Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hamilton 151 Demerara?

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

Just saw this on Facebook...

J

Rum is supposedly produced and blended by Demerara Distillers (El Dorado), and bottled in the US.

Link to bottling pictures at Caribbean Spirits:

http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/labeldetails.php?id=67

Very Exciting!!

TT

If this is from the mind and taste buds of Ed Hamilton, I'm excited!

J

Posted by Ed at Ministry of Rum:

Nothing has been bottled yet, but here's a mock up of the bottle, cap and closure. If this was the first bottle it would already be open.
Not to avoid the question of age, this is a blend of aged Demerara rums. I can't give you an average age as I didn't do all of the blending, but the youngest rum is more than 18 months and the oldest is less than 5 years.

Looking forward to seeing this hit the market. Trying to find a good 151 Demerara has been something of a challenge for me.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully it fills the gap left by LH 151, and sales support further production.

RG

Bottling has been completed. There some distribution details here.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-01-14 18:19 ]

T
tjans posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2015 5:30 AM

I'm about to pick up a few bottles from my local joint today. I have a friend who got me into rum, so I'm only about a year into this whole thing. He introduced me to lemon hart, but I've only had it in very small quantities as a float on a mai tai. Since I've not been able to get it here in the states, I've been using Goslings 151 as a sub, but I'm told there's no substitute. Now that Hamilton's 151 is around, I'm curious as to what the differences between LH and this new one might be...unfortunately I have nothing really to compare it to.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be delicious and will help enhance any cocktail that calls for a Dem 151...

T
tjans posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2015 6:16 AM

NVM, found this post from Ed:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48581&forum=10&start=15#733470

While this I didn't try to match the flavor profile exactly to that of the latest batch of Lemon Hart 151, I consider this to be a better substitute for Lemon Hart 151, a view that has been shared by a few people who run tiki bars.

This is a blend of aged, up to five years, pot and column still rum from DDL, the distillers of Lemon Hart and all of the El Dorado rums we know and love. I tried scores of samples from other distillers and couldn't find the smoky tobacco flavors found in Demerara rums.

The Mai-Kai is officially on board with both Hamilton Demerara Overproof 151 and Demerara 86.

151 Swizzle, Jan. 24, 2015, featuring Hamilton Demerara Overproof 151.

On your next visit, check out ...

151 proof

• 151 Swizzle (strong)
  • Jet Pilot (strong)
  • Shrunken Skull (strong)
  • Zombie (strong)

80 proof

• Bora Bora (strong)
  • K.O. Cooler (strong)
  • Oh So Deadly (mild)
  • Sidewinder’s Fang (strong)
  • S.O.S. (mild)
  • Special Planters Punch (strong)
  • Yeoman’s Grog (strong)

Tonight, I sampled all the 151 drinks and can heartily endorse the new rum. Mahalo, Ed Hamilton!

The official blog of The Hukilau

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-01-24 22:28 ]

RG

I'm jealous, I didn't have the time to taste all of these with the Hamilton Demerara rums only the Jet Pilot and a sip of the 151 Swizzle. Maybe I should have started with the drinks that use the 86 proof Demerara, which are going to be slightly stronger than those previously made with 80 proofs rums.

Note that since posting the above list, I've learned that the 151 rum appears in two of the drinks listed as containing 80/86 proof. Look for updated reviews and recipes coming soon.

The new labels are up on the website. Has anyone seen them on the shelves?

http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/page.php?typ=91

FYI, The Mai-Kai is still well-stocked and hopefully will remain so. I'll be updating the cocktail guide soon with several updated recipes.

Just got this from Ed Hamilton:

Miami is getting some of the new stock any day now. The new batch is officially out in distribution.

K
kkocka posted on Mon, Apr 6, 2015 1:02 PM

Edit: n/m

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-04-06 19:20 ]

J

On 2015-04-06 11:51, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Just got this from Ed Hamilton:

Miami is getting some of the new stock any day now. The new batch is officially out in distribution.

Anyone know where in Miami?

-J.

Florida distributors of Hamilton rums are:

BMC Fine Spirits
50 NE Dixie Highway Suite A-6
Stuart, Florida
Phone: 772-405-6988

Vinecraft
5972 NE Fourth Ave
Miami, Florida
Phone: 786 401-6489

J

i have just been informed that Hamilton 151 has arrived at my favorite South Carolina store. I'll give the name and location after I grab a couple bottles for myself this weekend. :wink:

On 2015-05-14 16:04, JenTiki wrote:
i have just been informed that Hamilton 151 has arrived at my favorite South Carolina store. I'll give the name and location after I grab a couple bottles for myself this weekend. :wink:

Rather selfish of you

J

Not selfish, just practical. I'm the one who got the store to order it, so I want to make sure I get my couple of bottles before the rest of you hooligans clean them out.

Hamilton 151 was readily available on the shelf at Astor Wines in NYC yesterday.

M

If you are in Atlanta, they had some at Decatur Package.

I also had my friend Patrick who owns, Atlantic Wines in Buckhead, order me up a couple bottles of it, along with the Hamilton 86.

D

The Hamilton 151 is excellent, good enough to sip at that proof which is crazy

The standard is fine, however the 151 is where it is at

Sometime I will try the Hamilton next to the old yellow LH 151 and the "new" LH 151 since i have some of each left

"Ed Hamilton’s Essential Rums" Imbibe Magazine No. 55: May/Jun 2015

http://imbibemagazine.com/ed-hamiltons-essential-rums/

I haven't had the pleasure of ever having tried LH151 (Damn hard to find on the east coast, impossible in Baltimore). But I am fortunate enough to have found someone who is willing to ship Hamiltons 151 to me, and it is glorious. You can smell that sweet, dark aroma as soon as you open the bottle. Has changed my Zombie (original Don the Beachcomber version) for the better for sure! Looking forward to using it as my "go to" 151.

M

Try it in a Kapu Kai. So simple yet its really good.

1.5oz Hamilton 151
0.75oz Lime
0.75oz Rich Syrup

Just bought a bottle at Astor Wines in NYC.

J

Southern Spirits in Ft. Mill, SC has both the Hamilton 86 and 151 in stock. If you go, let Keith, the spirits buyer, know I sent you. He's really great and is getting a lot of top shelf rums in the store. If there's something you want that he doesn't have, let him know and he'll do what he can to get it for you. Also get on their mailing list.

Southern Spirits
9989 Charlotte Hwy, Fort Mill, SC 29707
http://www.southernspirits.com

Used it in a Hell In The Pacific over the weekend. Was amazing.

J

I just found both the 86 & 151 at my local Crown Liquors (in Coral Gables, FL) along with a St. Lucian pot still about which I have not heard anything.

St Lucian is good.

Enjoy your find!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-06-30 19:30 ]

F

I know I have posted this info in another thread of similar topic... For those that are in the Austin area the Twin Liquors at 5716 Burnet Rd has both the 151, and the Pot Still Black.

J

On 2015-06-30 19:18, lunavideogames wrote:
St Lucian is good.

Enjoy your find!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-06-30 19:30 ]

How should I use it?

I'm impressed by this stuff. I just prepared the cocktail "Hell in the Pacific" from Intoxicated. It's a simple drink where the only rum called for is a 151 Demerara. It's perfect!

Trader Sam's at Disneyland now stocking Hamilton's behind the bar. To replace Goslings.

On 2015-08-29 22:26, finky099 wrote:
Trader Sam's at Disneyland now stocking Hamilton's behind the bar. To replace Goslings.

Wow, great news! The Murky Mojito is now safe to order again.

K

On 2015-08-30 09:03, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Wow, great news! The Murky Mojito is now safe to order again.

I didn't think it was bad w/the Goslings at all, but yes it is great to see Hamilton behind the bar - all credit to Kelly I am certain. There's also Rhum Neisson too!

Does anyone know if there's a liquor store or supplier in Southern California where this rum can be purchased by the bottle?

On 2015-10-08 14:58, Astro Zombie wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a liquor store or supplier in Southern California where this rum can be purchased by the bottle?

Yes.

Your secret underground lair? Or perhaps another nefarious local?

Hi Times Wine & Liquor in Costa Mesa

H

Beverage Warehouse in Marina del Rey carries it too.

Wally's carries it but their deals aren't the best.

L

Vendome Liquor in Toluca Lake.

I almost called Vendome before posting this, but now I know more good liquor places. Mahalo everyone!

K

I'll throw out Mission Wine & Spirits, too, which have locations in Pasadena (the best location), Glendale, and North Hollywood.

I still have a few cocktails left to update, but The Atomic Grog's guide to Hamilton 151 and Hamilton 86 at The Mai-Kai is nearly complete. Reviews, recipes and lots of info:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#demerara_drinks

Also, check out the Guyanese Zombie featuring both Hamilton 86 and 151:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/10/19/the-week-in-tiki-oct-5-18-2015-tiki-mondays-with-miller-2015-finale-hulaween-at-the-mai-kai-worlds-best-bars-honored/#cocktail

Pages: 1 2 74 replies