Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bob Hope's "Road to...."

Pages: 1 27 replies

"Heaven!"

He made it to 100 years old, just like he said he would.

I loved the "Road to..." movies with Bob & Bing.

Road to Morocco
Road to Singapore
Road to Utopia
Road to Zanzibar
Road to Bali
Road to Rio
Road to Hong Kong

Thanks, for the years of laughs,
Thanks, for uplifting our troops with your USO shows,
"Thanks...for the memories" Bob.

http://www.bobhope.com

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-07-28 09:27 ]

In my book, one of the greatest Americans that ever lived.

Also, I've heard has one of the largest collections of Hilter memorabilia in da world.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Hope in my hometown of Anniston, Alabama about 15 years ago. He was such a gentleman. He was staying at an amazing bed and breakfast there "The Victoria" and I was having a drink in their wonderful piano bar when he walked in. We only spoke briefly but it was one moment I'll never forget.

Thanks for that memory Bob.....

Loved his work...

Although this woman's book paints a different picture of the man:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0966891627/ref=ase_atriumA/103-9119733-1184647?v=glance&s=books

E

Yep, I've heard of her, David Icke's poster girl. Well, here are the facts:

1. David Icke is a card-carrying paranoid-schizo who is poisoning the minds of countless humans with his very timely and trendy ravings. I predict his will be the next Heaven's Gate tragedy.
  2. This woman is psychotic.
  3. People who believe a friggin' word Icke or anyone like him has written are themselves borderline paranoids who should seek help immediately.

sick of all forms of stupid-ass superstition, knee-jerk anti-authoritarianism, and conspiracy bollocks,
emspace (or maybe I'm one of them!)

E

...and just to help bring this back on topic, I will miss Bob too.

aloha,
emspace.

J

Greatest American??
funny guy yes, great heart yes, but I can think of more than a few Americans that rank a little higher.

DZ

Hey - I picked up 39 points for him in my 'Dead Pool'...

On 2003-07-28 10:35, Unga Bunga wrote:
In my book, one of the greatest Americans that ever lived.

ONE OF:
Connotation = plural
More than one

I met him at the Chin Chin Restaurant in Studio City (not far from where he lived) i 1995. He ordered the pork BBQ spare ribs. He and Dolores were with another couple. Our waiter gave me some receipt paper so I could get an autograph. He and Dolores were really nice about it even though Bob was already having a hard time hearing. Not to mention he's probably signed his name 50 million times during his lifetime.

Emspace,

Don't hold it in-it's bad for ya bruddah. Let it all out!

THEY don't want you to! :D :tiki:

K
Klas posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2003 7:31 AM

R.I.P.

K
Klas posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2003 7:49 AM

The movie is quite funny and for an exception there isn't any Hollywood "Yah! Yah!" dialogue if I remember correctly :D

It really is the end of an era. He was one of a kind. I for one will miss him.

I just saw "I'll Take Sweden"-some good Swedish sex jokes but the best is the California faux-Tudor track house masquerading for a Swedish cottage. Oh yeah, and Dina Merrill, Va VOOOOM!

E

On 2003-07-28 22:26, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Emspace,

Don't hold it in-it's bad for ya bruddah. Let it all out!

Hee hee! I never do, baby!

Had a memorable run-in with Icke himself...though it should probably be taken out of this thread...I emailed asking if he really believed his own b.s., or was he just (nudge, nudge) milking the gullible of their money. His webmaster immediately published my email address on Icke's website, and I started getting the most nasty hate-mail you can imagine. Quick mails to the people who hosted the site resulted in chastised apologies. Ever seen his website? Mmm-mmm, ugly, deranged, messy, like a look into the guy's head.

keeping the torch of rationality alight,
em.

Emspace,
I'm really glad you posted this, I had never heard of the man. I went to his Website and there were all the generic "Ancient Mysteries", the Illuminati, the hollow Earth, the CIA mind control experiments, Aliens and other common X-files stuff. None of it was new, exept, I didn't know we were being ruled by reptiles "from another planet". Truly entertaining.
Mahalo,
Al

Doctor Z, how could you miss having a 100 year old guy in you 'dead pool'? It's like having Catholic priests in your 'child molester pool'.

Emspace,

Did Icke ever perform a song about his "philosophy"? 'Cause in my book your not a true crackpot until you sing. My favorite, "With Eckankar" by Sri Darwin Gross.

Hey, I'm starting my own crackpot religion!We're gonna drink mass-quantities of sugar cane alcohol drinks, Dream about having sex with scantily clad Polynesian girls and worship wooden idols. The spiritual head will be a laid-back central European with a rum-crazed look in his eye.

Our Song:

When BigBro will call you,
Any night, any day.
You better run to his island,
Drink away, drink away...

Better yet, How about we live in a destroyed subterranean New York City and worship an atomic bomb?

"May the blessing of the bomb and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout descend upon us all"

SORRY FOR GETTING SO FAR OFF TOPIC

VITCO!

"Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah..."

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-07-29 15:17 ]

E

Hi Al, he's not very original, it's true. I think he was counting (successfully as it turned out) on a new generation's never having heard of any of this recycled claptrap. He has sold buttloads of books, and rakes it in on the lecture circuit. Entertaining...and dangerous as hell, a real 21st century Dark Ages hatemonger.

As for me, I'm joining Atomic's new religion! We have lots of hymns to choose from. Maybe start the service with a solemn rendition of "Princess Poo-Poo-Ly"...

:), em

On 2003-07-28 10:35, Unga Bunga wrote:
In my book, one of the greatest Americans that ever lived...

...who was born in England!

No disrespect intended - just wanted to make note! We'll miss you Bob!

FYI~

The TCM Channel (Turner Classic Movies) revises its schedule on Thursday, July 31th to pay tribute to Bob Hope.

11:00 AM The Road to Hong Kong
1:00 PM A Global Affair
2:30 PM Call Me Bwana
4:15 PM I'll Take Sweden
6:00 PM Bachelor in Paradise

THE one to watch will be Bachelor in Paradise. It has all the right reasons for me to watch:

~classic California scenery & suburbs
~the jawdropping convertibles
~Lana Turner (also jawdropping)
~musical score by Henry Mancini
~Bob Hope one-liners, of course!

Agnes Moorehead is also in it and I've always found her 'delivery' of her lines just hilarious!

Pizza & a movie tomorrow....followed by a martini too!

On 2003-07-30 13:15, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:

THE one to watch will be Bachelor in Paradise. It has all the right reasons for me to watch...

And the fact that he's a swinging bachelor!

I just got finished watching the Road to Bali ... loved the ending where Jane Russell has a cameo and takes off with Bing Crosby.

I used to live in Palm Springs ... Bob Hope was an icon down there. Like him or not, you can't deny that he left his mark on the American collective consciousness.

Thanks for the memories, Bob.

I think the best Bob Hope movie I ever saw was a ghost movie set in the Florida Keys or the Carribean (I think it was called "Ghostbreakers", but I'm not sure). It had a lot of really cool haunted house scenes, hurricanes, pirate ghosts and of course... ZOMBIES!

D

Tiki meets Bob Hope

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_23122408/bob-hopes-personal-belongings-go-sale-at-north

Bob Hope's personal belongings go on sale at North Hollywood church May 4

Hundreds of items owned by Bob and Dolores Hope will go on sale for charity next weekend.

The sale, starting Saturday at St. Charles Borromeo Church in North Hollywood, will benefit St. Charles Holy Family Service Center, which provides essentials such as food and clothing to needy Valley residents. Dolores Hope, who died in 2011 at the age of 102, was a member of the parish for some 70 years and a supporter of the service center. Her comedian husband passed away in 2003 at age 100.

A wide variety of the Hopes' things will be on sale, including antiques, paintings and pictures, furniture, books, holiday decorations, silver, Americana and all sorts of knickknacks. Memorabilia from Bob's long and varied show business career will also be available.

"There will be lovely awards that were given to my mother and dad, that had meaning for them," said the couple's daughter, Linda Hope, who will be at the weekend sale. "There are beautiful linens that we used on our tables. There are a bunch of pillows that are kind of fun ""Mother used to collect them "" with sayings on them. There's going to be a large amount of religious items because my mother was very much a Catholic. People used to send her things all of the time, most of which she collected in her bedroom."

It's all part of a nearly year-and-a-half effort Linda Hope has been conducting to prepare her parents' famous Toluca Lake homestead for sale. An auction of additional property from the estate of Bob and Dolores Hope will be announced by Julien's Auctions of Beverly Hills later this year.

"Little by little, the process continues here," she said, then added with a laugh, "I never knew people could accumulate so much stuff "" and so much of it lovely things. These are things that the auction people declined because they just had too much stuff, I guess, to handle it all. "

Prices at the cash-only church sale will range from under $10 to several hundred dollars an item. They'll all be displayed on tables inside the old church building, and of course it won't cost anything to come take a look.

"I think they'd be very pleased to know that we're affording their fans and people that knew her from the church and all of that the opportunity to see so many of the things that meant something to them," Linda said of her parents. "This way, there's certainly a satisfaction to know that somebody knows who they're from and is enjoying the item that Mother or Dad loved. "

St. Charles Borromeo Church is at 10834 Moorpark St., North Hollywood. Hours for the sale, which will tentatively go through Sunday, May 5, are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Pages: 1 27 replies