Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TIKI POP will see a second printing ! :) Corrections?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I am happy to report that my publisher, TASCHEN books, sees cause to reprint my most recent tome. That means the first 10 000 have sold - a good sign for Tiki world-wide.

I got the short notice to give them any necessary corrections by the 13th (printing is the 15th). All the while I am still on location in Havana, Cuba, and I do not have a copy with me. I will be working of a PDF.

If anyone can find grammatical errors and typos, please post them here, I will ad what I don't find myself (my main correction is that the English text in the "Artists" chapter does not parallel the images for the individual artists halfway down the line - while the French text does a better job at it)

Mucho Mahalos, Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2015-05-09 11:35 ]

I just got my copy a few days ago, and I'm about halfway through it. I'm a stickler for grammar and punctuation, and I haven't seen any problems (in English, at any rate). My biggest problem with it is that it's so hard to put down!

Well, there is no mention of how "I" personally, brutally destroyed Tiki, sooooo.....

Well, I will be grateful for even the smallest hints, like the lack of spacing after a period for the new sentence, or other lil flaws like that.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2015-05-09 13:57 ]

Congrats on the 2nd printing Sven! Well deserved!

Sven,

Congrats on the second printing, 10,000 happy customers around the world! As a point of reference, how many copies of the Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern were published?

Will send you an email on corrections.

DC

On 2015-05-09 13:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well, there is no mention of how "I" personally, brutally destroyed Tiki, sooooo.....

Dam Hipster!

OK, here we go....

Corrections to the French (with the original English first for reference purposes):

p. 66 the most spectacular of their time/très spectaculaires pour l'époque => les plus spectaculaires de l'époque

p. 72 not native to Los Angeles/n'est pas endemique à Los Angeles => n'est pas originaire de Los Angeles

p. 73 Native Californians mingling with painted island natives/Indigènes californiens en compagnie d'invités insulaire => Indigènes californiens devant une muraille dépeignant des figures insulaires.

p. 87 ship-jumpers/passagers clandestins => déserteurs

p. 109 When Don returned from service in World War II/Quand Don revint de la Seconde Guerre mondiale où il avait servi comme soldat => Quand don revint de la Seconde Guerre mondiale où il avait servi sous les drapeaux *

• Note for the translator: He was not a front-line soldier in WWII; according to Wikipedia, he ran a rear-area rest and recreation facility for officers.

p. 123 tall ships/gros navires => grands voiliers

p. 124 You're a sap Mister Jap/Tu nous sape la morale Monsieur le Jap => Tu es un grand con du Japon

(NB this translation is quite rude but is more accurate than the original translation, and it rhymes...)

p. 196 held its own/écrasé la concurrence => résisté bien à la concurrence

p. 281 get into a muu-muu/savourez un muu-muu => mettez un muu-muu

p. 311 Pacific/Pacique => Pacifique

p. 319 utensils/Ouils => Outils

p. 323 interior décor/décorum => décor

p. 326 Les Baxter conducting Jungle Jazz/Les Baxter dirigeant sa formation Jungle Jazz => Les Baxter dirigeant sa composition Jungle Jazz

p.367 at the Tikis/au Tikis => au parc des Tikis

Note that these are my suggestions as a non-native speaker of French and should be passed by the translator for approval (who may very well shake his/her head at some of the things they missed).

Best wishes

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ Edited by: Club Nouméa 2015-05-12 19:34 ]

Thank You much, I passed them on.

Pages: 1 8 replies