full speed ahead for the work crews. Angelenos, go get your pix while you can

one of my fave Tiki's, carved by Patel, purchased from Big ED (TikiBroker) photo bombed one of my pix. He’s 3 1/2 ft. tall.

this is the swag lamp that hangs from the a-frame at Humphreys Half Moon Inn. Almost a typhoon out there
tonight.

Some of my favorite Tiki-related photos are of people. I've met some great people through our shared interest in Tiki. And getting photos of artists with their work is always fun. Here's Dave Hansen of Wisconsin with one of his great hand-carved signs. (I didn't buy this one but bought several other carvings from him):

Trips to Oceanic Arts always feel like Christmas morning, and I always have to bring my camera along. I liked this 2010 shot of Leroy at work:

Here's Bamboo Ben and Vicki at the International Tiki Marketplace last year. I used to loiter around their store (before they decided they didn't need one) soaking up Tiki atmosphere and generally being annoying:

And here's a group photo of us Tiki folk at the La Palma Chicken Pie Shop in Anaheim (Kevin, Jody, me, Daniel Paul, Beachbum Berry, bigbrotiki and Naomi:

Of course sometimes it's just about the Tikis themselves. Here's a 2008 shot from Sam's Seafood (now Don the Beachcomber) that I often use in my lectures on Tiki history. I usually drop this shot in around the portion of the program where I talk about the decline/deevolution of Polynesian Pop in the 1970s/80s:

And of course, I have to include a Disney image. This is from Disneyland in 2012:

So there are a few samples. Another 660 Tiki-related photos can be found on my "Tiki & Polynesian Pop" album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/traderchris/albums/72157605914873641

Cool pix SpaceAge.
Check out the pic Jimflies posted “my tiki outside...”
Cheers

Spring is early in SoCal. Checked on some of my Cymbidiums today and was surprised by the flower spike. Palm frond Tiki by Leroy.

Getting plenty of rain this winter here in SoCal. Seems it might have changed the flight habits of our local parrots.Usually 20-25 birds is a large flock in my neighborhood. The tree next door provided a rest-stop for more than a hundred. I don’t know what kind they are-there are about 13 species of parrots gone wild in California
Cheers

Pages: 1 2 75 replies