Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hamilton 151 Demerara?

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

After scouring the DFW metroplex (for those uninitiated, it's the entire area between and including Dallas and Fort Worth in the ginormous state of Texas, north side), I finally found a shop that carries Hamilton consistently. Pogo's Wine and Spirits - http://www.pogoswine.com

Pogo's doesn't have all their rums on the website, and after canvassing at least 40 different liquor stores locally, I can definitely state they carry brands that NOBODY has. And the prices are all reasonable.

Cody is their buyer, and he knows his stuff, we had a really long conversation about the agricole production method. He promised me that if I bought all his stock of Hamilton he would be restocked in about two weeks. (I only bought two 151's, two regulsr and one black strap). I was nervous leaving the others on the shelf, but after talking to him he's basically the rum guy in North Texas, which is why he has stuff that nobody else in the Metroplex has.

I had scored some Lemon Hart randomly at some other shops (never to be found again) and wiped Spec's Plano location out of Hamilton. All requests that I made to reorder the Hamilton went unheeded. I was advised "it wasn't likely". I'm from Houston, I love Spec's, but Pogo's just leaped to my number one stop for rum from here on out.

[ Edited by: the_devils_tool 2015-10-20 21:24 ]

On 2015-08-30 09:03, Loki-Tiki wrote:

On 2015-08-29 22:26, finky099 wrote:
Trader Sam's at Disneyland now stocking Hamilton's behind the bar. To replace Goslings.

Wow, great news! The Murky Mojito is now safe to order again.

Update: They're still making the Murky with Goslings :(

K

On 2015-10-24 20:06, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Update: They're still making the Murky with Goslings :(

Chalk it up to availability and stock. There's also the chance that you'll have to ask for it on request - I think it might be that it's not officially on the approved list of liquor or something just yet. Since they've been carrying it I've always made sure to ask for Hamilton by name.

Anyone know where to buy Ed's rum online that will ship to Louisiana?

On 2015-10-28 20:28, rockydog101 wrote:

Any number of place can ship, but nobody will ship liquor to Louisiana, as the state restricts it to beer and wine only.

K

Heads up, Loki, there's mountains of Hamilton 151 at Trader Sam's right now. I'm enjoying it in my Murky. Still asked for it by request too.

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-10-30 13:20 ]

L

On 2015-10-30 13:06, kkocka wrote:
Heads up, Loki, there's mountains of Hamilton 151 at Trader Sam's right now. I'm enjoying it in my Murky. Still asked for it by request too.

Yep, I was there Monday and enjoyed a couple, per your suggestion (thank you!), requested Hamilton...ahhhhhhhhh!

On 2015-10-29 10:42, Loki-Tiki wrote:

Any number of place can ship, but nobody will ship liquor to Louisiana, as the state restricts it to beer and wine only.

Not at all true. I buy from DrinkUpNY all the time

H

On 2015-11-01 20:53, rockydog101 wrote:

Just because they shipped spirits to Louisiana doesn't mean it's legal! In fact, it sounds like even beer is not allowed to be shipped to Louisiana from out of state. Here's one "roundup" of the different states allowances, (However, it may be outdated).
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004/alcohol-policy.htm
You should probably check with your state government to find out the latest. Maybe it's time for a road trip...

On 2015-11-01 22:31, Hakalugi wrote:

Just because they shipped spirits to Louisiana doesn't mean it's legal! In fact, it sounds like even beer is not allowed to be shipped to Louisiana from out of state. Here's one "roundup" of the different states allowances, (However, it may be outdated).
You should probably check with your state government to find out the latest. Maybe it's time for a road trip...

Your link is a decade old :)

I buy beer all the time from out of state and have it shipped to Louisiana. I am member of multiple "beer of the month clubs." Most California online stores will sell beer and wine but not spirits to Louisiana. Not sure why y'all have a hard on for trying to disprove the ability for Lousiiana to receive shipments of spirits and beer, but y'all are incorrect!

H

On 2015-11-02 08:29, rockydog101 wrote:

On 2015-11-01 22:31, Hakalugi wrote:

Your link is a decade old :)

I buy beer all the time from out of state and have it shipped to Louisiana. I am member of multiple "beer of the month clubs." Most California online stores will sell beer and wine but not spirits to Louisiana. Not sure why y'all have a hard on for trying to disprove the ability for Lousiiana to receive shipments of spirits and beer, but y'all are incorrect!

Current page from Louisiana Alcohol and Tobacco Control:
http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/AlcoholFAQs.php

States the following on their FAQ...

Q: Can I order alcoholic beverages over the internet?

A: Persons 21 years of age and older may order wine over the internet from certain approved suppliers. No other alcoholic beverages may be ordered over the internet.

I'll reiterate. Just because an online business has shipped you booze other than wine, doesn't mean they did so legally. Nobody has said you haven't received such things, just trying to help you figure out why so few will ship. If there are legal exceptions, I suggest you find out what they are from the Louisiana Alcohol and Tobacco Control. Here's their page: http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/

Let me muddy the waters a bit more.
From here: http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/direct-shipment-of-alcohol-state-statutes.aspx

*Direct Shipment of Alcoholic Beverages to Consumers State Statutes

NCSL Contact
Heather Morton, Denver, 303-364-7700
Alcoholic Beverages
Last updated: July 12, 2013

The majority of states have statutory provisions that allow for out-of-state manufacturers to ship alcoholic beverages directly to consumers. The majority of states restrict the direct shipments to wine.

Out of the 54 states, territories and commonwealths, four states—Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Utah—specifically prohibit the direct shipment of alcoholic beverages to consumers. Mississippi, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not have statutes that specify that direct shipments are allowed. Massachusetts and Pennsylvania have had statutes ruled unconstitutional by state courts in those states.

Delaware and South Dakota have statutory provisions that require orders to be processed and shipped through licensed wholesalers. Arizona, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina have statutory provisions that allow wine to be shipped into the state when purchased by the customer on-site at the winery. Rhode Island allows intoxicating beverages to be shipped when purchased on-site.*

Then further down it shows the text of the laws from the states. However, in the text for Louisiana, it refers only to "wine" and not "spirits." So it's kinda strange.

Use this link to go directly to the Louisiana section:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/direct-shipment-of-alcohol-state-statutes.aspx#LA

There, I'm sure that fixes everything. :)

I just re-read my last post, and I should have concluded with the statement that "it appears" that Louisiana is one of the states which restricts shipments to just wine --- distilled spirits are not mentioned.

So that vagueness may leave it up to interpretation and debate. Is it necessary to have specific language in Louisiana state law which specifically says it's ok to buy on the internet and receive distilled spirits?

Conclusion? Wine seems ok, but distilled spirits are not mentioned.

J

Since Hi-Time has the following restriction (this is from their website), I'll bet it's the same across the country:

Note that they specify "every legal state"

J

Okay, I don't know how legal this is, based on previous findings. However, here is an online store that apparently will ship Hamilton 151 to Louisiana. I went as far as I could in the checkout process without actually putting in my credit card info using an address in New Orleans and didn't run into any errors. Good luck.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Hamilton_151_Overproof_Demerara_Rum_78361.html

Nice posts, Jen. The Hamilton's must go through!

J

Then you're probably aware that DrinkUpNY is now selling Hamilton.
http://www.drinkupny.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hamilton&Submit=

On 2015-11-09 07:26, JenTiki wrote:
Then you're probably aware that DrinkUpNY is now selling Hamilton.
http://www.drinkupny.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hamilton&Submit=

Does anyone else hear angels singing? :drink:

Twin Cities Hamilton Sightings:

Hamilton rums (including 151) are available at South Lyndale Liquors in Minneapolis, and Chicone's Liquor Mart in Hudson, WI.

ALSO--Psycho Suzi's upstairs lounge Forbidden Cove has a selection of Hamilton Rums available, and they'll sub it in your drink for minimal charge. (Plus, you can enjoy the sweet sounds of Exotic-a-Go-Go while you sip your Hamilton-enhanced Mai Tai)

Hi Times in California got a small shipment in yesterday (have a bottle on the way!).

F

On 2016-05-12 05:05, arcadiandj wrote:
Hi Times in California got a small shipment in yesterday (have a bottle on the way!).

Was just at Hi Times today and there's still a few bottles of the 151 on the shelf (possibly more elsewhere, but I didn't ask.) On sale, too! Lots of the standard demerara and Jamaican pot still black. Also had the St. Lucia for $40.
Cheers!
:drink:

[ Edited by: finky099 2016-05-13 15:37 ]

On 2016-05-13 15:37, finky099 wrote:

On 2016-05-12 05:05, arcadiandj wrote:

Was just at Hi Times today and there's still a few bottles of the 151 on the shelf (possibly more elsewhere, but I didn't ask.) On sale, too! Lots of the standard demerara and Jamaican pot still black. Also had the St. Lucia for $40.
Cheers!
:drink:

[ Edited by: finky099 2016-05-13 15:37 ]

You are so lucky living close to Hi Times! Are there any rums you don't have access to? (other than Lemon Hart?)

On 2016-05-14 23:19, arcadiandj wrote:

You are so lucky living close to Hi Times! Are there any rums you don't have access to? (other than Lemon Hart?)

There are always rums to be found for a rum collector. After you start collecting, you find the rums that you really like. Sometimes they take them off the market, so then you run around trying to buy up all the rum you can find before it is extinct. It is a vicious cycle :)

On 2016-05-15 12:42, lunavideogames wrote:
There are always rums to be found for a rum collector. After you start collecting, you find the rums that you really like. Sometimes they take them off the market, so then you run around trying to buy up all the rum you can find before it is extinct. It is a vicious cycle :)

Plus you go out and buy furniture too. As your collection of rums expands, so does your collection of vintage and modern cocktail recipe books and you need even more shelf space.

Vicious cycle is right, Luna! Fortunately we get to DRINK some of what we collect, unlike those who collect other stuff.

I attended Ed Hamilton's rum tasting yesterday afternoon. Tiki Central's JenTiki was also there, and we sat across the aisle from each other, and had a great time. All I can say is WOW! Not only was Ed's presentation delightful and informative, but we also tasted six different spirits including a new allspice dram which is on its way out into general release in the near future.

Ed truly carries the "real good rum" torch very high, and he truly has the love and passion for rum, and for really making a positive difference in the world of rum production and distribution. On top of that, he told stories which demonstrate that he has thick skin to deal with all the obstacles the producers throw at him. We learned that being a rum buyer alone is not very productive. You must also be persistent, develop trust in business and personal relationships while being of good character and integrity, make personal sacrifices, take risks, and do many other things to be successful. We gained a lot of insight not only into rum, but into Ed's myriad efforts to make things happen.

There are great cocktail and sipping things ahead of us from Ed. Many of us were able to spend some time speaking with him one-on-one and asking questions. All of us were left in awe over the wonderful quality of his products and his ongoing commitment to excellence.

Cheers to my fellow rummies!

Drinking rum before 10am doesn't mean you're alcoholic; it means you're a pirate!

Just spotted at Total Wine in South Florida, on a high shelf smack dab in the middle of the rum aisle ...

Looks like Ed is well-positioned to fend off the latest resurrection of Lemon Hart :>)

Kudos to his new Florida distributor, XXI Wine & Spirits.

I found Hamilton's 151 and 86 at my local Total Wine in Jacksonville, FL, yesterday. It's at eye level and right next to the Havana Club. Lemon Hart is not here yet, and I'm not sure it will be. They could push some of the overpriced crap rum off the shelves and replace it with LH.

I also found "ripoff" pricing on larger sizes of Cointreau which makes the small 750's the ONLY size which makes financial sense:
750 ml for $25.99
1 liter for $39.99
1.75 liter for $75.99

I'm guessing there's some BS reason this is so. Maybe the distributors are at fault? Or is this just some bizarre pricing from Total Wine? I've been cheerfully using my Cointreau at an alarming rate for Corpse Revivers.

Cheers!

Pages: 1 2 74 replies