Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cheese Tonga Recipe

Pages: 1 4 replies

D
dawars posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2015 2:55 PM

There used to be a great Tiki restaurant in Westboro MA that had a wonderful appetizer that they called a "cheese tonga". It was a fried spicy cheese patty coated with bread crumbs. Sadly they closed and I am hoping to find a recipe for this awesome treat.

Thanks for any help.

If it melted when you cut into it then it was probably similar to fried mozzarella. If it kept it's shape after heat was applied then it was probably something like haloumi.

I doubt that it was anything as exotic as haloumi back in the day. Probably something sourced locally like mozzarella with a spicy breading.
In case you are interested, here is a link to Tiki Central's thread on the Honolulu Restaurant where it was served as part of the pupu platter.

I think you are right on the mark, Mike.

You're not alone in looking for this, dawars. I did a quick search and see at least one other person on the web asking the same question, but no recipes seem to have come to light.

In the worst case, I think your desire may lead you to experimentation in the kitchen. Aside from the covering on the cheese, you will have to determine if it was deep fried or pan fried.

Please let us know what you do, for the time being a re-creation may be the only answer until someone else comes forward with a recipe.

Pages: 1 4 replies