Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Does anyone know a location in Long Beach/Orange County area for a Vintage/Retro/Shabby Chic style

Pages: 1 9 replies

The PineappleMan here. My wife does photography on the side and has a photo shoot to do in early February and the person she is taking pictures of is looking for a location that is Vintage/Retro where she can take pictures. She is trying to figure out where the best place to take the pictures in the local Long Beach/Orange County area. Some Shabby Chic her client asked for. Any suggestions from the Tiki/Retro folks for places that would be good for this type of photo shoot?

Thanks,
The Pineappleman
http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/

TM

Any of the old motels along beach blvd....

Retro Row in Long Beach, Old Towne Orange, Bixby Knolls (Atlantic Avenue) in Long Beach, Main Street Seal Beach.

Retro Row in Long Beach, Old Towne Orange, Bixby Knolls (Atlantic Avenue) in Long Beach, Main Street Seal Beach.

"Retro" or "vintage," but not necessarily tiki or tropical, right? How about taking photos aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach? Depending on the nature of the shoot, you might need permission for anything more than snapshots though. The Observation Bar, as I recall, was very nice and classy art deco. Really the whole ship is a nice photo location with stair cases, atriums, bars, great views of the city, etc.

Disney's Grand Californian hotel has some really cool re-created vintage interiors too. Same issue with permission, though, I'm sure, unless you are stealthy. They are friendly if you call and ask about their policies in advance.

Then there's the very vintage and craftsman style Gamble House in Pasadena -- this is where Doc Brown lived in Back To The Future. Again, you need permission, because it is controlled like a museum of sorts.

Thanks for the quick responses......I'll pass along the ideas.

TM

some of the googie style old motels, such as I pointed out before...are definitely shabby (most are now crack motels) but still have the retro stylings...these can be found anywhere on beach blvd between garden grove and buena park....

FM

On 2014-01-12 15:58, lucas vigor wrote:
some of the googie style old motels, such as I pointed out before...are definitely shabby (most are now crack motels) but still have the retro stylings...these can be found anywhere on beach blvd between garden grove and buena park....

Plus 1 on the above comment. Disney wasn't able to get all of the cool old motels changed. I guess these were further away from Disneyland so they were left alone. The Robin Hood is pretty cool.

I remember, and miss, the old Stovall's space age motels. Those were really wild looking and "out there." Now, as I recall from my last visit, they have become just boring old standard motel fare. Blah...

I also miss the tiki-themed motels in Anaheim. So glad there are photos preserved in places like "Book Of Tiki," etc.

Yes, the Robin Hood Motel,913 S Beach Blvd, Anaheim, CA

Yelp: Robin Hood

Gone by a zillion times and keep saying I got to stop and get some photos of the place but have not got my own.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

Pages: 1 9 replies