Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Has anyone tried Sorghum Rum, made from Sorghum Molasses

Pages: 1 2 replies

Sweet Sorghum is a grain/grass grown throughout the South & Midwest that is pressed & boiled into a sweet syrup often called Sorghum Molasses that was a staple of Southern cooking up until the 1950s. Several craft distillers have recently rediscovered this old American ingredient and begun using it to make small batch Sorghum "Rum" (There's some disagreement as to whether a distillate made from a non-Sugar Cane grass is still rum):

Some of these are aged in old Bourbon barrels, some in new wood, and some seem to be raw white spirits.

I was going to try to get some Cousins to pick me up either some Sorgrhum or Harvest Rum and was wondering if anyone had tasted any and could give an opinion before I sent distant relatives running.

A

I've never had this, but would be very interested in what it tastes like. I did have some sorghum type whiskey in China when I was there several years ago. I seem to recall it being basic fire water.

Count me as another who would strongly argue against this being called rum. Sorghum is a grain, like corn, barley, rice, wheat, etc. Rum is pretty specifically made from molasses or sugar cane juice.

Sweet Sorghum has the stems of the plant crushed like Sugar Cane, and the resultant sweet juice is filtered, boiled, and reduced to a syrup, much like molasses, and that syrup is then pitched, fermented, and distilled, so this liquor is more like a rum than a grain-based whiskey.

Pages: 1 2 replies