Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ugliest Vintage Tiki Mugs??

Pages: 1 22 replies

K

I love the vintage stuff. 90% of my collection is of the old stuff. But there were some that were pretty darn ugly. My vote for number one is .

And... I just picked one up on eBay. It's ugliness is a part of its charm. Hawaiian Village had some great ones, but this one was definitely the Redheaded Stepchild. And I dig it!

Post some uglies!

Cant wait to see what develops here, there are some really ugly mugs :lol:

S

I know the mug is not vintage but the image it's based on is. This would have to be one the most hideous mugs out there. I have no idea why i bought one when i was there as the Mr. Bali Hai mug should have been enough of a souvenir.

S

Can't find an image. Hawaiian Inn Daytona had a mug made off the Leilani, but the guy took a label maker and stamped out the words and stuck it over the base and molded from that. WORST mold evar and awful, just so awful that it is classic to me... So awful no one has ever posted a picture of it apparently...

Swanky: So ugly I had to buy it. Actually, it's a great example of a knockoff mug, with the reduced size and loss of detail.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-24 08:38 ]

All of the variations of the Trader Vic's Waikiki mug.

U

Trader vic mug...very ugly but very cool also

FM

That Trader Vic one gets my vote. Yuck!

FM

Kahaka, I really like the one you put up. Kind of reminds me of Gumby.

TT

Trader Vic's Honolulu Octopus mug. Polynesian Pottery made some beauties! The fact it is like 28oz and huge makes it even better. Not to mention the mole/wart/booger in the right nostril

[ Edited by: Tiki Toli 2014-03-24 18:49 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Toli 2014-03-24 18:49 ]

I like em all

Swizzle I have to agree with you. Even though I have the goof, he pisses me off and I don't like him on top of the Bali Hai either.

I used to be very annoyed by Tiki Bob mugs...but Wendy has help me deal with that issue, with her many Bob transformations.

T

I've got to add Steve Crane's Clown faced abomination of a Ku mug to the list.

I saw one of these at a Goodwill years ago before I knew who Crane was for two bucks and passed on it because it's hideous. I'd pick it up now just for the history though.

aloha, tikicoma

Aloha,

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. The Trader Vic's Waikiki mugs are the most beautiful and wonderful mugs. So primitive and fantastic DESIGNS. I love them more than ANY OTHERS and will take them off your hands if you don't want them.

I'll agree that that first mug has one ugly mug, this one should be on the list somewhere-tho maybe not tiki in the first place?

K

I concur, tikicoma. I've never been a fan of that Ronald McDonald Ku!!

Those Trader Vic's guys are ugly, but I also really dig them. Great glazes on those guys!

T

So sad...

It's a Hoffman! Wow that is a weird find. Makers of the famous Kahiki mugs.

DC

I've always thought that the Kahlua Hut mug was an odd one.

DC

History and charm certainly, but the Stockton Islander and Kelbo's Smilin' Tiki mugs were crazy ugly.

Based on an existing carving, though!:

I always called him the Alfred E. Neuman Tiki

On 2014-11-18 16:19, tikigreg wrote:
So sad...

So sad what truly horrifying pain jobs can do to otherwise wonderful tiki mugs.

Norwegian Cruise Line Tiki

Pages: 1 22 replies