Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

velvet falernum, where is it?

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

K

On 2004-03-01 18:26, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
when I go to the ti after their vacation, I will find out the name of the "real" stuff they use.

Please let us know here on the board. I'd be curious to see whether the "old stuff" is a syrup or a rum based spirit. I assume it is a syrup.

Cheers!

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu on 2005-05-26 14:15 ]

H

Maybe there was a follow up to this in another thread, but I haven't found it. So I'm bumping this up.

Has it been determined what kind of Falernum is used at the Tiki Ti? Syrup or alcohol based?

Additionally, as far as syrups go, can anyone comment on how Da Vinci compares to Fee Bros.?

Thanks!

I'm a new member here and just saw this thread (thanks for the bump Hakalugi), and I am also dying to know. I found the whole discussion most interesting and I love how everyone is so passionate about historic authenticity. A very informative debate!

KK

I still have a bit of the Sazerac brand stuff left. Yes, it is a syrup w/out alchohol and it was made in the U.S.

That's funny, mine (Sazerac's "The Genuine" Falernum) lists the ingredients as: "specially compounded spices, flavors, can sugar, citric acid and ALCOHOL 5%".
Of course, the Velvet Falernum is 11% alcohol or so it says, and for my money every bit as tasty.
Oh, and you can buy it every day except Sunday here in Atlanta, which is (to me) the MOST noticeable difference between it and Sazerac's.
I said MOST- not only, Pablus.
And yes, I still have a bottle with your name on it...

[ Edited by: Kava King on 2004-08-29 07:03 ]

P

You're my new best friend.
I'll make a few bottles of my own Falernum and bring them to Hukilau.

Looking forward to seeing you again.
You know... with or without the Sazeracs.

We'll have our own taste test. I'll get some of the Fee Bros. and some of the DaVinci and bring some Taylors too.
And the "pablus" brand.

T
thejab posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2004 8:17 PM

On 2004-08-29 07:00, Kava King wrote:

I still have a bit of the Sazerac brand stuff left. Yes, it is a syrup w/out alchohol and it was made in the U.S.

That's funny, mine (Sazerac's "The Genuine" Falernum) lists the ingredients as: "specially compounded spices, flavors, can sugar, citric acid and ALCOHOL 5%".

I stand corrected. My bottle has the same ingredients. I must not have read the label.

In a taste test of straight Sazerac brand vs. Velvet I prefer the Velvet, mainly because of it's subtle lime flavor, and it's thinner consistency. But either would make a fine drink. Not that this is very relevant since Sazerac brand is discontinued.

Falernum(all types) is intriguing to me. Not available in Canada though.
Do you think I would be able to find any in Florida when I'm there for Hukilau? I'd like to bring back some to play around with.

Sorry Tikiwahine, I live in Ft Lauderdale, and I have yet to find any, even in nice, upscale, specialty liquor stores. I saw on this thread that it can be ordered through liquorama.net, but I have yet to order any. I would be interested to try some, as I have never had a drink made with it. Maybe I can make friends with Pablus, seeing that we are both Floridians and all and he can tell me how to make it.

Thanks for the reply Ragin' Rarotongan!

Good luck with your hunt too, some day we will find success!

P

EVERYBODY is my friend.
Except for Flounder.

Liquorama doesn't sell it anymore... or they're out or something. Looks like they're focusing on wines a lot more.

I just got some of the Davinci and the John Taylors from

http://www.hitimewine.net

and the Fee bros. from

http://www.surfasonline.com

I'll be bringing them to Hukilau for a taste test against the Sazeracs and my own brand.

See you there.

Just found Taylor's Velvet falernum liqueur ($14.99) at the new Bevmo store in Laguna Niguel.
aloha.

T

OK, so my uhusband saw a cooking show with a special on Barbados and learned about Falernum. He's very excited to try some, and now I must find it... IN CANADA. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this post will probably garner nothing but silence interespersed with cricket chirps, but anyone know where to get this stuff in the great white north?

Tikifish, I found a place here in Vancouver, not that convenient for you but I think they do ship.
Here's the link to the post with the info:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16225&forum=10&0
You might try some of the Caribbean food markets/stores in the Toronto area first. If you need help sending some your way just let me know!

Arrr, Pepe, that be a fyne idea! I never id think of the Caarrrrribbean store idea. Those fyne merchants are nearbye in Kensington Market, I will take my spyeglass for a walk and see what I can plunder!

rrrrrrrrr!

T

We decided to order a case through the LCBO* - its the only way to get it! But they dont do special orders for less thana case... thats a lotta falernum!

*Liquor Control Board of Ontario

Hail great gods and goddesses of tiki! I wrote my most recent Martini Republic column, and how could I not think of you?

Stop by, won't you? http://www.martinirepublic.com/item/barbados-in-a-bottle/

Cheers and hugs to all my tiki pals!
--Doc.

K

Damn, thanks Doc!

Great article and excellent research!

Ahu

Thanks, Ahu! Having the respect of my rummy peers makes me Berry Berry happy. Speaking of the Bum, he will be in The Land Beyond the Mountains (the valley) tomorrow for an appointment with his Doctor at Casa de Cocktail. I don't think I'll be giving too much away when I say I've uncovered some outrageously cool tiki history for his next book, and so has he! You heard it here first. --Doc.

Now THAT'S news to drink to!

A few posts back (and 9 years ago!), Dr. Cocktail (Ted Haigh) has a link to his June 12, 2006 column on falernum ("Barbados in a Bottle"), posted on Martini Republic. I thought his piece was an important contribution to sorting out the "falernum controversy". Unfortunately, Martini Republic has gone away - and taken Dr. Cocktail's article with it.
Here is a link, where the article was re-posted:
Barbados in a Bottle

Pages: 1 2 68 replies