Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Rex's TikiBaby Nursery

Pages: 1 29 replies

Aloha! We have a little one on the way and needed a theme for the nursery. What better theme than TIKI!! The wife and I live in a mid century modern home and wanted to create a seamless transition into the nursery from the rest of the home, while still making it playful and fun for our baby boy. After many days of searching on the internet for ideas, we only found a small handful of attempted tiki nurseries. Starting from scratch, we started pulling ideas from TC and incorporated them into our room. A couple of trips to the Tiki International Marketplace and a trip to Disneyland for the 50th Anniversary of the Tiki Room, we set out to put this room together. Most of the items we gathered came from thrift stores, garage sales and curbside finds. I cleaned and refurbished all the items myself. The only box store purchase was the crib. The results are amazing and we couldn't be happier! In another 4 weeks or sooner our little boy, Rex Houston, will be introduced to wonderful world of Tiki and all the magic and wonder it has to hold.

And special thanks to Dawn Frasier for creating this amazing wall paper!

[ Edited by: TikiJaxx 2014-01-31 12:19 ]

Yea that wallpaper is killer!

Congrats on the soon-to-be-addition to the family and what a great room to bring him home to!

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Jan 31, 2014 11:37 AM

Its AWESOME I LOVE it!!!

wow!!! Can you adopt me!!???? that is incredible!!!! where did you get that killer wallpaper??? OMG love it!!! Im right clicking the hell out of your pics for reference !!!!

That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

Chris
WestADad

On 2014-01-31 11:39, Pele Paul wrote:
wow!!! Can you adopt me!!???? that is incredible!!!! where did you get that killer wallpaper??? OMG love it!!! Im right clicking the hell out of your pics for reference !!!!

The wallpaper is from Spoonflower.com. Just enter "Wallpaper: Tiki" is the search bar. Dawn and many others have quite a few patterns to choose from and Spoonflower also prints fabric. The wallpaper is really high quality and super easy to apply.

Rex Houston!!! that's a strong movie star name!!!!!! god really love your room!!! can you take a pic of the ceiling or explain what you did on it? looks like photos out of Better Homes & gardens magazine! really really superb without being too busy!!! A+++++++ well done, now I can wait to get my new house and make a tiki guest room!!!
thanks so much for sharing!!!

On 2014-01-31 11:56, Pele Paul wrote:
Rex Houston!!! that's a strong movie star name!!!!!! god really love your room!!! can you take a pic of the ceiling or explain what you did on it? looks like photos out of Better Homes & gardens magazine! really really superb without being too busy!!! A+++++++ well done, now I can wait to get my new house and make a tiki guest room!!!
thanks so much for sharing!!!

Hey Pele Paul! Thank you for the kind words!! We have an Eichler house with post and beam construction. The entire house has awesome tongue and groove redwood ceilings with an oil based white washed stain. The ceilings are original from 1960 and have never been painted. See the pic below.

Congrats on the new house! I'll be watching for pics of your tiki guest room.

Now that's Tiki!
And that is how to add Tiki decor to a kids room, I like the Mid Century influence too.

PP

Thanks so much!!! gonna have to copy that too!!! too cool!!!! now Ive gotta find some cool tiki wall paper!!!

WOW!!! What a great job...it looks very classy and baby friendly. Consider yourself an expert in nursery decor...simply fabulous. Thanks for sharing such great pictures. Yep...the paper is awesome, and the lights are cool.

Nicely done & congrats on your soon-to-be addition!

T

Awesome work- I was wondering if that was Dawn's wallpaper from the first photos- great details. Especially love the wallpaper, the TV shelf (epic), the lamps, and the cuddly parrot. Great tiki for kids... it will be a great place to softly introduce your son to the world of tiki!

Look forward to seeing Rex in his new digs.

This is very cool!!! You nailed it on this kids room design of Tiki. The mid-century pieces are great too. :D

Now that's the way to pass on the Tiki torch...
Awesome

You have a wonderful, unique sense of style! (Would you consider posting pictures of other parts of your house?)

M

Nice job guys, love the way you repurposed the old TV cabinet, later on a good place to put his tiki finds, you know it's never finished!All the best!

T

As requested, some additional pics of our homeā€¦

The dining room:

Atrium:

Backyard:

The Library:

Wow...I agree you have great style. That dining room is fabulous. Where did you get your Thai umbrellas...I want one!!!

T

On 2014-02-09 12:28, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow...I agree you have great style. That dining room is fabulous. Where did you get your Thai umbrellas...I want one!!!

I got them at a import shop in los angeles, but sadly they are now closed. They are bali temple umbrellas and all hand made.

Very nice Eichler!

TikiJaxx your house is gorgeous. Makes me want to move out to Orange. Congrats!

What a great room (and house)! Lovely way to bring in tiki from a young age. Love the stuffed macaw. :)

PP

wow, it just gets better and better!! is the book shelf in the library a vintage piece? its awesome, gotta get something like that for my study!!!

Awesome.....

T

On 2014-04-04 17:48, Pele Paul wrote:
wow, it just gets better and better!! is the book shelf in the library a vintage piece? its awesome, gotta get something like that for my study!!!

Aloha Pele Paul! The wife and I made the bookcases ourselves. We found a picture of them in a Sunset "Furniture you can Build" book from the 60's. It's made from 11x2" boards and 1 1/2" closet dowel rods. The shelves sit on small peg dowel rods drilled through the main pole. See the pic below.

PM me for more details if needed.

T

Wow!

That Rex is one lucky Tiki Baby! To be getting the incredible visual stimulus of the environment you've created is sure to get that kid's brain going early and strong! If only we could all have grown up in a similar surroundings!

Congrats, and good luck on your new family adventure!

T

Wow!

That Rex is one lucky Tiki Baby! To be getting the incredible visual stimulus of the environment you've created is sure to get that kid's brain going early and strong! If only we could all have grown up in a similar surroundings!

Congrats, and good luck on your new family adventure!

That bookcase looks like a fun project. Beautiful stuff.

• Dale

AMAZING!!!! So much to love! Gotta say, turning that old TV cabinet into a changing table? is so totally awesome! Love doing stuff like that. You said you did all the refinishing yourself? Great job! My fav pieces are the Disney pillow and that ultra-cool lamp on the little table. I have been searching for a lamp like that around here but sadly the mid-century finds are very rare in this area. Congrats on the little one! Best nursery EVER!

Pages: 1 29 replies