Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Interview with the head decorator of Trader Sam's

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

Here's a fun article with the Head Decorator at Trader Sam's, Brandon Kleyla: http://www.endorexpress.net/special-features/trader-sam’s-enchanted-tiki-bar/

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-09 09:17 ]

Ha! Brandon made it into one big Disney commercial, referencing all Disney this and that, and just a brief, vague mention of the real LA. Tiki bars. The Disney fans will eat it up! :)

S

Thanks for sharing this!

A

What!? No references to "Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N."?

This is a really interesting article, thanks for sharing

Thanks for the article. There is so much more to say about Trader Sam's. It is really special in many more ways. Starting with the beautiful doors carved by Leroy Schmaltz to the tasty Tiki drinks served in really decent mugs. Yeah its Disney but they dont miss much and it is soooo much fun.
I have met some of the best people there too.

I agree. I just think it's sad that in the interview there is no true reference to real Tiki culture, and the fact that it is those concepts that really informed Trader Sam's. Just one example: Diorama windows were used in Tiki bars before Disneyland ever existed. Instead it all revolves around Disney history (which, yes, certainly played its part) as if existing in a self-contained little universe.

On 2014-05-09 07:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
I agree. I just think it's sad that in the interview there is no true reference to real Tiki culture, and the fact that it is those concepts that really informed Trader Sam's. Just one example: Diorama windows were used in Tiki bars before Disneyland ever existed. Instead it all revolves around Disney history (which, yes, certainly played its part) as if existing in a self-contained little universe.

Particularly valid when one considers that Walt was inspired by the Tiki Room at the Royal Hawaiian in Anaheim, as discussed here Walt and the Tiki Room

DC

DC, don't bother people with all that HISTORY! :)

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/cliftons-brookdale-cafeteria/

"….Clifton’s over-the-top interiors also had influential admirers. “Welton Beckett, who designed the original Brookdale, was best friends with Walt Disney,” says Meieran. “Several people who knew him said that Disney went to Clifton’s and was inspired by the design. There had already been fantasy architecture, but Clifton’s took it to a new level.” Disneyland, the pinnacle of fantasy environments, wouldn’t open for another two decades."

Dustycajun, Big Bro and many, many others, thank you for the history lessons! I, for one, really enjoy them.

K
kkocka posted on Fri, May 9, 2014 9:04 AM

On 2014-05-09 07:11, bigbrotiki wrote:

You're talking about a Disneyland-themed tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel here. Of course it revolves around Disney history! You'll see a little homage to other tiki bars, like on the mug shelf you'll see various mugs from other joints like Tiki Bob, the Goof/Bali Hai, etc.

lol Sven, the article was for a website called "Endor Express", your source for all things Star Tours, so I don't blame Brandon for referencing all Disney this and that :wink: Not the most ideal place for a Tiki history lesson. I think the mention of visiting good LA Tiki bars for Trader Sam's inspiration was a great plug that should motivate noobs to venture out if anything, out of curiosity.

On 2014-05-09 08:37, tikilongbeach wrote:
Dustycajun, Big Bro and many, many others, thank you for the history lessons! I, for one, really enjoy them.

Agreed!

I'm interested to see what they have in store for the Grog Grotto... The concept art seems to spell out that we're getting an audio animatronic squid arm!

Any idea if Tiki Farm is on board for the mugs?

K

*On 2014-05-13 06:52, EPCOTExplorer wrote:*Any idea if Tiki Farm is on board for the mugs?

I think it goes w/o saying that they'll continue the relationship with Disney.

Pages: 1 14 replies