Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Sam's Grog Grotto rum flight mugs - cheapos?

Pages: 1 13 replies

K

Take a look - what's your initial impression?

While they look nice grouped on the board, I can't help but feel that these are starting to come off cheap - maybe it's because of the bright colors and generic-looking face? Honestly, I already checked Oriental Trading Company (remember the $2 hat that Mahaloween 2014 eventers received and the grocery bag w/screen printed logo?) and Google imaged "tiki shot glass" but haven't found anything thus far. I still plan on buying a set and might be turned around - we'll see.

So...thoughts?

They're my least favorite of the new WDW mugs, but I still bought them for the sake of completion. I think they're unique, in that there's the TSGG logo on the back.

They're still better than most, I'll say that for sure.

F

Fairly simple design, but agreeable. Still, I think you're right in that the colors and design together make it feel like these were produced on the cheap in China. I assume these are made by whoever produced the mugs/ceramics released last year for sale in Adventureland and not produced by the Farm like the "official" TS ceramic mugs.

Well... the powers-that-be know these are most likely to get stolen... so it makes sense that they've produced them as cheaply as possible. (I have experience at this, trust me.)

On 2015-04-01 01:24, finky099 wrote:
Fairly simple design, but agreeable. Still, I think you're right in that the colors and design together make it feel like these were produced on the cheap in China. I assume these are made by whoever produced the mugs/ceramics released last year for sale in Adventureland and not produced by the Farm like the "official" TS ceramic mugs.

That's a good point. The Co-Op had some small shot glasses that were very similar to this.

L

On the topic of cheap, I have not seen it mentioned that the Polynesian Pearl mugs are plastic...what a let down on those.

S

On 2015-04-01 06:42, Loki-Tiki wrote:
On the topic of cheap, I have not seen it mentioned that the Polynesian Pearl mugs are plastic...what a let down on those.

Oh, wow, that's the first I've heard of that. That is disappointing.

From the Mousesteps website.

Every so often a black Polynesian Pearl will come out of the clam shell. There is already a white one for sale on ebay.

J

On 2015-04-01 03:55, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Well... the powers-that-be know these are most likely to get stolen... so it makes sense that they've produced them as cheaply as possible. (I have experience at this, trust me.)

Stolen? Aren't they meant to take home when you order the flight? I think that's what I saw in a picture of the menu.

This design looked familiar…

Compare it to this:

Little Dig Shot

This purple shot is shaped like the little Tiki mug from one of Brad's paintings, "Diga Diga Do." Manufactured by Tiki Farm.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=4315

The drinks come with a mug, you have no choice to not get one. That takes care of the stolen mug issue.

F

On 2015-04-01 12:16, Trader Tom wrote:
This design looked familiar…

Compare it to this:

Little Dig Shot

This purple shot is shaped like the little Tiki mug from one of Brad's paintings, "Diga Diga Do." Manufactured by Tiki Farm.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=4315

Thanks for the research, Trader Tom. I had not seen this design before, but interesting TF DID produce it, even though it seems very few made it to public hands.
:drink:

WOW! Nice that we get a reference to a rare mug, then. That's really cool. Glad I bought the rum flight!

On 2015-04-01 08:02, JenTiki wrote:

Stolen? Aren't they meant to take home when you order the flight? I think that's what I saw in a picture of the menu.

Yes, but they bring you a boxed set to take home with you rather than giving you the ones you already drank out of.

These ones are small enough that one could easily slip a second set in their bag or cargo pants pocket... especially if you've already closed out your tab and are sitting outside on the patio...

...not that the thought's ever crossed my mind...

Pages: 1 13 replies