Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum Bible

Pages: 1 11 replies

H

Found this while doing a bit of research on Key West for our vacation this year. There's a place called "The Rum Barrel". Granted that it's probably a bit "Key Westie" and "Buffett" for some here, they do have a link to a PDF file called "The Rum Bible". I haven't looked it over real well, but it does look quite interesting.

Link to "The Rum Bible":

http://rumbarrel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/rum-barrel-rum-bible.pdf

Link to The Rum Barrel:

http://www.therumbarrel.com

howlinowl

Mahalo Owl!. Interesting
Cheers

This used to be attached to the Pirate Museum. Or specifically the Pirate Museum used to be attached to the Rum Barrel. The museum has moved up-state to St. Augustine so now you just have the Rum Barrel.

The inside is mostly wood, kind of pirate-ey, kind of nautical, kind of key-west. There isn't anything Parrot-head in the decor, but you can see the key-west/parrot-head influence in the drinks and menu.

But!

This place has........

The Rum Bible!

OMG!

They bring this big binder over to your table and it is divided up by country. You can get a tasting flight and choose a number of rums to try and it is presented in this neat little bit of driftwood that holds a number of shot glasses.

You actually have to order a cocktail so you have something to drink while you look through the binder to choose what you want to drink. You need a drink while you decide what you are going to drink because this is a big binder and they make rum in a lot of places in the world.

Last time Andy and I were there I tried this great South African Rum that was amazing!

If you find yourself in Key West then you have to visit the Rum Barrel. There are other great places too, but this place needs to be included just so you can see The Rum Bible.

J

The "Rum Bible" could use a good proofreader, and fact-checker. Just sayin'

This touches on the benefits of making small menus for our home bars. It strikes me as a unique and fun way to present guests with what you're into. And the better you are at writing, the more interesting and entertaining you can make the book/menu.

Drift wood for holding and serving sampling glasses? What a great idea! Too bad all the drift wood on my beaches are protected. To copy that idea I'd probably have to fill my dryer with gravel, toss in a few pieces of wood, and then let it run for a few hours. But that would demonstrate a serious commitment to the idea, though! :)

J

On 2015-02-09 09:24, AceExplorer wrote:
Drift wood for holding and serving sampling glasses? ... To copy that idea I'd probably have to fill my dryer with gravel, toss in a few pieces of wood, and then let it run for a few hours.

Or not ... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdriftwood&_nkw=driftwood&_sacat=0

On 2015-02-09 10:45, JenTiki wrote:
Or not ...

Excellent idea! And then I bust a gut laughing out loud when I saw this - "Aquarium Decoration GIANT BLUE BALLS WITH DRIFT WOOD" and just had to look:

Truly priceless!

Dem resin spheres were very popular in the late 60’s-early 70’s. Most were cast in backyards. ”klick Klacks’consisted of two resin spheres that were connected with a 15” cord or so. The object was to move the spheres in a half circle until they collided and shot away in the opposite direction. Lots of fun till sooner or later one of the spheres shattered,. I don’t remember if they were outlawed or just fell out of fashion. Lots of them were used in lamps.
Back to the Rum Bible.
Thanks again Owl.

Where I came from (Southern California) we called those "Clackers" and they were very popular as prizes, and for sale, at the local LA Fair. I still vividly remember the sound they made. They were fun but eventually were very annoying. I think they just fell out of fashion and faded into oblivion.

I think the other balls, which ended up in furniture, table decorations, and other things from that era, were made of glass. Only the Clackers were resin or plastic.

Wow, a trip down memory lane, from back when I was just a wee little rum drinker...

THANKS for the PDF!!!

They have great super sweet drinks like this guy. :(

But they do have a lot of good rums. I tried many from their list that I hadn't tried before. Great place to taste rums!!!

The rum barrel is a great place to try rums. The prices are reasonable. There is a rum distillery around the corner, Key West legal rum. Also around thhe corner is the half shell raw bar. Its owned by the same group as the rum barrel. If you like seafood you need to eat t you there at happy hour. I recommend the buffalo shrimp and the key west pinks. If you are of hearty stock get a couple of oyster shooters to was it all down. Enjoy your trip.

Storm

[ Edited by: stormrider 2015-02-12 08:20 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies