Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

War Club Stolen From Smuggler's Cove

Pages: 1 6 replies

H

SAN FRANCISCO TIKI BAR OWNERS WANT ART ITEM BACK

http://abc7news.com/news/san-francisco-tiki-bar-owners-want-art-item-back/508137/

by Elissa Harrington
Friday, February 06, 2015 12:00AM
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A San Francisco tiki bar is missing a priceless piece of art that used to hang on the wall. Someone stole a decorative war club and the owner wants it back.

The owner of Smuggler's Cove thinks a drunk patron smuggled that item out of the bar. He hopes that, with a sober mind, that person will realize how much it means to them and bring it back.

Smuggler's Cove is a three-story tiki bar in San Francisco. It's named on the World's 50 Best Bars list. It mimics a pirate ship filled with art pieces from all over the world. But one special decoration is gone - a wooden hand-carved Fijian war club.

Smuggler's Cove owner Martin Cate said, "It just particularly hurts when it's something special like this. It's not a beer mirror or something like that. It's something that was made especially for us."

It appears the club was ripped right off the wall, which is not an easy thing to do, since it was bolted down to some woven matting on the third deck.

There are security cameras, but Cate explained, "Sadly, the cameras were pointed in just about every wall except that one. But it wasn't very big so it'd be easy to get into a bag or under a coat."

The priceless piece had been with the bar since it opened. Cate thinks the theft happened sometime Sunday or Monday night.

"The assemblage of all these things, all these decorative art pieces, is really important to our image," Smuggler's Cove manager Christopher Ward said.

"I'm shocked. This place is gorgeous and so unique and I can't believe someone would steal someone else's property," customer Amrun Singh said.

Employees are checking sites like eBay and Craigslist. They're also spreading the word online and asking people to keep an eye out at flea markets. They're hoping the club somehow finds its way home.

This is a real bummer. It's a suck feeling when someone violates your space. Hope it turns up for Martin.

I hope it is returned. So sad that people would deface a wonderful place to imbibe and celebrate Tiki.

Send it back
One of my favorite Tiki bars...

This sucks! Do we have a picture or know who made the club so that we can all watch out for it?

K

Picture's in the link in the original post.

H

On 2015-02-10 11:02, lunavideogames wrote:
This sucks! Do we have a picture or know who made the club so that we can all watch out for it?

It was carved by Basement Kahuna. So far the best image we have is the one in the video clip.

Pages: 1 6 replies