Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Please help Identify! Is this Witco?

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies

On 2014-06-21 17:01, FlashbackMemphis wrote:
So, is this Witco?

Doesn't look anything like Witco.

It's not a great picture, but I can see how it could be thought to be Witco. It has that rough chainsaw/routered walnut-stained cedar look.

It appears to be a Spanish/Castilian influenced piece
it was a very popular look in the 70s, Not Witco at all
but a similar process to produce the aesthetic.

So...These sure look like Witco to me. At first I thought tiki masks, but now I'm thinking it could be the Drama Masks of Comedy and Tragedy.

Anyone know for sure? Is this Witco?

Definitely the Drama mask set, but unsure if they are Witco
I need to find an old Witco catalog.

Hey Sven or Bosko! what do you think?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-10-01 15:49 ]

The curves at the top don’t seem to fit the Witco style although the grain certainly looks like Witco (to my untrained eye) but what do I Know. Let’s see others have to say.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-10-01 20:59 ]

Agreed. The grain is totally reminiscent of Witco. The curve at the top reminds me of the Witco cats. It's too bad there's nothing marked on the back.

T

Is there a "I know it's not Witco, but this is close and I want to know who made it" thread?

If not, who made this?

Buzzy Out!

Made by a G.I. stationed in Stuttgart, Germany?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Barracks

Could not find a "Scheffel" in here, though:

http://www.military.com/Groups/ListMembersForUnRegUser/1,11216,71919|S,00.html

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-10-28 11:43 ]

Anyone know if this king and queen are legit? They stand about 29" tall.

Yep Witco

Just want to buy this and make a quick buck.
So what it worth?

The guy told me it was once in the first Trader Vic's, and then Don the Beachcomber.

Good one, Skip! :D

T

So I missed April fools by one month.

BUT, this thread is what I thought of when I saw this totem pole.

T

That totem would be a great addition at my next potlatch!

T

OK, I went through all 96 pages of Show Me Your Witco, 336 pages of Tiki Modern and the Aside from Witco, who made Witco-like stuff? threads to find out if this guy is Witco with no luck.

It looks familiar but I can't say where I've seen it. The grain is deeper than it looks in the photo and it's light for its size.
Well is it Witco?

UT

It looks like it has all of the Witco attributes to me but I may be mistaken. Nice find.

T

If it is Witco I would say it's one of their best tiki designs
they have ever done.
If it's not Witco I would say it's better that any Witco I have ever seen.

Nice one!!

TT

I've never seen that before. However the face and feet look very much Witco and are found in other Witco pieces.

It is Witco. I have one of those guys. I will post a pic later. I agree it's a great design; they didn't do the Hawaiian style tikis that often

Here's mine

T

Thanks Happy Buddha, thanks everyone.

I say Witco this must be!

T

Here's one I ran into a few months ago, the shade isn't original and it's to big for my tiki lounge. I saw no marks but I think it's Witco and I think I saw one similar in some book. :wink:

Any thoughts?

It looks like someone took a small Witco fountain
and made it into a lamp.

APT, the lady who has it told me she bought it in Hawaii in the 60's. It was a lamp but the original shade had fallen apart, can tobacco smoke cause paper to disintegrate?

T

Is this Witco?

Sorry for the lousy pictures I was still shopping.

It can cause your lungs to disintegrate, so maybe? That lamp is def Witco; not a fountain, but prob made to hold flowers or plastic grapes or whatever in his hands. Might have had a little bowl? The lamps are hard to come by; I say slap a leopard skin shade on it & squeeze it in!

tikisgirl, even if it is Witco, it's still a giant cow head.

On 2015-05-15 23:14, tikicoma wrote:
APT, the lady who has it told me she bought it in Hawaii in the 60's. It was a lamp but the original shade had fallen apart, can tobacco smoke cause paper to disintegrate?

On second look, maybe ATPs right. Is there a hole punched in its mouth?

S

Can someone please tell me if these are Witco or not? I bought them yesterday at an antique store with the sole intention of re-selling them at an exorbitantly high cost. :lol:

All jokes aside, i did buy these yesterday and would like to know if they are Witco or not. Although i will admit i don't 'love' these pieces, finding something even Witcoesque is a big thrill for me as the chances of finding something back in Australia i'd say is buckley's and none, so therefore i snapped them up at what i think was a reasonable price. Two of my friends back home have already offered to take them off my hands if i decide i don't want to keep them, so at least i'll get my money back.

There are no markings on either of them and the hooks on the back show a little bit of corrosion indicating they are oldish. I get the feeling they aren't real Witco but i'd just like to know for certain.

(With flash and without).

Cheers
swizzle

Never seen these before, but judging by the grain, and the simple way the eyes/nose/mouth are cut, I would say Witco, yes.

I'm with bigbro, but can you post a pic of the hangers on the back?

S

Thanks bigbrotiki and happy buddha. And i can't for another month or so happy buddha. I have mailed these back home to Australia. The hangers on the back looked a little tarnished but that is all i can say at the moment. I'll post some pics when i see them again when i get back home.

That's cool. If they are little triangle hangers it's a good bet they're Witco.

S

They actually are little triangle hangers happy buddah, so it's sounds like i have the real deal then.

Real or no? I bought em anyway.

The tiki is definitely Witco and the sword is most likely yes... Nice finds !!

[ Edited by: tikilease 2015-08-26 11:05 ]

On 2015-06-19 11:20, swizzle wrote:
Can someone please tell me if these are Witco or not? I bought them yesterday at an antique store with the sole intention of re-selling them at an exorbitantly high cost. :lol:

All jokes aside, i did buy these yesterday and would like to know if they are Witco or not. Although i will admit i don't 'love' these pieces, finding something even Witcoesque is a big thrill for me as the chances of finding something back in Australia i'd say is buckley's and none, so therefore i snapped them up at what i think was a reasonable price. Two of my friends back home have already offered to take them off my hands if i decide i don't want to keep them, so at least i'll get my money back.

There are no markings on either of them and the hooks on the back show a little bit of corrosion indicating they are oldish. I get the feeling they aren't real Witco but i'd just like to know for certain.

Cheers
swizzle

Nah, dem ain’t Witco, leave em in L A Robbie
David and CeCe

On 2015-08-26 10:55, tikilease wrote:
The tiki is definitely Witco and the sword is most likely yes... Nice finds !!

[ Edited by: tikilease 2015-08-26 11:05 ]

Cool. I found them in the corner of a junk shop in Springfield, MO today. They were buried behind a bunch of furniture and I could just barely see the tops of each piece sticking out. Asked the guy what he wanted for em as nothing in there was priced. He said make me an offer. I said I really have no idea, shoot me a number. He said 25 bucks. I said sold.

I picked this small stool up today for $20. My gut feeling said Witco for sure but I would like some other opinions on it. I'm almost positive the white vinyl seat is an old replacement. I plan to keep it either way. After a treatment with Howard's it will join the rest of the Witco family.

I saw a set like that before, I do believe it is Witco
and you are right about the replaced cushion.

T

I picked up these two pieces last night from the same person. I know the ship is Witco but the other I haven't seen before. I searched the other Witco forums but couldn't find one, Maybe I missed it? The back of it is hand printed T-50.

The urn piece looks crude even by Witco standards to me. I believe the frame is not Witco for sure in my view. Hopefully someone can give you a bit more info the I can. Love the ship though.

The Owl and the Pussycat, Witco? Found at the local thrift store.

DC

I don't think so Dusty, I have seen many of those cats around, but none were Witco
but that doesn't mean Witco did not make any cat visages.

SO, a little clarification on flipping please. Would you consider it buying only with an intent to instantly sell for more $$, buying and then selling later on (day-month-3 years...) for whatever reason at the original price or a highly marked up price? There are many items on Ooga that are more than original price. And as for solutions, Munktiki sometimes has a buy one only policy on their limited items. Do other sites/bars? Anyway I really only wanted to know what y'all consider "flipping."

S

To me personally, flipping is buying something with the intent to sell it at a marked up price, regardless of time frame, although more so straight away, especially with new items. The Tiki Ti cobra mug by Tiki Diablo is the best and most recent example. The original cost of that particular mug is $75 and yet because the first few that went online (within days of it being released) sold for around the $200 mark, now everybody who is selling that mug online is asking about the same price.
There is a particular member of this site, who i won't name, that if you go through his post history, the only time he posts on this forum is to sell you something at an inflated price because he has access to it when many others don't so he takes advantage of that and 'says' he's doing it for the members here when all he's really doing is trying to make money for himself.
Buying something and putting $20-30 on top of the cost price and postage costs to cover your time running around and shipping it out is one thing, but asking double the asking price (and more a lot of the time) is just plain greed.
Munktiki still have their one per person policy but that still doesn't stop people from reselling the mug at a much higher cost just because they were fortunate enough to be able to snap that mug up before a 'true' collector had the chance and then exploit that fact for their own benefit.

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies