Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The "Official" Kahiki Book Thread

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

I am proud to announce that I am one of four authors that will be releasing a book on the history of the Kahiki Supper Club. As most of you on Tiki Central know, the Kahiki was one of the grandest Polynesian restaurants in the world. We have uncovered a ton of information and interviewed a LOT of people for this book. The authors are David Myers, Elise Myers, Doug Motz and Jeff Chenault (me).

It is being published by History Press and will be available in October 2014.

Information on how and where to purchase the book will announced soon!

There will also be various events leading up to and after its publication.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Congrats, Jeff!

Can't wait!

Jack

That's great news, Jeff! I, among other things, will be looking for cocktail recipes from the Kahiki. Your book will be a great way to help preserve the memories of the Kahiki.

On 2014-03-27 12:30, AceExplorer wrote:
That's great news, Jeff! I, among other things, will be looking for cocktail recipes from the Kahiki. Your book will be a great way to help preserve the memories of the Kahiki.

We are going to include 5 drink recipes and 5 food recipes!! :)

T

Excellent, Jeff... a most worthy endeavor! Really looking forward to getting a copy of the finished work. Now, if we can just put Swanky on a writer's sabbatical so he can finish his volume on the Mai-Kai...

-Tom

TT

This is great news, put me down for a copy and the release party that will be at the grass kirt, that I know you are going to have!

On 2014-03-28 07:39, Tiki Toli wrote:
This is great news, put me down for a copy and the release party that will be at the grass kirt, that I know you are going to have!

How'd ya guess!! :wink:

T

Looking forward to it Jeff!

Great news, Jeff! Can't wait!

Go Jeff Go! I'm looking forward to the proper documentation this one-of-a-kind Temple of Tiki deserves!

Here's a picture of Bill Sapp and Lee Henry, I took just a few months ago.

They were very happy to talk to us about the Kahiki's early days and are very enthusiastic about the book.

They still like a good cocktail once in awhile too! :wink:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That's great Jeff. I know you have always had a real passion in preserving the history of the Kahiki. I'm so sorry that I just missed seeing this grand temple in person. Now, and least I can see what all I missed out on in your new book.

We have a cover.................

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Looks great! I live that there are so many books about tiki topics coming out.

Looking forward to this one!

Wow...that is great Jeff. Looking forward to it.

T

What a great time we had Jeff!
In going through the Kahiki thread I saw the many adventures we went on in search of Kahiki.
Running around with you Greg and Melissa even Wentiki got in on a Kahiki run to Bob Karsts house.
That's what it's all about to me, meeting and talking with the older and more I'll say civil people of a time gone by.
This time and era are not for me I'm finding more and more.
What I would give to go back to that time of civil people.

Good luck on your book!
And I will be sure to buy my book from you so as you
can make your cut by making the sale.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-07-19 08:25 ]

Thanks for the kind words John!

You were a BIG help and the journeys we had over the years constituted a large part of my Kahiki knowledge. Many interviews, conversations and memories my friend!

Thanks for your support!

Now we need to hit the Windward again like the good ole' days!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Now available for pre-order directly from me, signed, with extras and FREE shipping in the US!!!

Doesn't get much better than that folks!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351163463402?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2014-09-04 12:25 ]

T

Hey Jeff just got your book from you and signed!
Thank you!!!
Living a stones throw from where Jeff works helps.

After a quick skim I have already found out lots of Kahiki lore I never knew.
BUT damn it was Mitch I the mob or not!
Great to see a Bruce Nutt mention in the book as he is a Columbus icon himself.

Good luck on sales as this is a great book by a great guy, Jeff that is don't know
the others.
Bag that ebay sales stuff and just sell here on TC or under your coat like a new York
pick pocket sells watches on the street and save the fees.

I can get you one from Jeff for $40.00 or just get one directly from Jeff for lots less than that.
Who knows how many of these they will make, plus Jeff lives a fast life and may die on some roller coaster
any day now so get him to sign one for you now before it's too late.

Congrats Jeff!

Could we get a few sneek peek pics?
Will this be for sale in any book stores in Ca.
Like wacko by tiki ti,
Or maybe at Oceanic Arts?
Or maybe somebody could sell them at Dons
At the Tiki Market place.

Congrats,
Can't wait to get one,
Jeff btd

Thanks for the kind words skip!! Glad you like it!! You were a BIG help and I stand by my statemnet that you are thee #1 Kahiki fan!!

Everytime we asked Bill about Mitch being in the mob he would reply "we won't talk about that." So there's your answer!!

Jeff, the best way to purcahse this book right now is on Amazon at..........

http://www.amazon.com/Kahiki-Supper-Club-Polynesian-Landmarks/dp/1626195943

You can also order it directly from History Press at............

https://www.historypress.net/search.php?s=kahiki

Eventually it might make it to various Tiki locations but right now this is the way to go! I'll try to post a few "sneak peek" photos for you!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Preview it HERE

Cool, thanks Tim!!! :)

History Press would make a perfect publisher for The Mai Kai book!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

The news show Good Day Columbus just had Doug Motz on making drinks
from the book.(Channel 4 - 9/13/20014)
It may be posted on line soon but is not up yet far as I can tell.

The show was ok.

Who is Doug Motz?
He's like the home town hero nobody has heard of.

EJ

On 2014-09-13 06:48, tikiskip wrote:
Who is Doug Motz?
He's like the home town hero nobody has heard of.

Here is some of his work.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/author/doug-motz

T

A quote from that article.

"When the Clarmont closed, Ohio Supreme Court Justice Yvette McGee Brown told the Columbus Dispatch that she would start her workday at the Clarmont two or three times a week from about 1993 to 2010. “It was kind of like Cheers: Everybody knew your name.”

AND that's how most of the old places in Columbus are like the Kahiki, Windward Passage, Clarmont and
Jai Lai to name a few.
My mother would take us to all of them and we knew the workers, owners and regulars.
The point was Never saw Doug at these spots, he's like the after the fact regular.
I did see Jeff at the Kahiki last night party and got to know him after that day.

Watch when the Windward goes out he will talk about how great it was.

If all these fans go to these places instead of the new hot spots BEFORE they go out,
maybe they won't go out.

I'll be at the Windward with Shawn or BJ, Or maybe the Top with sonya Modes.
Do a story on them BEFORE they go out.

U

John and Jeff,

The reason my father always replies "we won't talk about that" is because people try to sensationalize a story that they can add to. We hope that people want to read the real story, not innuendos or someones perception. The recently released book "Kahiki Supper Club is information and details gathered from from dad and Lee. The book is excellent reading and was very well written.

Mitch was a good friend of my father and Lee and was not related to the mob in any way but rather, Mitch made his fortune in mining and was highly respected by his family, friends and business associates. It has not been mentioned before, but Mitch, once a Kahiki owner, died on the same day the Kahiki took it's last breath.

Well the mob question was kind of a joke really.
I ask everybody I meet who is from Youngstown Ohio if they were in the mob as
a joke, the fact is out of many people asked I have only found one who did not have a story
about someone they knew from Youngstown that was Mob related.
Youngstown is was very well known for having lots o mob types that is just a fact.
So It's not a stretch, and Mitch was in the coal and lime biz plus rubbed elbows with political
type folks and his brother is/was the head of a union.

So mob ties would be out of the question in light of all this.

The Kahiki story is a great one, with or without the mob.

In 1963, The Saturday Evening Post dubbed the area "Crimetown U.S.A.," noting: "Officials hobnob openly with criminals. Arrests of racketeers are rare, convictions rarer still and tough sentences almost unheard of."
http://youngstownpride.blogspot.com/2004/12/city-that-fell-in-love-with-mob.html

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-09-13 12:47 ]

U

This is exactly what I'm referring to. Mitch was not from Youngstown. He was from Stuebenville.

On 2014-09-13 11:28, umeone wrote:
John and Jeff,

The reason my father always replies "we won't talk about that" is because people try to sensationalize a story that they can add to.

You need to remember that the whole question of the mob and Mitch was not given birth by Jeff and I.
That has been talked about long before us and people ask and tell me about it, Is it true, not true,
At this point who knows.
I was told Mitch had dealings or was from Youngstown.
"we won't talk about that" Is not Mitch had no ties, It's not yes he did as well.
But it kind of piques peoples interest because it sounds like there's something there I don't want to talk about.
It's ok not to talk about it, but even a blind man can see that people are going to go hummm.

So if someone said Jeff had ties to the mob I would go NO way, not true.

I no way was I trying to say Bill or lee had dealings with the mob.

BUT for Mr Taso to come to America at like 20 years old with $100.00 bucks and own the Kahiki was it at 26?
One would doubt he had one million bucks by that time, but then there was Mitch.
That's odd to me and many others, there's more to that story.

It's good that there is now a book and Tiki Central so the history can come out and be known.
So many places there is no info on, too bad really.

U

I'm not certain why you want to banter back and forth about a very well respected and generous man that you never knew or met who helped people his entire life including Lee Henry, Bill Sapp and Michael Tsao financially. Dad respected Mitch for his generosity to himself and Lee as well as Michael Tsao.

As you stated about asking people from Youngstown if they are in the mob, my dad would rather tell people "we are not going to talk about that" rather than calling that person a buffoon.

If people would take time to google Mitch Boich, they would find out just how much he was respected for his generosity. Please stop with the innuendos and let him and his name rest in peace.

And let this thread get back to Jeff's book.

T

Ok Linda will do.
A bit harsh when you think of things I have done for you and Bill plus your daughter
over the years.

U

John, its been a two way street.I have stated previously that Mitch Boich was not associated with the mob. He helped Michael Tsao purchase the Kahiki because Mitch didn't want to be in the restaurant business, which is mentioned in Jeff's book.

If you feel you have to insert drama or mystery into a Kahiki story, we are suggesting that you have facts to back up your story in order to not slander a person's reputation and integrity.

just ordered my copy !! i hope to give it "two thumbs up !!"

On 2014-09-14 19:54, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

:wink:

Thanks Tipsy!!!

On 2014-09-14 19:54, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

lol!!!

On 2014-09-11 06:21, Jeff Central wrote:

Jeff, the best way to purcahse this book right now is on Amazon at..........

http://www.amazon.com/Kahiki-Supper-Club-Polynesian-Landmarks/dp/1626195943

You can also order it directly from History Press at............

https://www.historypress.net/search.php?s=kahiki

Eventually it might make it to various Tiki locations but right now this is the way to go! I'll try to post a few "sneak peek" photos for you!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Gotcha, thanks Jeff

T

Here's a link for the next Kahiki Dinner Party put on by the Ohio Historical Society!

http://www.columbushistory.org/node/52

Just got a nice write up in the Columbus Dispatch!!!

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2014/09/16/authors-carry-tiki-torch-for-kahiki.html

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Got my copy yesterday. Way more here than I expected. I rarely read, so, this may gather dust for a long time, but I will start reading sections for sure.

Glad there si a section of color images too.

Thanks Tim!!

The publisher would be a perfect match for your Mai Kai book!! Hit them up!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Just got my book today...will be gawking it at it this weekend...WHEEEEEE!!!

Ours arrived today. I wish there was a book for every tiki palace. Wendy

Started this today! Super excited.

T

Hey, I made it into the book(pg 66)! Who knew?!

Pages: 1 2 75 replies