Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

pierre ferrand dry curacao

Pages: 1 8 replies

I sprung $30 for a bottle of this very elegant orange liqueur, reminds me of Cointreau (a triple sec).

here's the prob-- in a MaiTai, where it seems to be the curacao star of the day, it disappears. At 1:7 parts (at best), its nuanced and subtle flavors disappear, like tears in the rain (heh).

So, i'm not seeing a point in buying this for mai-tai's. (with one exception-- it IS 80 proof...).

It's the only brand I use; mainly b/c it beats the hell out of Bols & Dekuyper, the only other 2 brands available in my area.

I have yet to be thrilled with the Standard curacaos amd am ready to up the game with either the Ferrans or with Senor Curacao now that it finally showing up regularly on Total Wine shelves. They both run @30 and I'm not going to shell out for both bottles. Will probay go with tbe Senor Curacao but would love to hear a comparative report from anybody who has tried both brands.

On 2014-08-31 17:16, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I have yet to be thrilled with the Standard curacaos amd am ready to up the game with either the Ferrans or with Senor Curacao now that it finally showing up regularly on Total Wine shelves. They both run @30 and I'm not going to shell out for both bottles. Will probay go with tbe Senor Curacao but would love to hear a comparative report from anybody who has tried both brands.

Here you go. Okole maluna!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23301&forum=10&vpost=670592

Kevin

D

I use several different curacaos in my Mai Tais, depending on what's handy. I find Pierre Ferrand, Senior, Marie Brizard, and Grand Marnier all work well. With only 1/2 oz, I don't find a significant difference from one to another. Clement Creole Shrub is another good option. Just don't use any bottom-shelf stuff. Low quality orange liqueur messes up a cocktail faster than almost anything.

There are approximately 25 ounces in a 750ml bottle. That means a bottle of curacao will make 50 Mai Tais. Why quibble over a price difference that works out to something like 30 cents a drink? Buy the good stuff.

On 2014-09-01 06:41, heylownine wrote:

On 2014-08-31 17:16, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Here you go. Okole maluna!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23301&forum=10&vpost=670592

Kevin

Mahalo Kevin. Not sure how I managed to miss this the first time around but it seems like I'll have to get around to trying both brands in due time.

A

Theporpoise, it's interesting you think the Pierre Ferraud Dry Curaçao is a bit weak, it goes against general opinion - nothing wrong with that. It's been on my 'to buy list' for a while (one or the other with Clement Orange Shrub which I found a bit heavily spiced).

I find Cointreau & Grand Marnier a bit heavy so cut them back a bit in a Mai Tai - maybe mix one of them 50:50 with Pierre Ferraud & use that?

O

I, as well, find this a very powerful curaçao.

That said, I also find it the best for a Mai Tai made with Denizen Merchant Reserve Rum.

Also use 1 oz Lime Juice and 1/4 oz each of sugar syrup & orgeat.

This is our current House Champion!

I've only used Pierre Ferrand or Creole Shrub for Mai Tais, and I agree that the Pierre Ferrand can 'disappear' into the drink. I just made one using 3/4 lime, 1:1 Demerara sugar, Monin orgeat, creole shrub, V/X, clement, and I tasted the orange for the first time in a while (I usually use Pierre Ferrand in that combo). I made another with Pierre Ferrand and denizen 8, and the rum really stood out. This surprised me because up until now I thought denizen really disappeared into the drink. Since I usually use the same ratios for each Mai Tai, my assumption will be that the lime makes or breaks the drink, and that is what drowns out all the other flavors.

Pages: 1 8 replies