Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The "Official" Kahiki Book Thread

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

Sven approved!! :)

U
umeone posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2014 1:48 PM

Jeff,
What was the reason for the cancellation of the Historical Kahiki Dinner?

Lack of pre-sale tickets!

Weird because the dinner last year "sold out" in 2 days!!

U
umeone posted on Tue, Oct 7, 2014 1:14 PM

Sorry to hear that. Tickets were obviously quite expensive per person even for a good cause, but we were hoping that your book sales would benefit from the gala.

Speaking of book sales, the first pressing of the Kahiki book has officially sold out!!

They are doing a 2nd pressing now!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Loving the book so far. Got a little ways to go.

Ordered a signed copy off ebay, anxiously awaiting its arrival!

DC

Finished today, what a wonderful read! Great history mixed with great stories. Wish I had been able to go.

Cocktail Nation 330 Kahiki Supper Club -A Polynesian Paradise In Columbus part 1

This week we have Jeff Chenault on the show as part one of our interview about his latest book Kahiki Supper Club -A Polynesian Paradise In Columbus, we take a look at a tiki artist who has gone rogue and has been employing gorilla tactics to get the tiki word out, there has been a car auction of famous movie star and music star cars recently plus the best lounge and exotica along with the best parties from across the globe.

http://www.cocktailnation.podbean.com

Alika Lyman Kaimana

Bobby Fox Shopping for clothes

Arthur Lyman Yellow Bird

Stolen Idols Sophisticated Savage

Steve Lawrence Night And Day

Barbara Levy Daniels Where Or When

Billy May Cocktails For Two

Diana Krall Stop This World

James Morrison I Fall In Love To Easy

101 Strings Orchestra A Man And A Woman

Glen Grey Fly Me To The Moon

Stan Getz Misty

Cocktail Nation 331 Kahiki Supper Club -A Polynesian Paradise In Columbus part 2

This week we have part two of our interview with Jeff Chenault on the show as part one of our interview about his latest book Kahiki Supper Club -A Polynesian Paradise In Columbus, I have some essential tips for your bachelor pad and we look at the life of the woman they called the flying housewife

http://www.cocktailnation.podbean.com

Anna Saleh -Caravan

Bill Evans -Time Remembered

Martin Denny -Jungle Flower

Tikiyaki Orchestra- Exotique

Stolen Idols -Sumatra Mist

HB Radke -Martinis and Pearls

Marita Brake- Shaken Not Stirred

Mancini- Windmills Of Your Mind

Frank Sinatra -That’s Life

James Morrison -The Shadow Of Your Smile

Perry Beekman -This Can’t Be Love

Cynthia Felton - I Wish You Love

A recent book signing with all four authors!! :)

T

You so funny John!

It's the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic.
One of you needs to find a new pose. (hint not you)
Not a TCer so....

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Oct 22, 2018 8:29 PM

I'm very excited to have finally added this to the tiki section of my bookshelf. I'm also glad I decided on the hardcover version.

T

I did not know there was a hardcover version.

And what happened to that girl that was going to write a Kahiki book about the same time as yours Jeff?

Not Greg and Melissa, Her name was Nathile not Nathalie it's like saying Nathalie with a lisp that's how I remember her name.

I met her at that dentist tiki party with mostly FOM members at it.

When asking about the Kahiki she would say " I'm the one who really is going to write a book about the Kahiki" Ha! I guess that did not pan out.

At the time there were about 7 people doing a book about the Kahiki.

I would like to see a book of the early Kahiki drinks put out, a few people have them all.

Heck nobody is going to open a tiki bar and use those drinks at least not the people who have them.

Damn write a book about it and get them out there, way more chance of you doing that than opening a tiki bar.

Damn don't just let them fade away and disappear as we all fade away and disappear.

Someone get me all of those old Kahiki recipes and I'll put one together. Jeff Berry hit the sweet spot in his books with the mix of recipes and history, so that's the approach I'd take. If it ain't broke...

On 2018-10-23 05:35, tikiskip wrote:
I did not know there was a hardcover version.

I didn't either. History Press doesn't normally do hardcovers. I poked around and discovered this is the "Library Edition." Must be a limited run.

I've never seen a hardcover!! I didn't know it existed and I'm one of the authors!!!! Nice score. Where in the hell did you find it???

Yeah, a Kahiki recipe book would be nice but I don't know anyone with all the food and drink recipes.

Look for the Ohio Tiki book next year!! :)

Mahalo,
Jeff

Yep!! Hardcovers are available on Amazon!! :)

On 2018-10-23 13:03, Jeff Central wrote:
I've never seen a hardcover!! I didn't know it existed and I'm one of the authors!!!!

I know, right? HP isn't the greatest when it comes to communication. :wink:

(Edit:) Holy crap! It looks like my book may have a hardcover library edition as well!

~Jayme

Lagoon of Mystery
http://www.JaymeBlaschke.com

[ Edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-10-23 14:08 ]

Man oh man, this forum is BAD for my book buying habits. LOL

Oh, well. I'm sure I can find shelf space SOMEWHERE.

T

"a Kahiki recipe book would be nice but I don't know anyone with all the food and drink recipes."

Linda, Craig, Soung, Theang, Sondro just to name a few.

Is Sandro still alive??? He must be 100 years old!!!!!

B

On 2014-07-15 10:40, Jeff Central wrote:
We have a cover.................

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Beautiful! Looking forward to the release

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Oct 24, 2018 9:52 PM

On 2018-10-24 16:16, BusyPort wrote:
Beautiful! Looking forward to the release

Good news; it’s been out for some time!

I got mine from thriftbooks, where as of today both hardcover and paperback versions are cheaper than Amazon (with free shipping for $10 orders).

T

On 2018-10-24 13:10, Jeff Central wrote:
Is Sandro still alive??? He must be 100 years old!!!!!

Well I have not heard of his death.
Maybe yes or no, I could find no obituary online.

Kay Oliver looked very well when we saw her at that hills market event.
I bet she has them.
Not to mention Skip or even Jim, I got the Navy grog recipe from him.
Jim said "it fell off of the wall where they had it tacked and I took it home and copied it so it would not get lost"
What about the Tasos you know they have them, Mitch Boych He had to have them so does his brother now have them.
Lee Henrys family?

I got that Navy Grog recipe from three different people and get this they all gave me the same one so I think it's right.
Did promise the second person to give it to me that I would not give it to anyone so I have not, but I won't let it die with me it will be in my personal cookbook when I die.

For a long time Kay was the only person that would make the Navy grog and they had to go to the pharmacist to get an ingredient.

I bet there are at least 12 or more people alive that have all of those drink recipes.
Thing is are they the fist families property or the second owners (the guy from Youngstown) or are the Tasos or maybe none of the above owns them.

Did all that go with the many sales of the Kahiki? or is that all so old it does not apply.
When I sold my restaurant the recipes all went with the place but we made no specifics on if I owned them or he owned them.

Heck I could have opened up next door and sold the same stuff only better because I don't pinch every dime and buy cheep crap.

Yeah, somebody could pursue a Kahiki recipe book if they really wanted to. I'm done with Kahiki history.

Heck, the Kahiki book has some recipes in it!!

I've got other fish to fry!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 2 75 replies