Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

i need some good chunky salsa recommendations

Pages: 1 15 replies

J
Jay4 posted on Sun, Feb 8, 2015 9:24 AM

anyone know any,alot of the salsa's ive been getting lately are to watery and not chunky enough

[ Edited by: Jay4 2015-02-08 10:32 ]

Just like cocktails, fresher is better.

Take some tomatoes, some onions, some peppers, throw them all on the grill or under the broiler. Turn them over when they start to show a bit of charring. Remove from heat when both sides have a good bit of black on them.

Let them cool down enough to handle, chop as fine or as course as you desire. Add some cilantro, a dash of salt and pepper, enjoy.

Chip and Andy is right, make it yourself or go back to New York city!

Jay is Tiki Central really the place to post this question? try Google or any of the great
cooking websites.

On 2015-02-09 01:37, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Jay is Tiki Central really the place to post this question? try Google or any of the great
cooking websites.

Shhh...... the message was edited so maybe this edited question was a way of trying to stop an awkward situation.

Besides, a good salsa is a good salsa regardless of where the question was asked. One can not live by Crab Rangoon alone.

EJ

Besides, a good salsa is a good salsa regardless of where the question was asked. One can not live by Crab Rangoon alone.

110%

On 2015-02-09 01:37, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Jay is Tiki Central really the place to post this question? try Google or any of the great cooking websites.

Are you serious? http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34873&forum=6&2119

Really? A guy asks what Salsa in a bottle or can is good on TC
and you want to make that an issue?

Now if he wanted a good recipe to make it himself from scratch, sure
which is what the Food Thread is all about.

You really just lay in wait, so you can jump my ass, don't you Jefe
maybe you should step outside once in a while and get some fresh air
or read a book, try something a little more productive, you will have a better life
and stop worrying about every little thing I say on TC.

EJ

On 2015-02-09 22:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Really? A guy asks what Salsa in a bottle or can is good on TC
and you want to make that an issue?

Umm.....no you made it an issue. Remember your previous response?

Now if he wanted a good recipe to make it himself from scratch, sure
which is what the Food Thread is all about.

I don't think he is opposed to making it himself.

You really just lay in wait, so you can jump my ass, don't you Jefe
maybe you should step outside once in a while and get some fresh air
or read a book, try something a little more productive, you will have a better life
and stop worrying about every little thing I say on TC.

You make it so easy. I get outside often. I surf. I go camping. I read a book a week. Maybe you should do something more productive than bust someone's ass about Salsa.

T

Jay4 what salsa's have you tried? That would help narrow down what would be helpful (in case anyone here is interested in being a help). And I enjoy the convenience of a decent canned salsa.

Jay4-what’s your 10 4? Here in SoCal most Mexican supermarkets have a dizzying selection of fresh salsas. Everything from flavorful mild to volatile start your car liquid fire.
I never buy canned and I buy the salsa while I’m there buying limes.
Good luck!

To keep the salsa inline with the theme of this place

http://www.kontikisalsa.com/

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2015-02-10 04:19 ]

I know fruit salsa's were all the rage just a short while ago, and will be all the rage again in very short order.... I just want to go on record as saying that I don't like the fruit salsas.

If you serve them I'll eat them, it's not like I hate them or anything. Its just if I have a choice you can have the fruit stuff and I'll take the classic stuff.

And for those of you making your own salsa at home and who like your salsa to bite back....

The secret ingredient.....

Several brands available, Goya, Embassa, San Marcos, Costena.... they are all about the same so get what your market carries.

If you aren't already a heat-head then start small with this stuff. It is spicy. It is hot. It is yummy in canned form.

You can use just a bit of the pepper and a bit of the sauce to give your salsa a bite.

Or you can use a couple of the peppers and a lot of the sauce to get a salsa that bites back.

This stuff works best if you are making your salsa in a blender. Add the chipotle and adobe and give your blender a pulse, add some of your other ingredients and pulse, repeating until you have everything where it needs to be.

If you want to add this stuff to a coarse salsa, it is a good idea to still run the pepper through the blender and then add the puree to the coarse chopped other stuff. Let it sit for a while and come together flavor wise.

And whatever you don't use, pour into a zippy bag and toss in the freezer. It will keep a good six months in there.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-02-10 07:03 ]

For salsa in a jar I like El Pinto.

T

"tomatoes on the grill."

Yuck,
Mushy grilled Tomatoes.

I always make my own since I grow a lot of peppers in my backyard. The key, I have found, to make chunky style salsa is to put 2/3rds of your ingredients in the blender on low for a very short time. Add the rest of the ingredients AFTER that are just diced. That way it will be as chunky as you want it to be. I think making it from scratch tastes a lot better and it really only takes 10 minutes to prepare.

Happy to give you some hints or recipes too. Just let me know. Get out there and make it yourself! :)

On 2015-02-10 14:40, lunavideogames wrote:
I always make my own since I grow a lot of peppers in my backyard. The key, I have found, to make chunky style salsa is to put 2/3rds of your ingredients in the blender on low for a very short time. Add the rest of the ingredients AFTER that are just diced. That way it will be as chunky as you want it to be. I think making it from scratch tastes a lot better and it really only takes 10 minutes to prepare.

Happy to give you some hints or recipes too. Just let me know. Get out there and make it yourself! :)

Thanks Luna, my point all along.

Pages: 1 15 replies