Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Dark and Stormy Cookies

Pages: 1 6 replies

Rum and cookies, what's not to like? The addition of ground black pepper reminds me of pfeffernüsse.
http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-public-kitchen/local-and-seasonal-dark-and-stormy-cookies.html

Dark and Stormy Cookies
These cookies are moist and chewy, and they can be used to make spectacular ice cream sandwiches. Use your favorite dark rum, or simply substitute additional lime juice, if you prefer.

Makes about 20 cookies

2¾ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 tablespoon dark rum
1½ tablespoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
1 large egg
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 lime
Granulated sugar, for rolling

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, and salt into a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, rum, ginger, egg, oil, and the zest and juice of the lime. Using a wooden spoon, stir until the mixture is well combined and has tiny air bubbles at the surface. Add the flour mixture, and stir just until there are no visible streaks of flour.

Sprinkle a handful of granulated sugar on a small plate. Shape dough into golf ball-sized balls, roll them in the sugar, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies for 13 minutes, or until their surfaces crack slightly and their edges begin to darken in color. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets. The cookies will feel soft when they come out of the oven, but they'll firm up as they cool.

Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Lori, I’m gonna make em on Friday morning and take them to my bother TikiVatos bar (Tiki Nui).The cookies sound so good-maybe they’ll help soothe the whipping he’s gonna get at our weekly card game. I’ll give you a full report on the cookies Sat. A M.
Mahalo

P

Brownies too! http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2010/09/dark-and-stormy-brownies.html

Dark and Stormy Brownies

25 grams fresh, peeled ginger, thinly sliced (approximately 2-2 1/2 inches)
3/4 cup/160 grams light brown sugar
1/2 cup/106 grams dark brown sugar
5 ounces/140 grams butter
1/2 teaspoon/3 grams fine sea salt
1 cup/85 grams King Arthur Double Dutch Dark Cocoa (I just used the cocoa I already had)
2 tablespoons Gosling Dark Rum
scant 1/2 teaspoon Boyajian lime oil (I used fresh lime zest instead and blitzed it with the sugar and ginger)
2 large eggs, cold
1/2 cup/ 75 grams AP flour

Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine the ginger and sugars in a food processor and process until smooth. Cut butter into 1/4" slices and melt in a medium sized pot over low heat. When it is almost completely melted, remove from heat and add salt, ginger sugar, and cocoa and stir with a heatproof spatula until well blended. Add the rum and lime oil and stir to blend. Add the first egg and stir until completely incorporated, the batter will become grainy and then smooth and shiny. Add the second egg and stir until completely incorporated. Add the flour all at once and stir until the flour is absorbed, then stir briskly for two minutes until the batter is supple and smooth. Pour into an eight inch square baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes until just firm. Let cool before serving.

The brownies sound better than the cookies.

On 2014-02-05 18:55, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Lori, I’m gonna make em on Friday morning and take them to my bother TikiVatos bar (Tiki Nui).The cookies sound so good-maybe they’ll help soothe the whipping he’s gonna get at our weekly card game. I’ll give you a full report on the cookies Sat. A M.
Mahalo

Dese are ono! Not the easiest to prepare and much too gooey to roll into balls. I spooned a golfball size glob on a parchment lined baking tray and sprinkled em lightly with the sugar. I ended up with some big cookies.
Mahalo Lori

I'm going to have to try and get my better half to give this recipe a try thanks for posting. May have to up the dark rum content a bit...

On 2014-02-07 20:47, SoCal Savage wrote:
I'm going to have to try and get my better half to give this recipe a try thanks for posting. May have to up the dark rum content a bit...

Hey SoCal,
That’s zackly what I’m going to do. Couldn’t taste the rum at all. A tablespoon of rum is nothing. The molasses is pretty powerful
I made a Meyer’s Rum cake for my Fern Society meeting . Recipe calls for over a cup of rum to be dribbled over the baked cake. That’s in addition to the rum that was baked in. Had those seniors jabbering like fools!
Btw, I used Coruba for the cookies
Cheers

Pages: 1 6 replies