Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Vintage Frights! William Castle Film Festival-Los Angeles every Friday in September

Pages: 1 3 replies

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibitions/events/2014/09/let-there-be-fright.html

Event Information
Every Friday, September 5 - 26
Bing Theater
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles

TICKETS
$5 general admission
$3 Academy members and students with a valid ID.

The Academy pays a centennial tribute to one of the most popular and prolific filmmakers in fantastic cinema: William Castle. Castle had already directed more than three dozen features – chiefly film noirs and westerns – when a viewing of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s 1955 French thriller Diabolique inspired him to try his hand at the genre. The resulting film was 1958’s Macabre, a small-town mystery. To help build audience interest in his low-budget, no-star picture, Castle had the brainstorm of offering a $1,000 Lloyd’s of London insurance payment to any audience member who died of fright while watching his chiller.

The success of Macabre led to a new career for Castle as a producer-director of horror films sold with inventive gimmicks such as “Emergo,” a skeleton that flew over audiences watching the Vincent Price spookfest House on Haunted Hill; “Illusion-O,” special glasses that allowed patrons to see all 13 Ghosts in their full gory glory; and “Percepto,” buzzers under theater seats that startled moviegoers in the grip of The Tingler, Castle’s signature film.

Castle also became a self-styled Alfred Hitchcock of horror, appearing as himself on-screen to introduce his films – or in the case of Mr. Sardonicus in 1961, to ask the audience to choose an ending for the picture – and set up their gimmicks with mordant delight. (A brief cameo in Rosemary’s Baby, a film that he produced, is worthy of Hitch.)

Prepare to be thrilled and chilled by such stars as Vincent Price, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor, Margaret Hamilton and Richard Conte in the Academy’s series of eight Castle classics, including a rare screenings of his 1951 Tinseltown whodunit Hollywood Story and 1964's surrealist, suspenseful The Night Walker. Plus, for every screening we’ll have ghoulish giveaways and frightful freebies!

This looks amazing. I wish it was every Saturday, then I might be able to make it...

I'm getting all tingly thinking about it!

I love the William Castle movies, you folks in LA are so lucky. "I saw what you did and I know who you are!"

Pages: 1 3 replies