Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disappointed in Las Vegas (long-re: Taboo Cove/Venus Lounge)

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

The thing is, I've got no problem with rap music. Hell, I love a lot of rap.

But I'd rather not listen to it in a tiki bar.

A Vegas lounge revival could make a killing. Trust me...get some swinging crooners, some vintage cocktail waitresses, and get aging Gen X-ers to see it as a Destination, and you'll have thirtysomethings (and twentysomethings) flocking to it from all over the place.

-BCM

[ Edited by: Hawaiian Dick on 2004-08-03 14:53 ]

H

First time I went there they had Betty Page on the two T.V. screens and vintage music playing.Ahhhh.......

D

Unfortunately, I think that this is something we all are gonna have to pit up with. Especially for someone like me who lives on the east coast (Pittsburgh). We have one tiki place here (The Tiki Lounge) and I have to say that it is fabulous. Ive read that is was modeled after the Kahiki in Columbus. You know when I go there? On the weekdays. Because on the weekends is when they make their money, playing rap and hip hop and other crap that will pack the place. So, I avoid it at all costs Fri and Sat, and enjoy it the rest of the week. And they have Exoitca on the jukebox and sell lots of different mugs. It's what I've waited for in Pittsburgh. So, my thinking is , appreciate what you have, even if you cant have it seven days a week.

I was just speaking with Sven Koch VP of Trader Vic's upon his visit to Atlanta this week and he informed me they should be opening a Trader Vic's in Vegas hopefully by next September 2005. So, we will have a wonderful Tiki bar in Vegas after all.

H

WOW! What exciting news, Kiliki! He didn't happen to know where in Vegas, did he?

Even our beloved Tiki-Ti gets crowded and plays some terrible popular music. That's why we meet there on Wednesdays, when it's more quiet. Tiki-Ti, however, has much mana & history, spectacular service, and top-notch drinks.

Bummer to hear of it closing, though not surprising. It seemed like the sort of place they expected to have for a few years before changing it into the next, cool thing. Much of Vegas tries hard to stay fresh.

They are currently scouting out locations. They did consider taking over the space at Taboo Cove but weren't too crazy about the accessibility of the space so they decided against it.

He said it would be extra special!

D

On 2002-07-05 12:45, jukeboy56 wrote:
Sorry about your disappointment, Tommy. But let's be realistic here. Do you, or anybody on this board think that a 1950's tiki lounge, or rat-pack sleaze lounge, that was truly authentic in every detail could bring in enough business to stay open? Sure, it would be great as a museum of tiki, or a place to film the occasional movie scene, or a super clubhouse for the Tiki Central tribe. But, it wouldn't stay open more than a month.

I disagree! Last time I checked, which was very recently, both the Mai Kai AND Trader Vic's Atlanta (and I'm sure the other locations) stay true to maintaining the so-called 'pure' Tiki environment by playing the music, etc. that provide an alternative to the tired crap we hear everyday. And you know what? Business was just fine. In fact on my last visit to Vic's I was there on Thursday-Mai Tai night and I saw plenty of 20something/Paris Hilton generation type people streaming in. I was surprised yes, but happy to see that. No rap music, no MTV, none of that. Vic's Atlanta does have a TV on one end of the bar, but it is so unobtrusive, you hardly know it's there.

There are so many posts on this thread, I think I would need to book a vacation to read them all, but Tommy you're a cynical guy and I say Cheers to that my friend!! I'm with you all the way. I think people confuse cynicism with what should really be called accurate criticism, especially when it comes to commenting on the current state of Pop Culture. I have yet to go to Taboo Cove, but it sounds to me like they're doing what most people do in these circumstances....playing it safe. They are too scared to branch out and try something new (or in this case old) and different. That's why we have a billion radio stations in this country that just suck. That's why we have a world where Brittany Spears can fool a large audience into thinking she has talent, and make her a filthy rich millionaress. The music industry is dying, and I can totally see why.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'm grateful that I got to grow-up in arguably the last era of 'analog' pop culture (late 70s/very early 80s). Before MTV and all this other smelly rotten garbage we deal with these days. I don't know what the hell these kids are thinking now. They all seem to want to follow Paris Hilton and all that materialistic nonsense. Why would a generation of young people want to follow that. Today's Paris Hilton is tomorrow's shriveled up Zsa Zsa Gabor. I thought youth was about rebellion, NOT conforming to the material world. Besides if you ask me Paris Hilton looks like a Stork that lost it 's way to the aviary. Why in the hell do people think she's hot?

I don't think this is about getting older and being in you're thirties either. The generation gap is not the same today as it was in the 60s when the WWII generation was scratching it's head while observing the hippie/youth culture. Today if you are 30 years old or older you've seen enough alternative and wierd stuff to not be baffled by what young people are doing....except when they look like they are turning into a generation of Don Johnsons.

Richard Hell coined the term "Blank Generation" to define the people of the punk era. Well if they were 'blank', maybe a good label for the current crowd of youth could be "The REALLY Blank Generation".

Knowhaddimean?

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-08-07 12:48 ]

H

Chiming in with another example: the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's bar gets even more packed than Tiki-Ti on Friday or Saturday night. A mixed crowd, but generally the young & fashionable folks. Only traditional music, and played quietly, at that (usually can barely be heard). It has the benefit of being a bit of an institution.

Brad's Hale Tiki is managing to do quite well attracting crowds on weekends, and as far as I know, he hasn't had to break from his plan to play only appropriate music.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-08-07 12:33 ]

I totally agree with you , Donhonyc!!
When we opened the Conga Lounge a year ago, we swore we were going to stay true to the form and keep it old school. Our house DJ spins nothing but exotica, lounge, surf etc and you know what ? Its worked out great. We keep getting busier and busier and people are digging it. Even last night, we had a group of "youngsters" barely 21 who sucked on a Scorpion bowl and proclaimed "Duuuuude. Tiki is so coool !!" I asked them if they liked the Old School vibe and they said "Rat Pack rules !! Now even these youngsters are tired of the same old boom-thump-boom they get everywhere else.

What I've noticed in the last year is that what we do is appealing to the old and young alike and that's what's so awesome about it. We have "Old Fogies" all stary eyed, lamenting about the Zombie Village in the '60's, middle-agers enjoyong a cocktail in a "hip" non-stuffy enviroment, 30 somethings digging the retro scene and 20 somethings loving it for it's "alternativeness"
You can't go wrong and that is what these goofy pin-head execs don't see (re Taboo Cove) You don't need to have a place thumping Hip Hop to be cool and profitable !! You just need to have some imagination and creativity. To quote an oft-used phrase "build it and they will come"

[ Edited by: Conga Mike on 2004-08-07 13:46 ]

D

CongaMike-

I've checked out the wesite for the Conga Lounge before. It looks totally awesome. Glad to hear things are cookin the old school way. You are so right on the imagination and creativity angle. Something that is serious lacking in the world today. Continued success. If I ever make it out that way, you can totally depend on seeing me there. Mahalo! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-08-07 15:41 ]

Looking forward to it !!

On 2002-09-03 15:31, PolynesianPop wrote:
SlovakTiki,

I think you missed the whole point of my argument. I was responding to the general tone that tikiphiles nowadays believe that building/opening a tiki bar should be done right (authentic) or not done at all. However, as I said before, "I would LOVE to have it running the way an authentic tiki bar should but hey, you can't blame them for wanting to turn their investment into a profit. It is a business after all." . . .

. . .

I think aquarj explained it best by saying:
"Sometimes it seems we're all so thrifty when it comes to our own money, but not when it comes to the money of someone else who actually invests in a place like that. Like they're supposed to cater to a handful of tiki nuts who show up all the way from Timbuktu once in a while hoping for tiki nirvana, and who might be back to buy a couple drinks maybe once or twice a year. And the owners are supposed to perpetually maintain the place in pristine, authentic form (whatever authentic is) out of a pure love of the soul of the tiki experience. Yeah, I think that's a little unreasonable expectation."

I always thought it ironic that they would have blazin R&B and hip-hop at Taboo Cove while having Martin Denny album covers on the wall, but last time I was there, everyone headed to Venus nightclub (except for the bachelorette party). Therefore, I suppose that the Venetian is drawing in its target audience.

Even the beloved Purple Orchid plays a wide variety of music and, on occasion, shows the Laker game on TV, so even great, pure tiki bars enlarge the tiki concept in order to keep their doors open (although Purple Orchid also has special tiki nightsI).

Can't believe it's been over ten years since I wrote my critique/experience of the long-gone Taboo Cove, which was at the Venetian in Vegas. It seems just like yesterday that I had written this!! Does anyone know of any tiki happenings in Sin City 2012? Last year when I was there I visited Sunset Park (I think that's the name) to see the large Moai that was from Aku Aku at the former Stardust (sigh!), but it was fenced off for park repairs; I just can't get tiki-lucky in Vegas! At any rate, I happened to be on the web today searching for some info on Vegas, and my original posting on this thread popped up and I was transported down memory lane...thought I'd post again to commemorate a decade's passing.

All is not lost, I can recommend Frankie's Tiki Room as a relative newcomer to the Las Vegas experience. It's not on the strip, on West Charleston I believe, well worth the trip. Among many reasons to go, you'll find several very nice carved tikis by Tiki Central members, some original Shag art in the form of a Shag-painted and modified arcade (vintage?) "Love Meter" which is now a "Vice Meter," and craftsmanship in cocktails which are truly a breath of fresh air. Do a search here on TC for this place, and also go to their web site. And if you're in Las Vegas, definitely check it out.

Thank you!

On 2012-06-27 14:28, tikitommy wrote:
Can't believe it's been over ten years since I wrote my critique/experience of the long-gone Taboo Cove, which was at the Venetian in Vegas.

I, too, miss Taboo Cove. Its decor was incredible and, yes, it fulfilled its reputation as an authentic Tiki bar.

Can't wait to go to Frankie's for the first time! Last year, during the NHL pre-season, I placed a $20 bet that the Los Angeles Kings would win the Stanley Cup and they did!!! My wife and I are going there to collect my winnings, along with a free room at the Luxor and free airfare... Wish there were more tiki bars in Vegas... Can anyone recommend anything else tiki in Vegas? Thanks!!!

That's all there is in Vegas now, But you can check out Moss's (Frankie's owner) other bar the Double Down
Unless of course you meet up with any Tiki Central members who live in Vegas & get invited to their home bars?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-30 17:18 ]

This is a great thread, glad it was resurrected. I wasn't Tiki oriented during my many visits to Las Vegas in the distant past, but I do miss all the great hotels I stayed at and visited over the years...Vegas has lost a lot of its luster for many of us. Sad that professional thieves are stealing classic signs, buildings are imploding right and left and I am glad I never saw the TV, sounded like a travesty. Looks like the Taboo Cove was a great Tiki bar, obviously it lives on in pictures and the fond memories of those who had the luck to have experienced it. I am looking forward to visiting Frankies on my next LV encounter.

As much as I agree, I more strongly disagree as excellent Tiki environments - with a high TIPSY ratio - currently exist in Las Vegas. In addition to Frankie's, there is:
Mickey Finnz (with Tiki Diablo's Moai):

and Tahiti Joes:

Oh! Thanks for the recommendations! Only 2 weeks to go!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies