Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Please help Identify! Is this Witco?

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies

K

It's called "Tea Pot" #t-50 and that looks to be the original frame Witco used for this piece. Although not your common Witco frame.

On 2015-10-05 11:20, TikiVato wrote:
I picked up these two pieces last night from the same person. I know the ship is Witco but the other I haven't seen before. I searched the other Witco forums but couldn't find one, Maybe I missed it? The back of it is hand printed T-50.

Not something I'd ever care to own but spotted this on CL with the description "VINTAGE solid wood sculpture, 4 FOOT WIDE, for a man cave bar, etc. very cool, has 6 candlestick holders, has a king in the middle and horses on the side like the marlboro emblem, LOL"

Sure looks Witco to me. Why couldn't this clueless idiot have a piece I actually want?!

On 2015-10-07 20:27, Dustycajun wrote:
The Owl and the Pussycat, Witco? Found at the local thrift store.

DC

I found this seal a while back that could be a good companion to that cat on the right.

8T

Well, I wouldn't say they're an idiot. But I get your point. It is nice to find something you love for a sweet price when the seller doesn't know as much as you "the informed buyer".

I once was lost.....but now I'm found.....

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2016-02-05 06:46 ]

This just popped up on craigslist. Anyone know anything about it?
http://eugene.craigslist.org/hsh/5687210916.html

Looks right to my eye. Classic Witco frame. Carving and paint all look right. Nice piece and a great price in my opinion but I'm not an expert.

Colors don't look right to be Wtco. Anyone?

Buzzy Out!

The carving looks pretty crappy, too, even for Witco standards. I would not bother.

I have repeatedly stated that just because something is Witco, it does not mean it must be good. If it is not Tiki or modernist Witco, most of it is uninteresting. These King and Queen wall carvings are one of those standard items that have been up on e-bay countless times:

They might have been a good seller back then, but not all that has been made in the mid-century is gold. Bill Westenhaver would be the first to agree.

But you know that, Buzzy. If you are just asking for resale reasons, and the stuff is dirt cheap and you can make a profit - fine :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-09-07 23:07 ]

T

Its painted and looks like an amateur copy but.. is it Witco or just "after" the Polynesian Fishing God?
Beside a Witco at Chef Shangri-la for reference.

I'd say it was a Witco that's been painted with house paint. A good paint stripper will get that off, and often the wood is perfectly preserved underneath

T

These popped up and were gone just as quick on offer up today. I looked around google and saw a couple more that were in other parts of the country. They look to be "after Witco" to me but... "is this Witco?"

Yep Witco. It's called the Hexagon bar. But it's missing the little tikis that go all around the front. Looks like maybe they had them inside the bar?

8T

Recent find. What do the experts say on this one?

T

Has anyone seen this one, or know what it is called?

Wilson-
Never seen that one before.
Sideways it looks like a key,
I can’t see the hanging bracket.
are you sure doesn’t go up and down?
Then it might look like a bird

Edit;
Just noticed your picture posted sideways (due to the door knob.)
So it’s obviously meant to be up and down
Sorry

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-08-05 06:42 ]

On the bench, I’ve never seen that style, but the wood looks right. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t Witco. Cushion has been replaced, obviously.

That bird is a really old piece, from Witco’s very first catalog page. Image is from Sven.

T

Thank you for the replies! Sorry the pics were sideways,I didn’t know how to fix it.
Thank you so much for the catalog picture as well. I really like the bird and it seems even more special now knowing it’s one of the older pieces!

[ Edited by: tikijackalope 2018-09-19 03:42 ]

(Deleted html of duplicate message)

[ Edited by: tikijackalope 2018-09-19 03:43 ]

A pleasant face purchased from one of the ohana at the recent Denver Modernism Show - Witco or no? It looks like it might have been part of something. A lamp, maybe?

Yep they used those faces as legs for stools. Not sure if they used them on a lamp tho.

Thought this was a cool old piece..
Any of you experts out there know if it is a Witco piece? It's about 2 feet long..
Mahalo's

Yup Witco

B

On 2018-10-21 06:02, happy buddha wrote:
Yup Witco

Mahalo's Buddha!!

While posting screenshots of The Panama Cafe and Grille in Locating Tiki (used as a location in an episode of "Starsky and Hutch") I noticed in another scene what I thought was a Witco Shark. I posted a pic half joking asking if it was a Witco shark.... Well, I did a bit of a search and couldn't find anything in Tiki Central about a Witco shark. Did Witco ever make a shark?

Screen capture below:

howlinowl

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Feb 16, 2020 5:41 PM

Say, I see that Pleasant Tiki offers a Witco authentication service:

https://www.pleasanttiki.com/official-witco-decor-authentication-service

I don’t know how your eyes went to the bg in that scene, but that shark’s not Witco. Looks more like the Woodcarver maybe?

S
Samu posted on Sat, Mar 23, 2024 12:29 PM

IMG_6253

This came with a witco bar I found at an estate sale. It’s been painted gold among other atrocities. Has anyone ever seen a deity like this? Is it a witco?

[ Edited by Samu on 2024-03-24 11:54:53 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies