Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Home Tiki Bar Build Out - Spider Island Lounge

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

Voodoo approves. :)

First batch of Tiki ceiling and door trim is done. The staining is the worst part. Trying to wipe out all of those crevices sucks.

Working with bamboo sucks, but I finally got all the corner posts and half the chair rails installed. T-Minus 12 days until this Tiki Lounge is done. I mounted the 3-inch bamboo half rounds onto 1x2-inch beams that are screwed directly into the studs. I had to dremel out the knuckle dividers inside the bamboo, which was pretty miserable. I used yellow trim screws to mount the bamboo. I wish I could have countersunk them, but I didn't want to risk splitting the bamboo, so the screws will be visible. :(

Its really coming together and looking good. I agree with you about bamboo being difficult to work with. In 12 days it will have all been worth it. Keep sending us pictures.

BTW, the 12 days is just a deadline set by me to feel some sort of pressure to finish this thing. What's taking forever is carving and staining the tribal trim. By the time I get back from work it's dark out and I don't want to run the grinder at night outdoors for obvious reasons. So that has to wait until the weekend.

The good news is that the final 30 or so modutile floor tiles are arriving today. Once the floor is done, I can move the furniture out of the garage and into the Tiki Room and just work on the trim around it.

I also have to paint the rest of the exposed white walls brown and find out why two of my outlets aren't working.

Fun times.

Eight hours of solid sweat equity and I'm calling it a day. Seven more days until go time and we are almost there. Only thing left to do is carve out the door header boards, stain the unstained trim, stain the doors, finish a tiny few pieces of bamboo, cut down the closet doors by an inch, lahaula the stair case, paint the poles brown, install the two final tiles and finish the bar. This will happen.

This wall is ready for a giant Squindo Tiki painting. Electric projection screen will drop down in front of it.

Framed out all the trim without staining it just to get it out of the way and clean up the last of the sawdust.

Those poles will look so much better brown. Or perhaps tied up with rope. Hmmm.

Waiting to finish the left side trim. Not sure if the closet door will open with the bamboo chair rail and baseboard in place. All outlets are now 100% operational.

The bar is going to be the final piece of the puzzle.

Time is up; we're moving in. Hardcore construction is officially done. Moved the furniture in and started staining the bar. All that's left is about a weeks worth of trim and touch up work. The end is near.

Finished up almost all the trim. Just need to knock out the door headers

Furniture works perfectly. The best part is that the bamboo is light enough to easily move.

The bar is halfway there. I need to keep staining the top and poly and I need to finish the foot rest and stain that too.

I was going to paint the staircase area brown, but I had leftover lauhala, so I added it to the wall. Will need more trim for that.

Looking GREAT!!

H

Nice job. Keep posting progression pictures for us.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have been drowning in work these past few months. Phase 1 of our Tiki Lounge is done. Here are some updated images.

Front of bar with four coats of poly

Back of bar with built-in subwoofer

T

liabungalo wrote:
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have been drowning in work these past few months. Phase 1 of our Tiki Lounge is done. Here are some updated images.

ZOWIE that is NICE!!! (-:

Sweet! Is that Leopard print fabric on the bar between the bac bac? How much fun is that?!? :)

Yes, I ordered a few yards of it from ebay for like $10 and then glued it on. Worked out great.

On 2015-06-23 08:48, KonaKaiBaby wrote:
Sweet! Is that Leopard print fabric on the bar between the bac bac? How much fun is that?!? :)

Nice. I love it. What a great touch. Really adds to the atmosphere.

Wow...I love that couch and chairs...very nice!!!

W

I like your entrance to the bar, I'm sure you have other bar upgrades planned, shelving, etc.. Look forward to Phase II!

Thanks guys.

The buildout is completely done and I'm slowly starting to decorate the room. Here are some updated photos:

The view coming down the stairs. This is where I mounted the half dozen Tiki bar signs I received from friends and family.

Cat on a chair guards an old school Flounder Harvey's painting.

Mounted a medium-size puffer fish in one corner.

View from the staircase as you enter the room.

Scored a fabulous vintage bamboo side table and lamp from Edge Modern in Clifton, NJ

I'll try to take some final photos this week as well as some detail shots. Thanks everyone for following this chaotic two year journey.

Your hard work has paid off. It looks great. I had a question about the name Spider Island Lounge; where did that come from? Are you a big fan of the movie, "The Horrors of Spider Island" or do you just have a lot of spiders in your basement? :)

Both. Our basement was teeming with spiders and we are obsessed with the Horrors of Spider Island, particularly the MST3K parody episode.

Right on. I love MST3K. I preferred the early Joel episodes, but Spider Island is a classic. :)

Oh I do miss Joel. Those were the golden days of MST3K! :)

Pages: 1 2 68 replies