Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Boy meets Boy luau!

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

Did anyone watch "Boy Meets Boy" last night on Bravo? The first "date" was a luau and all the pretty boys were drinking out of tiki mugs -- and sitting around a pool with several large tikis.

General Note - "Kill your television".

On 2003-07-30 08:45, TikiKini wrote:
. . . all the pretty boys were drinking out of tiki mugs

What were the ugly boys drinking out of?

K

On 2003-07-30 15:17, johnnievelour wrote:

What were the ugly boys drinking out of?

Cans.

pele

I'm not sure I understand it all but the fellas that I know that are, well, "That Way" tend to have Luaus on a regular basis. I think it might be because they get to wear flowery skirts and necklaces the whole time (as if they couldn't anyway). Amazingly... They always invite all the best looking chicks to these wingdings, too.
What good, though, is drinking a Sea Breeze out of a Tiki Mug (unless, of course, that is what you're in the mood for)? Were the guy's on this TV Show drinking Tiki Drinks? Or just drinking Vodka (or Zima or whatever...) out of Tiki Mugs?

W

After much hype and talk show discussion I felt I had to watch this show. First things first: Gay guys are not as interesting as they think they are. Any episode of "Elimidate" or "Blind Date" or "Date With a Monkey" offers far better trashy TV per minute. "Boy Meets Boy" was mostly an hour of smiling guys who looked like Mormon missionarys, all saying "I hope to get to know you beter." (Oh, and if you're ever a contestant on "Date With a Monkey" bring bananas. The monkey always goes for the person who brought bananas.) Maybe the hair pulling and snotty comments happen later in the season. As for the luau...Mostly plastic coconuts, those big plastic Party Tiki mugs, and cheapo fake flower leis. There were some nice big Tikis and at least one New Guinean mask, plus some real mugs decorating the back of a bar. The fast editing and exciting hand held camera shots were all focusing on the guys and the variations of their smiling. It all added weight to my theory that set designers/decorators are into Tiki.

On 2003-07-30 22:29, Traitor Vic wrote:
I think it might be because they get to wear flowery skirts and necklaces the whole time (as if they couldn't anyway

Traitor V,

Being Gay isn't being a Transvestite. And since we, as a group, are interested in Polynesian culture, you should be aware that the lava lava is worn by men (I'm wearing the one Shelly made me to the So Cal Int'l Tiki Day party!).

I know a few Samoans, that by their shear size, you would definately not make a derogatory comment to if you valued your face.

Good luck.

On 2003-07-31 09:19, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Traitor V,

Being Gay isn't being a Transvestite. And since we, as a group, are interested in Polynesian culture, you should be aware that the lava lava is worn by men (I'm wearing the one Shelly made me to the So Cal Int'l Tiki Day party!).

I know a few Samoans, that by their shear size, you would definately not make a derogatory comment to if you valued your face.

Which brings on another interesting question:
Is tiki racist?

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Port/2470/maori/plastic_tiki.html

On 2003-07-31 09:34, Unga Bunga wrote:

Which brings on another interesting question:
Is tiki racist?

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Port/2470/maori/plastic_tiki.html

UngaBunga:
Many things can be construed as racist. I may argue that your name is racist.

Personally, I say that if you feel a connection with tiki, then you should know the history (origin) from wence they came.

Wait... is't this post about plastic tiki decor?

I wouldn't say racists, but rather culturally insensitive.

But probably no more than mixing Santa Claus with that 'Christian religion' (or mixing Jimmy Baker with that 'Christian religion'; or mixing child molesters with that 'Christian religion'; or mixing killing with that 'Christian religion'; blah blah blah)

On 2003-07-31 10:58, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I wouldn't say racists, but rather culturally insensitive.

But probably no more than mixing Santa Claus with that 'Christian religion' (or mixing Jimmy Baker with that 'Christian religion'; or mixing child molesters with that 'Christian religion'; or mixing killing with that 'Christian religion'; blah blah blah)

Or, not letting dorks/kooks surf in your spots!!??

[i]On 2003-07-31 16:33, RevBambooBen wrote
Or, not letting dorks/kooks surf in your spots!!??

Wait! That's different. It's always open season on kooks! Locals Only.

I wouldn't say racists, but rather "culturally insensitive."

On 2003-07-31 09:19, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Traitor V,

Being Gay isn't being a Transvestite.

I don't think he was saying that. He said the gay people he knows may like to have the luaus for that reason.

~Hanford

May I give my "first hand" opinion? Almost anything that's "kitchy" is popular with gay men. Gay men like to make fun of themselves and anything "kitch" is very tongue-in-cheek, polking fun at our culture (read: don't take life and everything around it too seriously; after all look how we turned-out and we didn't exactly "sign-up" for this role).

We passed on hosting the Boy-Meets-Boy cast, crew, and participants as we were still shell-shocked from the insecure, nasty, Texas Ho who visited in April.

The show was plastic, the people were plastic, and I'm glad they all went back to their ignorant lives in Hollywood, away from Palm Springs, where they can impress each other with their facades.

Hmmm...I must have taken a bitchy pill this evening! :wink:

M

Boy meets Boy is definitely bad news.

On the other hand, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is hysterical. It's comedy gold, and easily the most entertaining reality show out there, IMHO.

And Kyan (Grooming Guru!) had on a shirt with a big Moai on the back in this weeks episode!

[ Edited by: martiki6 on 2003-08-01 08:23 ]

Okay...I have to step in and say something. I have been a member of this board for a while and have never said anything that would clue in to my orientation, but this whole thread just annoys the hell out of me.

Based on this thread, am I to assume that gay men are not welcome in the world of "tiki"? I for one do NOT wear skirts or sarongs when I go to a luau. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have EVER seen a gay man at a luau wear a skirt or muu muu.

I am totally in love with the tiki "lifestyle", and I enjoy the way it has set me apart from the other guys and girls I work/relax with. As a matter of fact, my being so "tiki" has nothing to do with my being gay...it has to do with my love for the Enchanted Tiki Room and Shag's artwork. So I don't understand where the whole gay/tiki connection really comes into play.

I guess working for the Walt Disney Company has given me the opportunity to learn about so many different cultures and has opened my eyes to so many different types of people, that I am just so desensitized (sp?) and cannot bring myself to exclude ANYONE who is interested in tiki from being a part of such a great movement.

I'm only 26, and all I have to say is:

"If you people are older than I am, and still can't bring yourselves to act like adults and get along...then don't post on this board."

Grow up and use what you have in common (tiki) to get over your differences.

Because of this argument, I am now totally afraid to go to any local Tiki events, thinking that I am not welcome because of my orientation...and don't get me wrong...I am NOT an activist out there looking for "rights" or "priveledges" that for the most part I already have. I am just looking to have a good time with other tiki-types who are mature enough to just let it go and have fun. I don't throw my orientation in your face like the people who knock on your door soliciting religion. I am a discreet (sp?) individual who simply takes offense to the comment that gay guys take luaus as a chance to get dressed up in skirts and crap like that.

Now that I have said my piece, I am going to shut up again.

Oh yeah...and I didn't like "Boy Meets Boy" because it was really fake looking...they should have done it with NORMAL gay guys who aren't models.

...Love "Queer Eye", but not a fan of Carson.

:)

Now I'll be quiet.

Based on this thread, am I to assume that gay men are not welcome in the world of "tiki"?

Tackett,

Not sure what comments in this thread would lead you to believe that, but the vast, vast majority of everyone at Tiki events are fine with gays. The vast, vast majority of people here on Tiki Central are, too. If one person said something you take offense to, remember, it's just one person's opinion. We've had people run out of this forum for gay-bashing ...

The reference to wearing skirts seemed to be a firsthand encounter with gays he knows.

~Hanford

It wasn't an angry message...it was a message of:

"*sigh...give me a break."

Sorry if it came across as angry.

T

On 2003-10-05 00:11, Tikitackett wrote:

Because of this argument, I am now totally afraid to go to any local Tiki events,

TikiTackett,

I think this thread has become something it isn't. I can only speak for events here in So Cal, but one's orientation has never, ever been even a vague concern that I've ever seen.

Do not be concerned about attending any event here in So Cal. I think I can speak for us all, we welcome everyone - even Jimmy Buffet fans!

Pages: 1 20 replies