Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Pehea Ka Kamaluhia Tiki bar build

Pages: 1 40 replies

Hi,

My hubby and I had some spare room on our deck, so decided to build a Tiki Bar! Drew some inspiration from a few I'd seen on google and pinterest, but here is the start of our 'Pehea Ka Kamaluhia' (How's the serenity) build in Sydney Australia.

We are still trying to decide whether to inset the Tiki's into the front posts, or mount them on top when the bar top goes on. What's everyone's opinion?

The tile mural I have coming as a feature on the bar top :

24"x 12" at this stage, will be surrounded by red glass tiles

Flying Martini, shaken not stirred.

looks like a great start. That mural is cool. Looking forward to seeing it finised. :D

Off to a good start. Cool name, very apt to its Australian origins. Keep em coming.

I'm always excited to see a new bar build! Welcome to tiki central.

I love the tile mosaic. Where did you find it?

Great work so far...that tile mural is going to be awesome. JMHO...I would hang on to those Tikis for now until you get the bar top laid out. They might be a better fit logistically on a back bar. Welcome to Tiki Central, looking forward to more progress.

On 2014-02-17 18:28, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I'm always excited to see a new bar build! Welcome to tiki central.

I love the tile mosaic. Where did you find it?

Hi Lori!

I found it at http://www.pacificatileart.com

They have four Tiki themed tile murals, we liked this one for the extra colour and the party atmosphere!

On 2014-02-17 19:14, VampiressRN wrote:
Great work so far...that tile mural is going to be awesome. JMHO...I would hang on to those Tikis for now until you get the bar top laid out. They might be a better fit logistically on a back bar. Welcome to Tiki Central, looking forward to more progress.

Thanks, we are pleased with the progress so far!
I'm leaning towards leaving them on the top too. So that's
where they will stay until we get the rest of the bar dressed.

See where the flow takes us.

Flying Martini,
Shaken not stirred!

On 2014-02-17 14:48, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Off to a good start. Cool name, very apt to its Australian origins. Keep em coming.

Thanks Thurston! How's Mrs Howell?

You can come have a margarita any time! :wink:

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred.
Out!

Thought I'd post a pic of our surfboard bench that Hubby made for another part of our deck last year. Artwork is done by my uber-talented Dad, AKA Thurston Howell IV!

Another great feature to tie in with the Tiki theme.

Waiting impatiently for my tile mural to arrive, last checked out at San Francisco sort facility!

Hopefully this week, most likely next week. :)

Flying Martini,
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Hi yourself - Mrs. Howell is just ginger peachy. I'll take a rain check on that Margarita.

Thanks for the link FM!

Not too much progress yet, still waiting on the tiles.

We did do a coat of oil on the posts, and a bright green on the frame. We will
Put bamboo screening over the green, so will tone it down a bit!

See how we go next week!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred
Out!

[ Edited by: Flying martini 2014-02-21 23:06 ]

PP

who is making your tile top, if I could ask?? that's way way cool!!!! I just sold my pad, so Im looking at a few clams to spend on a new tiki bar!

On 2014-02-24 08:08, Pele Paul wrote:
who is making your tile top, if I could ask?? that's way way cool!!!! I just sold my pad, so Im looking at a few clams to spend on a new tiki bar!

The tiles have arrived! Woot woot! May be able to get a start on the bar top this weekend.

Pele Paul, I found the tiles at http://www.pacificatileart.com, they have 4 tiki style tile murals available, 2 are available as accent tiles also. :) Can't wait to get them on! Looking around for a mosaic tile to put on the rest of the bar top now, were thinking red glass, but now steering toward a nice 'silver' metallic - though it is more of a pewter sort of colour. I think this might stand out better in a lighter colour. :)

Flying Martini,
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

[ Edited by: Flying martini 2014-02-27 01:25 ]

Loving that green and the tiles are spectacular. Sooooooo...you are from good Tiki stock so you got it made. Keep up the great work.

So, we decided on a basic black mosaic tile for the rest of the bar.
I think it will look good once all laid out on tie top. ?

Just have to get the final measure to get the bartop cut then were good to go!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Tiles look cool against the black. I hear you got the cane bar stools from the rockabilly couple who are also creating a tiki bar. Now everyone join in,.....It's a small world after all.......etc.

Almost forgot! Thanks Thurston! :wink:

We got these 1960's stools from a young Rockabilly couple refitting their entire house in 1950's decor. Including kitchen and bathroom. They'd bought a rattan Tiki bar, didn't have room for the four stools with it, so offloaded three to us. Their loss is our gain, I think they will work well with the bar.

I'm looking for different fifties influenced fabrics to recover chair pads. These are some I like so far.

Still trying to work out which way to go. Hubby thinks just a plain red, though he is not an artist! Lol! Would it be too 'busy' for the space?

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

[ Edited by: Flying martini 2014-03-01 02:57 ]

Good score on the bar stools. I am thinking how great some of Dawn's blue/green Tiki fabric would look next to your bar. Check out her fabrics @ http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/sophista-tiki

Looks like you are going to have a good blend of building and furnishing materials so pulling it all together with that gorgeous green color will make it flow well. Do you have shopping options for a chunk lamp...I sure think a green/blue one would be awesome...JMHO.

It is fun watching your bar build...have fun.

D
dtel posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2014 5:50 PM

On 2014-02-28 21:44, Flying martini wrote:
So, we decided on a basic black mosaic tile for the rest of the bar.

That does look nice, good choice, that size tiles in black looks great especially with that mural.

Thank you all for your lovely comments so far! I was tossing up even signing up after seeing some of the amazing bars on here! I don't think we are in the same league, just playing around with themes and ideas hoping it will all come together OK. I wish I could carve, then I could try my hand at my own Tikis and Tiki design mouldings... I will have to stick to paint, and buy some pre carved pieces instead!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Bar top laid out (not secured yet!)

It's going to be big! Bigger than I anticipated at the start. But that is good. :)

Can't wait to get the tiles fixed to it, so we can see the effect.

Will post more pics after a bit more progress.

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred
Out!

[ Edited by: Flying martini 2014-03-01 21:19 ]

Just a few more pics, of the Tiki masks I just ordered to mount on square canvasses painted red (they will be mounted on a diagonal, creating a diamond background for the Tiki's)

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

I found this fab sculpture, supposed to be 1950's, but not sure. It was a great price, so don't really mind!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Well, we have put the bar top on. Looking more like a bar now!

Tiling is done, just waiting for adhesive to dry, get some moulding around the edge then we can grout the tiles. Most likely will be in black also.

Then I can start dressing it! The Tiki masks are on the way, and trying to decide on a design to paint around the moulding.

Flying Martini, out!

D
dtel posted on Tue, Mar 11, 2014 9:48 AM

Looking good, like how it opens up into the yard which also looks nice.

On 2014-03-11 09:48, dtel wrote:
Looking good, like how it opens up into the yard which also looks nice.

Thanks! I love our little yard. Nice garden out there, very relaxing space. There are roll up cafe shade blinds along that whole section of deck, we can open up to let the garden in, or shut off completely in bad/cold weather for protection from much of the elements.

Can't wait to get it all finished now, I just want to be able to go out and relax at the bar with a margarita!

Flying Martini,
Shaken, not stirred
Out!

Lookin good

Jon

Well, we have the timber for the bar moulding. I was going to attempt to paint a design on it, but we thought we'd try doing the design with a router (thanks Tikispeer for current inspiration!)

this is the first one, not bad for a first effort on Hubby's part.

:)

Not quite sure what to do with it after, most likely staining with a darker stain, then lacquering.

Anyhow, slowly getting there. Makes it a bit harder when we both work full time, plus have a near 3 year old running us off our feet!

Got these silly, kitschy flamingo garden lights today too. Guardians of the bar! lol!

Flying Martini,
Out!

Been a while, full time work and a few weeks of bad weather slowed up progress for a bit!

We are nearly finished, Hubby finished putting the bamboo on, just have to get the Tiki masks on now, should be in next couple days.

This is the fabric on order to recover the bar stools

Now just to do some study....

Happy Tiki Easter!

Flying Martini,
Out!

Main bar is finished!

It will be getting its first workout over the long weekend.

Happy Tiki Easter.
Flying Martini,
Out!

By the eyes of the great God KU that one cool lookin' tiki bar. God bless all who wash up upon your shore. Have fun breaking it in over the weekend.

THIV

Finishing touches done. Just waiting on the fabric now to recover the stools

Flying Martini,
Out!

[ Edited by: Flying martini 2014-04-22 01:08 ]

That really turned out Sweet! Love the look. You did a great job.

• Dale

Made a few more additions to the bar. It's a definite space of its own now. Always on the lookout for more decorator pieces though!

Bamboo at the top of the wall is a nice touch. Also digging the net and rope.

• Dale
M

Well done! It has a very clean look to it. I like the colors you picked.

Looking good. I love the fishing net and rope. Its becoming its own little world.

Nice work....it is certainly looking great. I like the ceiling decor too.

I really like those bar stools! You're off to a great start.

On 2014-07-16 10:32, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I really like those bar stools! You're off to a great start.

Aren't they great Lori? 1960's found them eBay $50 for the three. From an amazing young Rockabilly couple who didn't have room for all four stools they purchased with a matching bar. Their loss is our gain!

Flying Martini

Pages: 1 40 replies