Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Toasted Coconut Rum?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I can't find Coruba or Cruzan coconut where I am, so I've opted to make my own coconut rum. After I finished putting it up however, I realized I had a significant amount of coconut leftover, enough to make another batch if I so wanted. I absolutely adore the aroma of toasted coconut, so I was thinking of making a toasted coconut rum. Has anyone ever made/heard of such a thing? Was it good, or does toasting coconut cause it to release toxic fumes and unpalatable flavors when combined with rum?

[ Edited by: PalmtreePat 2014-10-08 12:10 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central Pat. I think you'll find most of the people around here use straight rum and add Coco Lopez or Coco Goya to the drink so they can better control the flavors. But if you like Coconut Rum then I think Toased Coconut Rum would be even better. I say try a small batch and see what happens

Interesting. Is there a specific ratio of the 2 that is used as a substitute in drinks that call for coconut rum like the Leilani Volcano and whatnot?

From a tikiyaki post:

Leilani Volcano

3 ounces Guava nectar
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1/4 ounce rock candy syrup
2 1/2 ounces coconut rum (Cruzan or Malibu)

Put in shaker with cushed ice, shake it up...serve in your favorite Tiki Mug

I would say sub a good white rum & 1/4 oz Coconut syrup (I prefer Monin brand)

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-10-08 17:21 ]

KD

The Koloa Coconut Rum from Hawaii is also probably hard to find, but I'd highly recommend it.

I'm going to try the combination of coconut syrup and rum suggested, but I've also decided to take a stab at making toasted coconut rum. I can already tell that the color won't really be anything to boast about, but once it's in a mixed drink I don't it will be a problem.

Pages: 1 5 replies