Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Eat your rum

Pages: 1 14 replies

Taking this to my fern clubs Christmas party tonight. Was a big hit during the summer and I have had many requests from the membership to bring one.
This recipe for rum cake is so easy and can be dressed up by the addition of fruit placed into the middle of the cake for decoration. Pecans make a nice addition, placed in the pan before the batter is poured in.
1 package of yellow cake mix
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup of oil
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup Myers's Original Dark Rum
1/4 cup of demarara sugar
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of water
1 cup Myers's Original Dark Rum
Mix first 6 ingredients & pour into a well greased Bundt pan. Bake 50 minutes @ 325 deg, or until a knife comes out clean. To glaze, heat remainder of ingredients except rum, to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool, then add rum just before glazing.
To glaze the cake in the pan, poke holes in bottom, then pour glaze on. Or turn the cake out, poke holes, & pour glaze.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-20 14:41 ]

I like it. I have a big bottle of Myers that I wasn't a big fan of, I bet it would make good rum cake

I haven't baked with rum. I really enjoy and admire the terrific aroma of Pusser's brand rum. I wonder if Pusser's would work better than Myers's from the standpoint of post-cooking aroma? I know Myers's has a bolder flavor than Pusser's, and my guess is that Myers's might work better when baking. But oh that delightful Pusser's aroma - I'm a big fan - and I cannot open my Pusser's bottle without giving the cork and the bottle a good whiff. When drinking with friends, I always ask them to sample the aroma as well. Gotta share the love, right?

On 2013-12-22 11:36, AceExplorer wrote:
I haven't baked with rum. I really enjoy and admire the terrific aroma of Pusser's brand rum. I wonder if Pusser's would work better than Myers's from the standpoint of post-cooking aroma? I know Myers's has a bolder flavor than Pusser's, and my guess is that Myers's might work better when baking. But oh that delightful Pusser's aroma - I'm a big fan - and I cannot open my Pusser's bottle without giving the cork and the bottle a good whiff. When drinking with friends, I always ask them to sample the aroma as well. Gotta share the love, right?

Hey Ace, Give it a try and submit a written report in the morning. Seriously Ace, the glaze added just before serving the cake is almost all rum. I think you’re in for quite a treat!
Mahalo
Btw,Demerara sugar is difficult to find-I use regular C & H granulated

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-22 22:01 ]

I will trying this recipe out for Christmas Eve. Thanks!!

Made two of these this afternoon and brought one out to a Christmas party. Man, this cake packs a punch!

I an going to keep this recipe in the rotation and as far as the cake proper I probably wont change a thing. As far as the glaze/rum bath, I think I am going to figure out how to tame that a bit to make it a little more accessible to the mire timid party guests.

As for myself, I think I ate half the cake myself!

Thanks for the recipe!

I chuckle every time i see this thread title, as it sounds like a parent scolding a child:

"Now eat your rum, Billy. There are sober children in china, you know."

"Aw Ma, can't you make me some vodka to eat instead??"

SunnyRum, you’re welcome, Porp, you have me chuckling now, Happy New Year!

"Btw,Demerara sugar is difficult to find-I use regular C & H granulated"

I know all the hip people avoid WalMart like the plague but they carry demarara sugar.

H

I buy my Demerara sugar from Ralph's.

On 2013-12-22 11:36, AceExplorer wrote:

You might like this then. Sorry, no picture, I'm on my phone. It's $28.95.
http://www.pussers.com/c-18-pussers-famous-rum-cake.aspx

H

I think I saw these for sale at T. J. Maxx.

On 2013-12-26 19:04, hiltiki wrote:
I think I saw these for sale at T. J. Maxx.

I'll need to check out TJ Maxx then!

Mahalo Hilda and Mike for the Sweet tips!
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-26 21:55 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies