Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hung my canoe

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

Finally hung my Marquesan replica canoe carved from Koa wood. It's around 14 feet long.

That is very impressive!

Absolutely awesome!

S

Okay, so where the hell is this joint and why are these the only picture!?

Amazing! I am a sucker for a canoe. Had to settle for a small ceremonial one in the Hideaway.

This does not look like a home bar. Or it looks like one of the most impressive around.

The home Tiki bar builders greatest envy: HIGH CEILINGS!

K
Keoni posted on Fri, Dec 12, 2014 7:43 AM

That's a well hung canoe.

T

It is a home bar. Ceiling is around 20 feet high. Been under construction for years now.

It's a beautiful space and a great looking canoe.

T

MORE overall pics of your Tiki bar PLEASE???

WOW! That's all I can say! Wow on both the canoe and your bar space!

Holy Cow!!! You been holding out on us...LOL. That place is fabulous. Please post more pictures. Your canoe is awesome...GREAT JOB!!!

WTF!!!

This place is off the hook bad ass!

-Longboard

When I saw the first pic I got concerned that the purple tie-downs were the permanent mounting method :lol:
Looks great! Looking forward to more pictures of your space

Tell me/us about your staining methods of your walls and ceiling. Looks great!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 16, 2014 5:04 AM

"Hung my canoe"----almost sounds like a euphemism of some sort.

For more:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34041&forum=7&hilite=tikivic

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-12-16 05:12 ]

looking lush!

T

Hey Grog!...how's it hangin? (not canoe of course).....

I'll try to get some photos taken over the holidays to post. Thanks everyone for the compliments. BTW...this particular canoe was obtained from the personal collection of Raymond G. Handley (prolific collector of New Guinea ethnographic art....born in Paramaribo, Dutch Guiana). Sadly Mr. Handley passed away in 2009. I also have another canoe he exported from Dutch New Guinea in the late 60's...the largest ever collected from PNG (about 30' long). Currently stored away.

Best wishes....TV

G

Those are gorgeous photos. I do remember seeing some from you some years ago. How is the space progressing and what are your plans for it? Is it a living space or bar? The lauhala and bamboo work you've done looks to be very well done. My ceilings are 12 ft so covering them with pressed bamboo board and bamboo trim was loads of fun. :) And I thought I had tall ceilings in my bar, but yours takes it to another level of challenge!

T

It was my living room. What started out as just a tiki bar ended up much more. The bamboo ceiling (20' high) took an entire summer to finish. After that I took a break for awhile. I estimate it's around 70% finished (if a tikiroom is ever finished!) It also has a wet bar with beverage center and Scottsman ice maker.

Simply Gorgeous! Cannot wait to see the holiday pictures. Thanks for posting.

K
Kanu posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2015 4:53 PM

Honestly one of the most impressive private home bars I've ever seen. Very well done. Need a live-in bartender? I'll move!

G
Gibbo posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2015 3:48 AM

FANTASTIC !!!

Pages: 1 20 replies